• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[APP] GrooVe IP - Google Voice VoIP

I tried GooVe IP lite today, one problem is that text messages were not coming in at all, is this a bug? FYI using a Galaxy S III on Sprint, rooted but stock.

To receive SMS in GrooVe IP you must have Text Forwarding to email enabled in your Google Voice account. And you can not have any filters defined for those email messages.

Upvote 0
Mine is setup that way and works fine with talkatone but does not work with GrooVe IP, am I missing something?

If you're using talkatone at the same time it's possible only one sign in into your account will get the notification for a new sms. The only setting that should be required is the text forwarding to email. Also you can't have any forwarding or filtering rules for those sms emails.

Upvote 0
Talkatone recently added the Google Voice APIs to support SMS directly in the app, Groove IP doesn't yet.

Not really sure what you're talking about. Google doesn't publish any APIs for Google Voice SMS. The Text Forwarding to email in Google Voice will send a notification to any app signed into Google Voice through Google Talk. GrooVe IP and Talkatone use that notification to log in to the Google Voice website and pull down SMS messages. Talkatone does that on their server, GrooVe IP does it in the app. It's possible that Google will only notify one sign in into your account, so if you are using both apps only one will get the notification. In addition, I believe Talkatone also polls for new messages on their server and then sends those to the app.

Upvote 0
Not really sure what you're talking about. Google doesn't publish any APIs for Google Voice SMS. The Text Forwarding to email in Google Voice will send a notification to any app signed into Google Voice through Google Talk. GrooVe IP and Talkatone use that notification to log in to the Google Voice website and pull down SMS messages. Talkatone does that on their server, GrooVe IP does it in the app. It's possible that Google will only notify one sign in into your account, so if you are using both apps only one will get the notification. In addition, I believe Talkatone also polls for new messages on their server and then sends those to the app.

Sorry my bad, its apparently only a feature in CyanogenMod:

https://plus.google.com/110558071969009568835/posts/8P17ezLpi5c

Upvote 0
Sorry my bad, its apparently only a feature in CyanogenMod:

https://plus.google.com/110558071969009568835/posts/8P17ezLpi5c

Think that's a bit different, it still uses the Google Voice app. The closest would be Fusion Messenger. The dev reverse engineered the Google Voice app and does things how the Google Voice app does. Unfortunately that's not a documented or published interface by Google. We're hesitant about doing that because Google could decide they have an issue with it.

Upvote 0
I believe tasker can broadcast intents. These are the intents to start and stop GrooVe IP

<intent-filter>
<action android:name="com.gvoip.START_GROOVE_IP" />
<action android:name="com.gvoip.STOP_GROOVE_IP" />
</intent-filter>

This is exactly what I was looking for. With a little research I was able get these commands working in Tasker. Thanks for such a quick response.

I've been researching these commands for Tasker but am still unable to find the proper steps to broadcasting intents. It appears as though it is a very complicated process...I hope I am wrong. Do you mind sharing your solution to killing Groove IP in Tasker by broadcasting intents? Thanks.

Upvote 0
Google is discontinuing the XMPP feature of gv.

Is Groove IP married to google? Or is there another XMPP-triggered VOIP service out there?

If not, R.I.P. groove ip!

I posted this on our Facebook page. Might as well repost here:

As some of you have already heard, on May 15, 2014 Google will no longer allow XMPP based calling through Google Voice. Since GrooVe IP uses that interface, the app will stop functioning on May 15, 2014. The good news is the date is over 6 months from today and you will be able to continue using GrooVe IP until then. And hopefully by that time similar functionality will be available via an official app from Google.

Due to this news, we'll be dialing back our development on GrooVe IP and shifting our focus to other projects. Barring any critical issues, version 1.4.6 will likely be the last update for GrooVe IP.

While this means GrooVe IP will end, it isn't the end for snrb Labs. We recently released Tether It, and have other apps planned and in development. We appreciate your support through the years and hope you'll continue to support our future efforts.

Reactions: Pinan
Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for the well wishes and support over the years. Really means a lot to us. We are working on a few other apps and just recently released a tethering app called Tether It. Not sure if we'll release another VoIP calling app or not.

As a user of Google Voice I'm hoping that Google will update hangouts to provide VoIP calling. They recently added the capability in their iOS app, just not in android yet. So even though GrooVe IP is going away the capability should hopefully remain available.

Upvote 0
Just recently heard the unfortunate news. I really like GrooveIP and how much money I'm saving using it!
Will there be updates on this thread by snrb as to a replacement app by Google or is that sort of against business? :)

Also, I'm having issues receiving texts via GrooveIP. I have it forwarding texts to my email and I get them there but I either don't get them in my GrooveIP app, it takes longer to receive them, or when I get them I don't get an alert at all so I don't even know I got them unless I check my email. I was using Google Voice app to receive them but I like the interface of GrooveIP better and it's one less thing I have to use but I can't figure out how to get it to work right. You said something about not having any filters on the emails. How do I check to make sure I don't have those?

Also, if I reply in Google Voice by text, it shows up in my Groove IP app but again, I don't get any alerts.

Upvote 0
I have a Google Voice account, attached to a current land-line.

I'm a cheapskate. So I'm trying to figure out if I can use Groove IP to drop using the land-line, without using another phone (such as a cell phone) once the set up is complete.

Could I run Groove IP on a Wifi Android tablet (not an Android phone) without using that number once the set-up is complete, or would Google Voice sometimes still call me?

And could I stop using that or any phone? I want to make sure that google voice won't call it once everything is set up, even if my tablet is not in a WiFi zone, or is turned off. (We would still have the land-line in our home, but it would be used by someone else.)

Is that possible? Or is MagicJack really the cheapest way to replace a phone with an Internet service, if I want to be able to make and receive phone calls (to and from land lines), and get voice mail when I am not home and not in a Wifi zone?

I'm looking for answer for both Groove IP (about $5) and Groove IP Lite ($0).
Thanks!

Upvote 0

I'm a cheapskate. So I'm trying to figure out if I can use Groove IP to drop using the land-line, without using another phone (such as a cell phone).

Could I run Groove IP on a Wifi Android tablet (not an Android phone) without using that number?

And could I stop using that or any phone? I want to make sure that google voice won't call it once everything is set up, even if my tablet is not in a WiFi zone, or is turned off. (We would still have the land-line in our home, but it would be used by someone else.)

Is that possible? Or is MagicJack really the cheapest way to replace a phone with an Internet service, if I want to be able to make and receive phone calls (to and from land lines), and get voice mail when I am not home and not in a Wifi zone?

Thanks!

I think the best thing at this point is obihai w google voice.

Upvote 0

I'm a cheapskate. So I'm trying to figure out if I can use Groove IP to drop using the land-line, without using another phone (such as a cell phone) once the set up is complete.

Could I run Groove IP on a Wifi Android tablet (not an Android phone) without using that number once the set-up is complete, or would Google Voice sometimes still call me?

Thanks!

You could use GrooVe IP or GrooVe IP Lite to make and receive VoIP calls. GrooVe IP now integrates with Ring.To, so you could get a free US phone number from the app. You'd only be able to make and receive calls from the tablet if it had a data connection (e.g. WiFi).

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
I think the best thing at this point is obihai w google voice.

Google Voice normally requires you to have another phone number - a phone number which it calls when incoming calls occur. What I'm basically asking is whether there is a way to avoid that call using GrooveIP, and whether that call is avoided even when the Android tablet is off or is not in a WiFi zone.

Wikipedia claims

"Google Voice will terminate support for XMPP in May 2014, which will stop service for 3rd party apps and devices that use the XMPP signalling protocol including Talkatone, GrooveIP and Obihai.[70][71] In contrast, the GVJackApp for magicJack and the GVMate Phone Adapter both of which are signalling independent will not be adversely affected and will continue to work for users as normal after support for XMPP has been terminated."

Similar remarks were made in some of the other posts above. But either that hasn't actually happened yet, or it is wrong, or "support" refers to technical support, not to whether or not XMPP still works. (Incidentally, if GVJackApp and GVMate work without XMPP, I would assume GrooveIP could be revised to do so too.)

(I have already used a device that connects a computer running Skype to a phone via an RJ11 modular phone plug. But while Skype is great, it charges more for incoming phone numbers than MagicJack does. I need incoming and outgoing call ability.

Upvote 0
But Ring.To requires you to provide another number too - so it might have the same potential problem, of forwarding incoming calls to that number, if the device running it is off or in a WiFi-free zone. Does it have that issue?

If you load GrooVe IP you'll be able to select a new phone number. You don't need to have an existing phone number when signing up through GrooVe IP. If the device is off or doesn't have service then the call will go to voicemail.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
As an alternative to GrooveIP, I just tried Google Hangouts, making calls back and forth between my computer and our land-line.

It seems slow:

1. There is a 1-2 second delay between saying something an the outside phone and hearing it in Hangouts, and vice-versa!

2. After I hit "Answer" on an incoming call, it takes about 10 seconds to do actually do so - by which time they would have likely have hung up.

Have you folks had the same experience, or does the problem only occur on slow computer?

What would be the comparable delays in other services, like GrooveIP and MagicJack?

Upvote 0
Since nobody has chimed in, I figured I would add my two cents. I am on an older version, so somebody else might have a more up to date answer, but the best to accomplish this, that I have found, is to set GrooveIP as a dialer option from your system contacts. I hope that this helps.

Is there a way to add contacts without them having to call me?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones