• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps getting worse?

crippsy_99

Jan 1, 2011
UK
Anyone else finding that apps from the android market seem to be getting worse according to other user reviews?

At the moment I have 7 apps with updates available for them, but user reviews say after recent updates, they're infested with ad's which make the game unusable, or get in the way etc such as 'air control lite'

Others are saying they're simply becoming unusable, or losing features and crashes, such as twitter, youtube, facebook and even google maps! As a result, ive left them as they were, but seems a bit silly it update apps which then dont work anymore.

I believe everyone want to get paid for their effort isn't it? We developers want to earn a living like anyone else. Unlike other profession, it is hard to get recognition for the effort we do. So I believe developers start to think of new business strategies. One could be the initial version is free with no ads to establish a huge following first. Then after that push out an update with ads so we can get passive income from ads.

I believe this is not wrong. The only concern is when developers overdo it and load too many ads in their app leading to bad user experience. It is same concept as website with ads. Appropriate amount of ads will not ruin a user experience but too many will.

Upvote 0
I did have two bad experiences with app updates. One was with Google Maps where an update made the GPS unable to lock on as well. This wasn't fixed until a later update which did came rather quickly (about a week or so). After this update, I have refrained from updating many apps unless it comes with a feature that I really want or until after it seemed to be stable.

The other was with a game that puts ads in the Android notification bar. My objection to this update is that I did not know which app was putting ads in my notification bar. I have no issue with viewing ads, but when I'm not even using the app and it shows me ads which I need to respond to and I do not know which app is doing it, I take exception to it. I promptly removed it. The developer felt the backlash from many people and put out an update to remove ads that pop up in the notification bar. After that, I reinstalled the app.

I have noticed a large number of negative reviews by users in the Android Market. I'm thinking that it is the vocal minority that has had issues with apps and they are more likely to comment. I also think that large number of users who like the app and rate it very high do not bother commenting. I am more inclined to comment if I don't like an app than if I do like it. I have also noticed that some of the negative comments appear to be more due to user error than a problem with the app. Someone can't figure out something and think the app is broken. I have updated/installed apps that have reviews that say something is wrong and I have had no issues with those apps.

Facebook and Maps seems to have the most negative comments. I think the most popular apps will more negative reviews as it is more likely someone will have a problem with it. I have been wary about FB, but after a while, I do update it. I have had a few issues with the tablet version, but none with the phone version.

Upvote 0
Google maps, facebook, and twitter are probably the 3 apps I use the most on my phone..
The reviews on maps have improved again so have just set that to update, but facebook and twitter are still getting nearly all 1 star reviews and comments about force crashing, or cant see profiles and things which are basic uses.

Im looking at getting an android tablet in the next month or two, but hope they arent still being reported as this bad by then when i'll have no choice but to use those versions!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones