• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[APP] Roam Control

In my office, my phone was constantly cycling between a poor Sprint signal and Verizon (alltel). Cell Standby was around 60% of battery usage. Now with your app there's no more cycling, I just need to remember to put it back on automatic when I leave my office so my data speeds up.

My wish list:
  • Support for Tasker. I saw you have talked about this.
  • A widget so I can have some indication if I'm automatically roaming or force roaming. The widget might also indicate EvDO vs 1x, but for now, I know if I'm roaming it's 1x.
  • Optional Notification bar icon instead of or in addition to widget.
  • Some way of knowing on whose network I'm roaming.
  • Ability to do some lower level PRL tweaks as has already been mentioned.

Some questions.
How does the phone normally decide to switch from "Home" to roaming? can it monitor two signal strengths?

Support for tasker is done...I'd like to do a widget and/or optional notification icon next. I'll have to look into displaying the current roaming network. As of now, I won't be adding support for PRL updates...from what I've seen, it gets a little tricky and I don't want to introduce any potential for bricking data or whatever can happen when a PRL is corrupted.

Upvote 0
I'll have to find out how to tell what tower you're on, I'm sure there is a way. Data should be slower - 1x speeds to be exact, that's the roaming agreement between Sprint and Verizon. How's the voice when roaming?

Well I have only tried 2 locations. My basement and the Data center at work. both places give me very choppy voice with lots of dropped calls (sprint). I think the Datacenter is a lost cause , but the basement is much improved. Thank you.

Upvote 0
Evo on stock ota 2.2, rooted with Unrevoked.

I purchased and installed this app yesterday... set it to roam, and it never acquired a signal, and im in a very strong verizon area. the phone just sat with no signal. i attempted to call out once, and while dialing out, the roaming triangle suddenly showed up, and it dialed, and i got a verizon error saying that the call couldn't be completed. so, it did connect to the verizon network, once i tried dialing out.

now, my phone refuses to stay connected to sprint's network. my phone shows full bars and 3G, but they're grayed out, as if they're not active. i cannot receive phone calls or text messages. i set the app to sprint only, then went as far as to even uninstall the app, with no improvement.

if someone calls me, it rings on their end, and then goes to voicemail. on my end, my phone never rings. they can leave me a voicemail, and i never get notified of the call or the voicemail. ditto with text messages. you can text me, i never receive it.

now, after people calling me, leaving me vm, texting me, all with me not receiving any of it, if i dial out from my phone, bam!, i get it all at once. when i dial out, the grayed 3G and signals turn white, and all of a sudden my phone connects to the network and downloads everything. however, as soon as i hang up the phone, the 3G and signal bars gray out again, and the phone isn't actively probing the network.

with roam control now uninstalled, ive tried selecting and deselecting the built in phone options for mobile connectivity, always-on mobile data, etc. with no improvement.

my phone was 100% fine prior to installing roam control, and ive changed nothing else, so i know this is related to having roam control installed.

Any suggestions, MrGreg, before I do a nandroid recovery in hopes of restoring everything? I'm a little annoyed at myself because I didn't do a backup prior to installing your app, so when I do a recovery, it's going to take my phone back to the 4th of January. Oh well, if it fixes the connectivity issue, I'll chalk it up to a learning experience.

Edit: Sent your email, read your site, and realize I'm likely one of those small percentage of ppl with a problem. If you would like any info regarding my phone ie: baseband, kernel version, etc for debugging purposes, let me know either on here or via email. i'll wait a little while to hear from you, then i guess i'll try a nandroid to see if it fixes it

Upvote 0
Evo on stock ota 2.2, rooted with Unrevoked.

I purchased and installed this app yesterday... set it to roam, and it never acquired a signal, and im in a very strong verizon area. the phone just sat with no signal. i attempted to call out once, and while dialing out, the roaming triangle suddenly showed up, and it dialed, and i got a verizon error saying that the call couldn't be completed. so, it did connect to the verizon network, once i tried dialing out.

now, my phone refuses to stay connected to sprint's network. my phone shows full bars and 3G, but they're grayed out, as if they're not active. i cannot receive phone calls or text messages. i set the app to sprint only, then went as far as to even uninstall the app, with no improvement.

if someone calls me, it rings on their end, and then goes to voicemail. on my end, my phone never rings. they can leave me a voicemail, and i never get notified of the call or the voicemail. ditto with text messages. you can text me, i never receive it.

now, after people calling me, leaving me vm, texting me, all with me not receiving any of it, if i dial out from my phone, bam!, i get it all at once. when i dial out, the grayed 3G and signals turn white, and all of a sudden my phone connects to the network and downloads everything. however, as soon as i hang up the phone, the 3G and signal bars gray out again, and the phone isn't actively probing the network.

with roam control now uninstalled, ive tried selecting and deselecting the built in phone options for mobile connectivity, always-on mobile data, etc. with no improvement.

my phone was 100% fine prior to installing roam control, and ive changed nothing else, so i know this is related to having roam control installed.

Any suggestions, MrGreg, before I do a nandroid recovery in hopes of restoring everything? I'm a little annoyed at myself because I didn't do a backup prior to installing your app, so when I do a recovery, it's going to take my phone back to the 4th of January. Oh well, if it fixes the connectivity issue, I'll chalk it up to a learning experience.

Edit: Sent your email, read your site, and realize I'm likely one of those small percentage of ppl with a problem. If you would like any info regarding my phone ie: baseband, kernel version, etc for debugging purposes, let me know either on here or via email. i'll wait a little while to hear from you, then i guess i'll try a nandroid to see if it fixes it

Sent you a response through email

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones