• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Audio quality during calls

callback79

Lurker
Feb 23, 2011
Hi all,

Not sure if it normal for cell phones (this is my first cell phone) but sometime the background noise on the other end of the call just seems to get muted when the other person doesn't talk. It seems that the audio is muted when the level of the sound is lower than xx db.

It is annoying sometime. Let me explain, when I talk to someone watching TV or in a crowd, I can talk and "lose" the communication (in fact, the audio is just muted and I don't hear TV/crowd anymore) and it came back if a louder background noise is hear. It feels like a choppy call.

Can we disable a filter/noise supressor to remove this issue ?

Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks.

Hi

Primarily, this looks like an issue of bad signal strength. If you are operating the phone only from a particular area, try exploring some other area for better signal strength. (Sometimes, signal bars on your phone are not the only indications of signal strength)
There are some apps in the market for identifying good signal area and avoiding "dead zones"

You can also try with some other phone or ask others if they face similar issue.

As far as I know, noise filter is an service provider feature and not phone dependent and certainly not be disables from phone.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your answer.

I'll take a look to identify the signal strength but I doubt it is the problem, I live in a residential zone, no big building around here. Anyway, I'll try what you proposed.

I have talked to the same person today but there was no background noise, so nothing to mute when the other person was not speaking.

If other people has something else to share, please let me know.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I just read somewhere a review of the P500 explaining exactly my problem. For those who can't read my attempt to write in english, here's the situation:

Call quality was a little under par for what is, let's face it, still a telephone first. The earpiece is quite noisy, with appreciable static even when not on a call. It seems the company has attempted to combat this by employing noise reduction however this does more harm than good. If the voice on the other end is low enough, the noise reduction will cause the sound to strobe as if someone is turning the volume knob up and down quickly.

source: LG Optimus One P500 - Yahoo!7 CNET Technology

Hope a fix will be available soon, I just update the firmware to V10S and the hiss is still noticeable. The strange thing, if I go in the parameters, and slide the "media" volume DURING a call (It starts my ringtone at the selected volume), as soon as I close the mp3/ringtone, well no more hissing sound.

If someone know how to remove the hissing sound without all that procedure, please let me know.

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones