• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Attempting to root Samsung SGH-I537

ghost25

Lurker
Jun 12, 2011
Okay, so I got rid of my iPhone 4 recently and upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S4 Active (man, gotta love these naming schemes!). I had done rooting before, on a Pantech Element, so I'm not entirely new to the game. However, I'm running into a somewhat irritating issue.

The whole reason I want to root in the first place, is so that I can remove the AT&T bloatware that I'll never use, because as we all know, those are the apps that update the most. They suck down the most data, and use the most space. They suck, period. That, plus having the ability to send more apps to live on the removable SD card is a nice perk.

I've so far downloaded the Samsung Kies program, for backups (even though I deliberately haven't done any real customization to this phone yet), and I've also downloaded Odin3 3.04. I have CF-Auto-Root-I9525.tar, I also have CF-Auto-Root-jflte-jfltexx-gti9505.tar.md5. I have (I believe anyway) most if not all of the correctly associated files downloaded, but something isn't working right.

The day I was going to root this device, it was running Android 4.2 and self-updated (absolutely no permission or desire from me, I didn't even know it was doing it!) to the 4.3. This may end up turning into a massive pain in the rear for me. I moved away from Android in the first place due to being sick of constantly un-installing updates to default software since every Android I've owned has been locked down.

I've since attempted to use Odin to cf auto root this phone, but keep getting a failure on it. I've tried using the I9525.tar and the gti9505.tar.md5 both, but neither works.

I've downloaded activeroot, superuser, SuperSU, SU Update Fixer, but nothing seems to work. Is there anything I'm missing here, or did I just straight-up miss the boat on this one? I don't have an option as far as switching devices, so if I can't root this I'll just have to live with it for a while, but if at all possible I'd like to get this taken care of.

Any advice or help you can offer? Thanks for input, and feel free to ask for clarification if needed.

Kingo should do it. The only problem is their server. Connect to it and go get a beer. When you finally connect, download it and sit down to supper. These guys could use some serious donations to buy better hosting.

Once you have the program (I assume you've already loaded the Samsung drivers from SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones) plug in your phone, hit the Root button, sit back and you'll have a rooted phone.

BTW, S4 is the 4th phone in the S series. Active is for active people - it has some water-resistance protection. But you're right - I'm waiting for an Android Roto-Rooter to come out.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your feedback Rukbat. Unfortunately, Kingo didn't work. The install went with no problems, but the root attempt failed.

I've been doing more research tonight, and I found the following sites:
Step-by-step guide to Root, SafeStrap and ROM your ATT Galaxy S4 Active SGH-i537 - xda-developers
How to manually root almost any Android device - Pocketables
How to Root Android - Page 2 | Maximum PC
ClockworkMod/TWRP Recoveries | GalaxyS4Root.com

I've been reading through these, particularly the MaximumPC article, but it seems that the "forced update" kinda killed my chances for now. It looks like it requires Build Number(s) MF1, MF2, or MF3, and I have build ML2. So, it looks like either AT&T or Samsung locked the exploit that would have allowed root access? (or maybe I just need to go back to Linux and see about brute-forcing my way in that way lol!)

I'll keep looking and trying different stuff, but I appreciate the help. Keep it coming, here's hoping we can figure this out.

EDIT: Apparently, I have the i9505 version, which is the US version; and i9500 is the international one. Somewhat of an important note, it would seem.

Upvote 0
ghost25 and Rukbat, I have the same issue. I tried using the geohot activeroot fix. I don't want to "brick" my phone and make it useless by trying an app that has not been tested and secure. I saw XDA and other forums list oneclick or activeroot but don't know if they apply or work for my firmware? I also see confusing information on different versions such as those for the MK or MF firmware, not (i537UCUBML2) version. Can you please offer me some guidance and clear information on the steps and app(s) to obtain root?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones