1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Audio Streaming

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by AndyGee, Feb 15, 2011.

1. AndyGee

AndyGee Lurker

Looking for any clues as to why radio/podcasts that are rock solid on my pc won't stream smoothly when I'm on my verizon Galaxy.
    I bought the phone largely so that I could stream audio in my workshop, since Verizon comes in well but my favorite FM radio stations don't...
    Sometimes I think I'm the only person who uses an Android to listen to streaming audio- there are tons of threads on video, photos, and so on-
    Has anyone found a reliable streaming app?
    I use Radiotime, NPR's app, and something called npr news, and they all go for a while then start acting up- stalling, losing signal, and so on. I average 2 bars in the shop.
    Thanks for any ideas!
    I should add that this is talk streaming- enough about music streaming already! :)
    Andy

Advertisement

2. Do a speed test while there. Download Speed Test from the market, then post the results here. Also, what are you trying to stream? are you using an app like RadioTime? Or just going to a website?

3. AndyGee

AndyGee Lurker

What would a speed test tell me, in terms of getting the thing to do what I want it to do?

PS. Thank you for answering, and I don't want to be rude, but please read my post before commenting....

4. Well it would tell you the speed of your internet, which is directly related to the quality of streaming music.

5. Teknologic

Teknologic Android Expert

Hah dude, just take his advice, he's trying to help ;)
    Connection speed has a lot of influence on your audio stream.

As for apps, I use XiiaLive to stream my internet radio. Works like a charm :)

6. AndyGee

AndyGee Lurker

Thanks, Tek, I'll try it.
    I'll do a speed test, but Verizon gives me what it gives me, right? Or are there ways to improve connection speed?
    Since I"m not on wifi out there, am assuming that I'm stuck with what I have...

7. AndyGee

AndyGee Lurker

180, 400, 475 with 1-2 bars just now.
    What do I do next?

8. That should be enough to stream fairly well. Is there wifi available to try and see if it works better?

9. AndyGee

AndyGee Lurker

It works quite well on wifi, and I actually tend to get much better speeds out in the shop in the daytime, thanks for the info.
    However, the apps all tend to stall- NPR's looks good but is fairly useless, the Xii thing mentioned above couldn't find any of my NPR stations, so as pretty as it is, it's useless too.
    Do I have to give up being well informed and just listen to Pandora, the same sixteen songs over and over?