• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps I want...

shadragon

Jun 29, 2011
I have owned my HTC Incredible S (2.3.3) for a few weeks now and there are some very simple things that my old Blackberry did that I cannot do on my phone now. Here is a list. If you know of an app, then please let me know. :D

1) Ability to turn the phone off from a preset time to a preset time.

When sleeping I do not want to hear alarms, alerts, beeps, burbles and calls. On the BB I could say turn off at 11PM and turn on at 7AM Mon-Fri with another schedule on Sat-Sun. I can only turn it off manually on the HTC. (Note: I know I can get an app to silence the thing, but I want it turned off and powered down for a myriad of reasons.)

2) Cache BOTH username and password VPN credentials.

When my PPTP VPN connection closes I have to type the password back in as the HTC only caches the username. I would like an option to cache the password as well so when I come back in range of a wireless hub I reconnect to my VPN automatically. My phone locks and I can delete it remotely if lost or stolen.

3) BBM for Android. This has been rumored all year yet still nothing from RIM.

4) The ability to rename icons.

I have several (6) mail accounts. My current icons on the desktop are called "Mail" or "GMail" which is hardly descriptive enough. The ability to have an icon for single mail accounts or mail groups (As I designate them) would be a great thing. Would like to rename some of the icons in "Settings" as well so I can order them better.

5) This issue is Android only. As I have 6 mail accounts, how do I force "linked contacts" or those in common with several mail accounts to merge? The majority in my "People" contacts are 2-4 of the exact same contacts so they repeat making for a loooooong list. They are "linked" on the phone, but I only want to have one contact for "Fred Davis", not four. Can I not squish them all together leaving one People record with all the info?

*NOTE: I figured this one out. By linking you can merge record info quite easily. It would be nice to have an automated way of doing this though.*

Thanks all.

Cant help with most of these, however:

(1) Can't be done. Something like tasker or timeriffic can be used to enable/disable notifications to a schedule, or enable/disable all phone/data/wifi traffic full stop. You may even be able to schedule to turn the phone off at a certain time, but i dont think there are any android devices which will auto power-on on a timer. Once the phone is off, it's off.

(4) Desktop visualiser.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones