• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyway to change the CDMA version to GSM?

gh0atd

Dec 28, 2009
I know this is a rather odd question, but, I know that on the damageless rom, it defaults to locate for GSM Radio Towers. Now, I know there is two HTC Hero devices, The Eris (GSM Version) and the Hero (CDMA Version), however the ability to search for different towers in the Damageless rom has me intrigued on if it is possible at all.

Why I ask is, I am going out of the country, specifically to the carribean islands and mexico. I am wondering if it is at all possible to use it like that. I really doubt it because I don't think that the CDMA version is backwards compatible with the GSM version, but I thought I might as well ask.

Hm, I could have sworn their was a GSM Equivalent of the Hero, but either way, oh well. :(

I know it prolly has something to do with the hardware/chipset, but was just wonderingg if that menu you can use to change the cell towers would be of use.

no you cant...and the eris is on verizon which is cdma the gsm version is called the hero...

if you go out of the country then idk if you will have any service since im pretty sure we are one of the only counrtys to use cdma besides for canada...

but no you cant have it go off of gsm you would need a sim card i think?

Upvote 0
I think you're correct--the radio on the US versions (Hero and Eris) is simply not compatible with GSM. If it were, you could probably use the menu you are referring to to switch frequencies.

And like I said, the European Hero uses GSM, but the US versions do not. Its too bad adding radio frequency compatibility is so expensive =/

Upvote 0

if you go out of the country then idk if you will have any service since im pretty sure we are one of the only counrtys to use cdma besides for canada...

only Western Europe is exclusively GSM. SE Asia has an equal number of GSM and CDMA carriers. A lot of military members make a second living exporting certain CDMA cell phones from S. Korea because they will work on the Verizon network, not sure about Sprint. I am new to Sprint so I am not sure about their freqs. I also know some of the S. American countries use CDMA, as my phone worked in Peru, Ecuador and Mexico.

There is more info here

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones