• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [AT&T] Help please. Stuck: HTC One X, rooted, but not unlocked bootloader

baddoor

Lurker
May 13, 2012
Hello.
Surfed the forum for an entire week regarding rooting and unlocking the bootloader.

Its HTC One X, 4.0.3 ICS, on AT&T
Managed to root it using OneXRootOneClick method (onexroot.com)

Tried to backup through the fastboot method before flashing the ROM... and when I went to the fastboot screen, and clicked on Recovery, instead of giving options of recovering Vs backing up etc., the phone immediately just wiped everything and started clean slate.

Read in detail more, and realized there is no unlockable bootloader from htcdev.com (thanks effing AT&T!!). The only current method is the one posted recently on xda (by using the Hex editor and changing your ROMs code to think it's Rogers').

So now when i restart into fastboot, I see at the top the phone is 1-tampered 2-locked 3- S-ON .. (i restored all software and data and settings, and backed up everything on titanium afterward).

So... Questions (mostly directed towards ElPresidente and other moderators..)

1. Beside achieving root access and SuperSU, what else can i do with a rooted android if I cant unlock it in order to flash it?

2. How do i get ClockWorkMod on so i can backup my ROM onto my SD? And is it doable if I cant unlock my bootloader?

3. What options are there from here? (a rooted but unlocked device without CWM) And do i need superCID , busybox etc?

You should be able to unlock you bootloader by going to Htcdev.com and clicking "All Other Supported Phone Models" at the bottom of the list then following all the steps.
For your recovery, (you have to unlock the bootloader first) I recommend TWRP recovery.
Techerrata Downloads - Downloading openrecovery-twrp-2.3.3.0-evita.img
move that file into your onxroot folder
to get the recovery on, you have to put your phone into fastboot (after it's bootloader is unlocked) and type "fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.3.3.0-evita.img"

Hope that answers some of your questions! :)

Upvote 0
I'm a little confused as to how you have root access? Was this just a temp root method? If it was permanent your phone should be s-off.

You stated you are locked & s-on, which sounds to me like it is not rooted.

You can try HTC Dev all other supported devices as suggested. But if you have a one-click s-off method, it's not even required that you unlock the bootloader. You can flash a recovery through your bootloader once you are s-off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones