• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
samsung_galaxy_s23_ultra_rooted_by_lebigmac_www.systemrw.com.jpg

BRAND NEW DIY TUTORIAL BY LEBIGMAC ! How to ROOT your boot.img with Magisk (for Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra & more)
NOTE: For Android 13. Your bootloader needs to be unlocked for this procedure to work!

1) Download your device's firmware from the internet (check your firmware version in 'About phone' > 'Software version')
Extract and unlz4 boot.img and init_boot.img files from your official stock firmware
unlz4 boot.img.lz4 boot.img
repeat this step for the other file as well
I have attached my original S23 Ultra boot files for your convenience ;)

2) Install the latest official Magisk on your phone. The one I included for your convenience is deprecated already and doesn't work properly! To make it kind of work you can go into Magisk settings and set toasts to 'none' and the prompt to 'grant'
Code:
adb install Magisk-v25.2.apk

3) Patch both boot.img and init_boot.img inside Magisk app (click 'install' > 'select and patch file')

4) Rename both files to boot.img and init_boot.img respectively (the larger file should be your boot.img)
Code:
adb shell "cd /sdcard/Download/; mv magisk_patched_*.img boot.img"
adb shell "cd /sdcard/Download/; mv magisk_patched_*.img init_boot.img"

5) Tar both files with this command:
Code:
adb shell "cd /sdcard/Download/; tar cvf boot_patched.tar boot.img init_boot.img"

6) Pull the patched tar file from your device to your computer
Code:
adb pull /sdcard/Download/boot_patched.tar

7) Reboot phone into Download mode:
Code:
adb reboot download

8) Execute Odin as administrator in Windows and select your new boot_patched.tar in the AP slot

9) Flash it

10) Enjoy your rooted device :D

If you like my hard work please consider donating at the link below

Thank you very much for your support!

Forever yours,
lebigmac

DOWNLOAD ATTACHMENT HERE

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
so the question then is how to unlock the bootloader. most devices can't be oem unlocked. so i guess the only way is to pay for a service to unlock the bootloader. am i correct in this assumption?
Hello. What result do you get if you run this command?
Code:
getprop ro.oem_unlock_supported

Why would anyone want to root their phone in 2023? What function can they possibly gain that outweighs the functions they will lose? Rooting is so ten years ago...
Why wouldn't anyone want to root their phone? Rooting is fun and you get to know the internal mechanisms of your device a little bit better.
By the way did you see how much bloatware is inside that new Samsung S23 Ultra? I've never seen an Android phone with so much useless bloatware. The first things I disabled were the Knox and the Bixby LOL. Thank God my new Ultimate DIY Custom ROM Maker app has an integrated debloat feature ;)
New version of my app should be ready soon. Also working on that official Samsung-RW patch as we speak. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why wouldn't anyone want to root their phone?
Because they would rather use Samsung or Google Pay; their financial institutions' apps; and manage their crypto portfolio. Many apps involving money will not run if it detects an unlocked bootloader/root access. With that much RAM on my device, I don't care about bloatware that I can't disable in Settings, if it means I can run the apps I want to run.

I'll agree that rooting and installing a custom ROM were fun. It became less fun when removable batteries were eliminated from phones. As far as learning the internal mechanism of the device a little better, someone had better know those mechanisms, inside and out, BEFORE rooting. Of course, if you'd rather take that chance and give up financial apps to rid the phone of bloatware, you're free to do whatever you want with your device. Have fun!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes that's true if you root your device, your banking apps will probably panic and refuse to work :ROFLMAO:
You can still make money transfers with a rooted device though. Just login to your bank's homepage and do your transactions there. Sure, it's not as convenient as doing all your transfers in a banking app. It requires a little bit more effort but it works.

Just imagine all the endless possibilities with a rooted device that's fully read/write-able. With root + FULL-RW AKA FULL-ROOT you could unlock the full horsepower of your brand new next-gen Android device. The possibilities are endless... Only your imagination is the limit ;)

North American devices aren't user-unlockable.
Wait what? No official bootloader unlock method given by the manufacturer in your region? How sad :( Why not?
I'm afraid you will have to search for the latest temp root PoC on github then :LOL:. Good luck with that! (y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
HALLELUJAH! GREAT NEWS! Yet another miracle has happened my friends!
steve-harvey-thank-you-jesus.gif

SYSTEM RW has finally been achieved on SAMSUNG GALAXY S23 ULTRA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Brought to you by none other than the King of RW himself : lebigmac

That fake wannabe Ketan can go look for a new job! Oh BTW give me back my original System-RW program name that you stole from me thank you! Run Ketan run and never look back! Farewell!

king-xavier-woods-crown.gif
black-panther-killmonger.gif
king-booker-kiss.gif

The prophecy has finally been fulfilled for the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra users :D(y)
It could also work on regular Galaxy S23 and other models...

Enjoy debloating and further customizing your read/write-able next-generation Android device!

If you like this project then please feel free to donate to support my hard work. Thank you very much!

Forever yours,
lebigmac

Samsung_galaxy_s23_system-rw_teaser_lebigmac_WWW.SYSTEMRW.COM.jpg

Samsung_galaxy_s23_system-rw_teaser2_lebigmac_WWW.SYSTEMRW.COM.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
new version of my tool available my friends!
Now Magiskless Systemfull ADB ROOT (also known as DOUBLE ROOT ) should actually work on most phones!
Enjoy!

If you ask me every Android power user should have the full rights to unlock ADB ROOT on their device if they choose to do so. It should be included in the so called 'Developer Options' by default seriously. Just my 2 cents ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
North American devices aren't user-unlockable. And I'm sure that most of the users of this forum are in North America
Yes you can, just finish paying you device to the company, like tmobile or whoever, then call them and tell them you want your phone unlocked to any company, they'll do it right away

Yes you can, just pay off your device, then call the company, t mobile for example, and tell them you want you device unlocked for any company, and they do it right away from your IMEI

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Full funtionality, like Linux. What loss?
full functionality? what does this mean? linux has proven to be not very successful in phone factor. there have been a few devices that uses linux as the main os, but they never sold well. i even think that xda had a working linux phone. i do not remember if it was mass produced though.

one of the losses is banking apps do not work on rooted phones.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
full functionality? what does this mean? linux has proven to be not very successful in phone factor. there have been a few devices that uses linux as the main os, but they never sold well. i even think that xda had a working linux phone. i do not remember if it was mass produced though.

one of the losses is banking apps do not work on rooted phones.
As far as Linux, I meant the "open-sourced" nature of it. The ability to make it your own operating system. Banking apps do work on rooted devices/phones. You have to know how to manage a rooted phone.

Upvote 0
As far as Linux, I meant the "open-sourced" nature of it. The ability to make it your own operating system. Banking apps do work on rooted devices/phones. You have to know how to manage a rooted phone.
ok i stand corrected, banking apps do work on rooted phones:

yes i get the open source nature of rooting. but i still see no reason to do this. i see no reason to change the os of the phone. my z fold 4 runs great. the only thing i do not like is OneUI. but, i can change that by using a custom launcher. my go to is the Nova Launcher.

i guess it will depend on the phone, and what the owner wants to do with it. older, slower phones, i get why rooting would be considered. but a flagship phone like the s23 ultra, i really do not see the need. you can easily delete most samsung bloatware and the phone is plenty fast with a good solid battery.

.....but different strokes for different folks

Upvote 0
Some people seem to want to root for no other reason than to root... that makes no sense to me. The user assumes all the risks involved, including turning their VERY expensive device into a paperweight (aka "brick"). Unless there's a really good, compelling reason to gain root access on my device, Android is mature enough to provide no such reasons. I purchase my phones factory unlocked and can use any network I want. If an app isn't available in Play Store, I sideload the apk. Everything I need/want my phone to do, it does.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones