• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Audio in Video Extremely Quiet?

CyberPitz

Android Enthusiast
May 17, 2010
Joplin, MO
When recording video, I find it very difficult to hear anything unless I'm right next to the microphone. Under normal recording conditions I can barely hear anything. The symptom is also on the computer when I transfer the video, so it's a recording problem, not playback. Does anybody have any suggestions?

I also noticed my volume rocker is EXTREMELY difficult to use. I wonder if I just got a bunk phone. May just stop by Verizon on the way home to see if I can make sure nothing is wrong....

I was just testing this at the store because I wanted to see if the video audio recording quality is better than my incredible (which is very bad BTW) and I noticed the same thing. I could barely hear the recorded audio in my headphones with the volume maxed out. Hopefully there will be a software fix for this.

Upvote 0
Wait guys, just figured out something.

1. When you start the video click the icon on the bottom left so it shows "srs"
Sound will get a little higher.

2. Also if watch the video on the pc, you can hear everything just fine.

3. Weird.
Will have to test the "srs" (wtf is that? lol)

I watched mine on the PC, while louder, it's just because I could crank my volume to 100%. It was still pretty quiet.

As for which mic the audio record uses, it's the one on the bottom of the phone. If I get real close to it, everything is loud as day.

Upvote 0
Wait guys, just figured out something.

1. When you start the video click the icon on the bottom left so it shows "srs"
Sound will get a little higher.

2. Also if watch the video on the pc, you can hear everything just fine.

3. Weird.

Confirmed that this SRS setting fixes the audio. But I exported a video to my computer via DropBox and had audio real low. Going to re-export the same video right now with SRS enabled....

Upvote 0
When recording video, I find it very difficult to hear anything unless I'm right next to the microphone. Under normal recording conditions I can barely hear anything. The symptom is also on the computer when I transfer the video, so it's a recording problem, not playback. Does anybody have any suggestions?

I also noticed my volume rocker is EXTREMELY difficult to use. I wonder if I just got a bunk phone. May just stop by Verizon on the way home to see if I can make sure nothing is wrong....

Wow...I was ready to return this online until I saw this thread...so is everyone's phone like mine with both the volume rocker so hard to mash and get to work...and also not being able to barely hear audio on the videos we record? How can we get this video sound playback issue to HTC so they can start working on a software fix?

Upvote 0
Wow...I was ready to return this online until I saw this thread...so is everyone's phone like mine with both the volume rocker so hard to mash and get to work...and also not being able to barely hear audio on the videos we record? How can we get this video sound playback issue to HTC so they can start working on a software fix?
My volume rocker for down was non-existent. VERY hard to lower volume. Went to the store and got a new phone. That is all better.

The audio being low on record seems to be everybody's phone. While hitting that "SRS" button does make it a bit louder, it's still damn near mute. I will record a quick video and post the result. Insanely quiet.

*EDIT* Trying to upload the video to Youtube, it keeps stopping every couple percent "Waiting 1 minute to retry". If I keep hitting Retry and it goes a couple more percent then stops again. Weird.

Upvote 0
Confirmed that this SRS setting fixes the audio. But I exported a video to my computer via DropBox and had audio real low. Going to re-export the same video right now with SRS enabled....

SRS setting fixed the audio on the videos I recorded while watching them on the phone. However, re-exporting the video's to my computer isn't any better, and DLNA streaming has low audio out too...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones