1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

ASUS Teases: Is it a Pad or Phone? [Phoneblets]

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by phandroid, May 23, 2011.

1. phandroid

phandroid Admin News Bot

Read for another phoneblet? ASUS – hot off the heels of what many are considering a very successful Transformer launch – is teasing another tablet. Or phone. Or something. On their Facebook page, they’ll be revealing teasers of their latest device leading up to its unveiling at Computex in Taiwan. There’s no way to tell [...]

More...

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ZukoFan

ZukoFan Newbie

Maybe an e-reader?

Do they have any phones out already in the US?

Z

3. log1c

log1c Android Enthusiast

stupid, Nokia already created a tablet phone and that is what it is simply called, a tablet phone

4. NowVoyager

NowVoyager Android Enthusiast

A tablet/phone is the one thing which makes sense. I hate carrying around extra gadgets. The one that combines phone/tablet, adds a folding bluetooth keyboard and makes it viewable in sunlight will get my vote!

5. Decibles

Decibles Newbie

I would probably kill for a nice 7in Tablet with 4g and a great speakerphone (and obvious Bluetooth) to make calls. A sunlight viewable screen with a decent FFC, quality (read: METAL) kickstand, and a dock similar to the ASUS Transformer and I'd be able to quit carrying around pretty much anything else!

SamuraiBigEd likes this.
  6. SamuraiBigEd

SamuraiBigEd Under paid Sasquatch!

That would be awesome, plucked straight from my wishlist! Let's hope Asus has the guts to pull it off, no other manufacturer seems interested.

7. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert

I can see Asus pushing the envelope on ideas like this. First time I saw the Transformer, I thought man what a great idea. Hopefully they keep coming up with solid game-changing forms.

8. janpetras

janpetras Well-Known Member

Neah, 5.5inch MAX. No way I'm carrying something bigger than that around as a phone. Imagine how you look talking at it. 7 is too much. Look at the existing 7 ones. Too big to double as a phone.

A 5.5" would be ideal. A tablet/phone.

9. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert

Yeah some people still hold a phone to their ear, like me. I wouldn't want anything bigger than 4.5" for a phone personally.

10. NowVoyager

Well considering that most ppl use bluetooth, I imagine that one wouldn't look any more conspicuous than they do now. And even if I was prone to use the phone to my face, I would opt out of that so as not to mar the screen with makeup, facial oils etc.

We played around with the Samsung tablet in the store over the weekend. I wouldn't have a problem with a similar form factor in an Asus phone. I imagine being able to talk on the phone and surf the web or complete tasks simultaneously on this thing. It sounds heavenly!

11. ravinder820

ravinder820 Lurker

I wouldn't want anythings bigger than 4.5" for a phone personally

12. substring

substring Android Enthusiast

I wouldn't want any phone larger than 4.5" either. Now, it will be great if they can fold the screen to reduce the carrying size and yet can open up to a larger display screen....i.e. 4.5 and 4.5 to open up as 9" screen. I know Samsung is working on such "foldable" screen. But it is probably a couple years away from being considered in production.

Personally, I will not buy any phone with fixed size screen larger than 4.5". And if I want a tablet, I will go for the 10 incher which is closer to the laptop screen size. In my humble opinion, when it comes to viewing, SIZE DOES MATTER. :) 5", 7" and 8" are just too awkward to me.....not small enough to put in pocket and not large enough to view comfortably.

13. SamuraiBigEd

SamuraiBigEd Under paid Sasquatch!

14. goodereader

goodereader Lurker

15. HTC Evo 3D

HTC Evo 3D Lurker

I think the atrix with the docking station is a better idea. I would rather dock in a screen with a keyword if I am going to bother docking it.

16. NowVoyager

But it wouldn't be a tablet then, would it?

17. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert

18. AndreNeil

AndreNeil Lurker

I prefer the tablet phone size as it is easy to bring in the pocket and also it creates lite weight and it is a big factor.

19. pat3332

pat3332 Well-Known Member

Motorola blew it with their laptop dock for the Atrix. For $500.00 I can buy a much nicer laptop and still have a good smartphone that isn't tied to AT&T.

I really like the idea of the phone docking in the tablet and only having one data plan and I bet ASUS can pull it off at a decent price.

20. Norril

Norril Android Enthusiast

Kyocera has a folding phone/tablet coming on Sprint. Someone may have already posted on this, but I haven't been keeping up on the forums lately.

Sprint Echo