• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Are components like bottom sheets, nav drawers off the shelf from a library?

Rhya

Lurker
Mar 16, 2017
Hey guys,

I’m from a design background so just wondering about a few dev implications. When it comes to Android Dev, do you get all the components like bottom sheets, toolbars, snackbars and buttons ect.. off the shelf from a library? Pretty much everything from the Material Design component list.

Thanks.

Most of the components you'll want to use are in the Android framework UI libraries. Sometimes you need something that isn't provided, and if you're lucky, someone has developed it for you. The main one for me was a draggable ListView - I wished to allow users to dynamically move the order of items in the list. Fortunately some kind person had developed the standard ListView to do just that, and I used it in my project. That's the great thing about open source, the community can support it and make it better.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones