• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Audio through Car Speakers & Charging at the Same Time

traderfjp

Lurker
Aug 30, 2009
Hi,

I want to be able to plug my phone into the car charger and still be able to play tunes through the 3.5mm audio jack. The problem is that the charger plugs in where the attachment for the audio jack plugs in. Does anyone know of a splitter that is made. I found splitters for normal sized USB but not for mini's? Any help appreciated.

Jabra SP700 Bluetooth Speakerphone - 100-47000000-02 - Buy.com

DealExtreme: $4.81 Dual USB Power Ports Car Cigarette Power Adapter (1000mA)

Car Mount Holder Cradle Kit for HTC Magic MyTouch 3G - eBay (item 390077968626 end time Sep-03-09 06:40:11 PDT)

This is my setup right now. Works great. Also I can use TuneWiki (shoutcast) / Pandora and play it on my stereo via FM transmitter thats built into my bluetooth. Only down side, 1 plug, 2 wires :-\ But keeps everything charged so..

---But I noticed you want to use just the 3.5. The mini-usb works on the mytouch. Not sure how it'll work splitting it, but the normal mini usb cable does work with this phone.

Upvote 0
I also found this little gizmo, which I've just bought on ebay...it's an fm transmitter which plugs into the USB module of your phone. It plays your music as any fm transmitter would, but also has a small mic at the bottom...

Whenever a call comes in, it stops your music and allows you to go hands free, with the sound of the call coming through the speakers:

FM Transmitter for HTC Hero Magic T-Mobile MyTouch 3G on eBay (end time 27-Sep-09 22:11:18 BST)

I've yet to receive it, but will let you know how good it is when I get it.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I want to be able to plug my phone into the car charger and still be able to play tunes through the 3.5mm audio jack. The problem is that the charger plugs in where the attachment for the audio jack plugs in. Does anyone know of a splitter that is made. I found splitters for normal sized USB but not for mini's? Any help appreciated.

Hi. Try this. They have them on Amazon for a good price. I have it and it works well. I use a Bluetooth headset for the phone and sometimes the phone tries to pair with the headset and the LiquidAux but otherwise it is an excellent product.

LiquidAUX™ Bluetooth® Car Kit - K33428US - Kensington

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones