• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [AT&T] Rooting and Installing CyanogenMod

artbytes

Android Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2011
So, if I root a phone and install CyanogenMod, will that do away with the ATT software that was on it before? What about unlocking?

What I want to do is to take the phone to Italy, and get a SIM card for it there. I've read that others have been able to get a card that includes both voice and data. They use their phones for calls and as a personal wifi hotspot while there. I want to be sure that the phone is unlocked, and that I can turn on the mobile hotspot feature once I'm abroad. The ATT software is preventing turning on the mobile hotspot feature without authorization from them - and that won't work from Europe with another SIM.

Yes, it will replace the entire stock ROM. You will need to have the device unlocked prior to doing so because flashing after market firmware like CyanogenMod does not sim unlock.
Thanks. I'm glad that you told me that.
I've tried to unlock that phone several times - too many times. I think there was something wrong with the unlock code, because I've unlocked other phones without any problems at all. It says that if you are unsuccessful 5 times, the phone is permanently locked. I talked to a man at a store who said he could get it unlocked for $35. I was hoping that what I was going to do would unlock it and avoid that charge and step.

I saw a video on YouTube about how to root and install CyanogenMod all at once. CyanogenMod has an installer to do that. Would I have to get the phone unlocked before I do that - or what would be the best way to proceed?

Upvote 0
Yeah. Guess what. I was just able to unlock my phone. I searched some more and found instructions on another forum. It seems that the GS3 has a known issue with not accepting the unlock codes. You have to go into a service menu and make a few changes, and then it accepts the code. SO - my unlock code from ATT worked after all.

Now, I have to decide the next step. All I really need to do is to be sure that the phone is set up so that it can enable the wifi hotspot function while I'm in Italy. Do you think that rooting and installing the CyanogenMod is the way to go, or is there an easier way?

Upvote 0
Sorry a bit late. That is an option. Alternatively, there is a zip you can flash in custom recovery that will fix that for the AT&T I747 on android 4.4.2 NJ1 firmware. It is up to you. I guess the zip is easier since you won't have to set everything up again.
Thanks so much for your help. I reset the phone to the factory settings before I started all of this, since it's a phone I'm not using at present. I thought it would be best to start clean. Therefore, the setup isn't a problem. That zip does sound good, though. I would assume that I will have to root, and then use Odin to flash the firmware. I really don't know all that much about all of this. I rooted a phone once before, but never did anything else with it. I'll have to find the files for all of this and good instructions.

Upvote 0
Well, I was able to easily root and install TWRP. That all went very smoothly. I backed up, as well.

Now, I'm totally confused on what to do next. The more I read, the more confused I get about ROM's and what they do, exactly. I'm on 4.3 now. It looks like I don't want to go backwards because that often bricks a phone.

You recommended some firmware above. (4.4.2 NJ1 firmware - for ATT i747). Is that custom firmware? Does it remove all of the ATT stuff? Thanks.

Upvote 0
You don't want to flash anything that downgrades your boat loader or modem. Luckily, custom rom zips do not mess with that. There are a ton of kitkat(4.4+) roms for the North American S3. You can install any rom that is D2att or D2lte. I'd go with one of the latest Cyanogenmod snapshots since you want everything to be as stable as possible.

Cyanogenmod snapshots can be downloaded from http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=d2lte&type=snapshot .

You will also need a Gapps package you can grab from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2397942 . Pick one that suits your needs.

Download both and place them in phones storage, if you have a micro sd card inserted it would be best to place them there just in case you accidentally delete the internal storage. In twrp, you should wipe Dalvik Cache, system, cache & data. Then, install the Cyanogenmod zip. Afterwards, the Gapps and reboot.

Upvote 0
Well - a big thanks for walking me through this. I was able to install the new ROM - and used the one that you said. I tested and I was able to turn on the portable hotspot. I configured it and was able to connect with my computer. Yeah! I don't have a sim card with the proper account on it, though, so I won't really be on Internet until I get to Italy. This was a lot further than I've gotten with my any other tries, though, so I think this was worthwhile. Before, I couldn't even turn the hotspot on. I'd love to send you some virtual chocolate chip cookies, or something. Thanks, again.

Reactions: alexizawesome
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones