• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Apps safe to remove

I deleted the preinstalled apps I didn't need with Link2SD.
Then I totally linked all user installed apps that where on the internal storage with it.
I then linked just the dalvik cache of the apps I moved to the external SD with App Manager lll's GUI.

I keep my caches clean with SD maid Pro and Easy Cache Cleaner.
I safely free up RAM using Fast Reboot.

76 user app's (quite a few that are 30-40MBs) and still have over 650MB of free internal storage.

Internal Storage space, and free RAM are the key.
Get those numbers up. Internal storage and RAM being to low (below 150MBs of storage will make it hard to install any new apps).

Are SD maid and easy cache cleaner smart about ignoring certain apps? When I use the systems cache cleaner it wipes out chrome's saved open tabs.

Reactions: sailmakered
Upvote 0
I deleted a lot of system apps but I think the cause of my phone being stuck at the boot logo was because I converted many apps to user apps and then uninstalled them as user apps. Also I converted some apps to system apps to free up user space. The last thing that may have hosed the phone was I was attempted to use titanium to restore sms, vpn connections, and other system settings from my lg motion, but the lg motion had tb version 3.9.

I have link2sd working, and would like to remove the chrome that is wasting space in the system directory, I think that's what everyone is asking. What's the safe way to delete it from system, especially since i upgraded chrome to the latest version? Convert to user, or?

When i used link2sd to link the /data/data to SD, it caused all apps that were linked to load extremely slowly. So now I only link the apk, Dex, and library. But my current SD card is a class 10 card.

I have one more question, there's an app that stores huge amounts of data, its called "show box". It saves tv shows to the pseudo SD card as ./shoebox. How would I link this to the real SD card? Do i install a shell and run a standard Linux ln -s command?

It should be listed in folder mount with the days it takes, just pair it with the SD card and mount it with the little pin

Reactions: Nintendo1889
Upvote 0
Hey, has anyone removed successfully or tried to remove and failed...Google Maps? I tossed Sygic maps on my phone, like it a lot, and now I need to know if goomaps is safe to get rid of.
HAPPY
HUMP DAY!

I've successfully done this, but I installed 6.14 immediately after. I agree that maps v7 and v8 run like molasses on this phone.

Here's the one use 6.14.5, it's the very latest I could find. I've scanned it for viruses.

https://mega.co.nz/#!JIZUETyZ!s7mhTjlk0m9Mj8D7vMI8dyFaEae9FT3ycmmkZU8IT0A

I use Waze for traffic info, and use google for searching. Waze has searching but it's listings only. It's hard to tell if it's results are in the direction that you're heading (anyone from Atlanta knows what I'm talking about). Google owns Waze now and they're using its traffic info in Google maps (in version 8 I'm sure but I'm not sure about 6 and 7) but it doesn't seem to have the real-timey-ness that Waze has or the ability to report radar traps, accidents, and traffic conditions.

I've never tried sygic maps, I'll check it out.

Yeah I have the same problem with TB/U the pro version will only load in the phones storage and cannot be moved to the sd card. All I can do now is wait to see if someone can find a work around this storage room problem.

Would folder mount work for this?

Upvote 0
I forgot to mention, the phone is rooted. I understand what you are saying, but my question is can i safely uninstall the stock sms app?

I wouldn't do this. When I boot my phone without the SD card in it, and reboot with the sdcard back in, the default message app becomes the stock one, and neither is on my ext4 link2sd partition.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't do this. When I boot my phone without the SD card in it, and reboot with the sdcard back in, the default message app becomes the stock one, and neither is on my ext4 link2sd partition.
You could always convert the desired sms app in to the system and uninstall the stock on, its what i do and it works good. I use google hangout as my default sms.

Upvote 0
A quick toss here. The MetroPCS phone has the T-mobile "system manager" application on board with the snoopware "carrier IQ". I froze this with Titanium with no issues, and then uninstalled it with no issues, checked it by doing several reboots, so I'd definitely add that one to the list. (It was active and snooping...fyi)

Do you know what system manager app has the carrier IQ? I have three versions of system manager, System Manager App 1.28, Sytem Manager Notification 1.6, and System Manager Toggle 1.1.3. Also do you know if any of them are safe to delete using Titanium Backup?

Upvote 0
Do you know what system manager app has the carrier IQ? I have three versions of system manager, System Manager App 1.28, Sytem Manager Notification 1.6, and System Manager Toggle 1.1.3. Also do you know if any of them are safe to delete using Titanium Backup?
If I recall, those are the T-Mobile IQ things that has a pinkish icon?
If so I've deleted all them, along with the other apps in /system/cust/overlay with no problems

Upvote 0
-LG Home Selector
-LG Home Theme
I have home theme and home theme Biz, are both safe to delete? If I ever go back to the stock theme, will I need to keep a backup?

Also I would add update center, app updates, clock widget, dictionary, lg flashlight, video trim, voice recorder (tape-a-talk is much better), think free, Bluetooth file transfer, box, alarm clock (if you've installed another one), calendar 4.3.13 (the one on the play store is the same app, but installs as a separate app alongside this one, so you have dual notifications), cloud print, and quick translator (where is this app ever launched?) are safe to delete.

I also deleted voice search 2.1.4, but I can't tell what it does. I like to know what an app does before deleting it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I need some help if anyone can. I deleted the lg calendar as well as the calendar storage apk (i thought it was just for the lg calendar app). I got the Google calendar as a replacement thinking it would also replace the calendar storage, but it didn't and now I can't save any events. If anyone could post the android calendar storage apk for 4.4.2, that would be awesome.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones