• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

App who want access of our contact list and photos are safe to use?

henrayjem88

Lurker
Aug 11, 2023
Now days, when ever I download any app, 90% of app want our access of contact list and photos, my question is why. This will make them access our data through apps? My question is these are safe to use or not? We need some of the apps, because we really need them. Lemme know your point of view regarding these apps?

Now days, when ever I download any app, 90% of app want our access of contact list and photos, my question is why. This will make them access our data through apps? My question is these are safe to use or not? We need some of the apps, because we really need them. Lemme know your point of view regarding these apps?
It depends on the type of app.

A media app may request permission to access your files so that it scan for files it can play, for example. It shouldn't need contact or gallery info.

If you are installing from a reputable source such as Google play store or the Galaxy Store (for Samsung phones) it should be ok.

You can always deny or go into app info and revoke access if you find it questionable.

Upvote 0
Both contacts and photos access are things that you should have to allow yourself (unless you have a very old phone), so you can just not grant the app access.

I do not find that the majority of apps ask for these, but maybe you just install a different type of app from me. I'd always ask "why does this app want that?", and if I can't see a reason I'm wary: it could be data mining, or it could just be badly coded, but either way I don't want it. ;)

But it's not always obvious why an app might want a permission, e.g. a flashlight wanting Contacts access is a red flag, but a flashlight asking for Camera access is not suspicious because on some phones that's needed to turn the flash on. Many audio apps want phone access not to make calls but so that they can mute when a call comes in. Often apps will tell you why they ask for a permission, but if not it may require a little thought. Personally my default is that if an app asks for things I can see absolutely no legitimate reason for, even if I can deny it that access, I don't install it, but you do need to understand the range of reasons why a permission may be requested.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones