• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App Permissions: Audio Output

Nick H

Lurker
Apr 26, 2019
Has Android announced any intention to include "audio output" as an adjustable setting in the App Permissions menu?

There are some apps out there that automatically play loud audio on the login screen or require the audio to be manually turned off after logging in. Since I listen to podcasts/music regularly, it would be really nice if I didn't have to go through the following everytime I want to listen to my own media whenever I want to use these problem apps:
1. pause my podcast/music
2. mute the overall media audio setting for my phone
3. open the noisy app, login and manually turn off the audio within the app
4. Un-mute the overall media audio setting for my phone
5. Restart my podcast/music
6. Resume utilizing the muted app

This is very annoying to deal with on a regular basis. Especially when I forget to mute the phone audio first and get blasted with the app volume by surprise and have to rewind my podcast to catch the part I missed while dealing with the app audio.

I am aware that there are apps out there that will mute the phone's overall media volume when opening specific apps (such as App Volume Control by SpyCorp) but this mutes all media audio while the app is open, which means my podcast gets muted (without being paused) for the full duration the app is open, which is perhaps even worse.

It would be nice to have an across the board solution for this problem at the top level from Android, instead of having to protest/request updates from app developers that are unresponsive or have no intention to fix the issue. It would be nice if I could simply turn off an "audio output" permission specific to these apps under the Android settings and never have to deal with that problem again.

I read somewhere that Samsung may have released something to help with this issue on their phones, but unfortunately that doesn't help a non-samsung android user like me.

Has anyone found a solution to this issue?

(Sorry if this is a repeat thread, but I couldn't find any other forum posts specifically related to this issue when I checked before posting)

Thank you very much for your assistance!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones