• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are you a geek? Geek test!!! :D

I programmed mine as well - they usually had paper tape or punch cards. The first TI calculator came out the following year, programmable ones after that. I owned an HP desktop calculator for scientific use - it was the size of half the desktop, weighed about a ton. :)

Never had need of a portable, programmable calculator.

The damn sad part about those calcs is each teacher only allowed a certain model in thier classroom. So at the end of high school i had a TI83 TI86 and a TI89.. lucky i was able to reuse the 86 senior year :eyeroll: then in college i had to downgrade to a basic calc for the first two semesters. Meh.

Upvote 0
I'd forgotten those days - yeah - I seem to recall paying over and over for the kids' calculators now that you mention it. :mad:

But that's just part of the deal, if it wasn't one thing, it'd be another. What I objected to was that it seemed that classes were being taught in calculator-lus rather than simply teaching first principles in the first place. And to compound matters, as you know, having to re-focus on different models caused as much confusion as anything.

I'd best stop now before I complain about the lawn! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones