• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are you finding the Huawei Mate 20 Pro very buggy?

Gobshyte

May 13, 2020
Are you finding the Huawei Mate 20 Pro very buggy?

I've bought Huawei for the last 10 years or so and this will be my last. Opted for the 20 as their last Android. I have found it very very buggy. Firstly I noticed screen locks up after continuous use, which seems to happen less frequently now. Worst bug is total lock up when trying to access photos from any app. So if you need to upload a photo it just locks up, this send to be even worse and only total reset will bring it back to life

This being a 2018 model, did you just buy it or have you owned it since then?
If the former, was it preowned? Have you tried doing a Factory Reset? Even if the previous owner stated they did it's usually a good idea to do so yourself anyway with any used phone.
If the latter, back up your data (check and then double-check your backups are present and accessible), and try a Factory Reset. That's a bit of a drastic measure but since you've referred to multiple problems just focusing on one or two problematic apps don't appear to be a solution.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I've done several factory resets and it's had several firmware updates so these bugs are totally inherent to the Mate 20 Pro, the worst Huawei I've owned. I'm just not sure why I never heard about this before I bought one, but I think I'll be buying something else pretty soon, but I've always liked the Huawei Leica Cameras

Upvote 0
... the worst Huawei I've owned. I'm just not sure why I never heard about this before I bought one, but I think I'll be buying something else pretty soon, but I've always liked the Huawei Leica Cameras

Well it could be a matter where you never heard about this model being so problematic because as a product line it wasn't a significant issue by other Mate 20 Pro owners, it's just bad luck you happened to get what appears to be a dud. Simply because your particular phone has issues does not necessarily mean every other Mate 20 Pro will be the same.

Upvote 0
FWIW I've got a Mate10 as my secondary phone, which is previous to the Mate20, and never had any problems at all with it. And in fact it's still be undated and supported by Huawei, even after four years.

However I changed to a Samsung Note20 Ultra as my daily use phone, mainly because Huawei no longer has standard micro-SD storage on their devices.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it could also just be that your phone is old now. most phones have a life span of about 3-4 years. mainly because of the battery as well support for the phone usually ends around that time. and the same will go for the software. older android os will not get supported by most devs and so apps will either stop working or start to misbehave.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones