• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Auto switch - Data > Wifi

old_codger

Jun 3, 2011
WV
I've done a search here but have found little - possibly because I don't know the lingo. Samsung Rugby I want my phone to switch between data and wifi connection automatically. An ATT rep told me this was 'native' to smartphones - no additional app was needed. That isn't correct - at least for my phone. At times, I've found wifi AND data off for up to 40 minutes (when I give up and start one manually). At times, it never switches to wifi when I'm in range and getting a strong signal. I've tried 3 different wifi/data switching apps. The results were the same as above - wifi AND data off for up to 40 minutes (when I give up and start one manually). At times, it never switches to wifi when I'm in range and getting a strong signal - even with a stored wifi spot. Is this feature supposed to be native to my phone? If so, how do I get it to work. If not native, how do I get it to work?

If you leave both "Mobile Data" and "WiFi" turned on, then most reasonably modern smartphones automatically, and almost instantaneously switch from 3G/4G to WiFi, if WiFi is available, and back to 3G/4G if WiFi isn't available.

I can't say whether or not the Samsung Rugby automatically switches or if it does so quickly. The original Samsung Rugby seems like a very basic, outdated phone. Then newer versions look like modern smartphones. Check your instruction manual or ask in a Samsung Rugby specific forum. You may also want to look into updating your phone's OS.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
IF data and wifi are both ON then, AFAIK, it will default to wifi if it can connect. If no wifi connection it will use mobile data. But it must be able to actually connect to the wifi signal, not just detect it. If you're out and about it's better for the battery to have wifi off so it doesn't keep wanting to connect.

If your phone isn't behaving like that then maybe a factory reset is in order? (Remembering to back up all your data first of course ..... :) )

Dave

Upvote 0
Reactions: 03bluecoupe
Upvote 0
Think I'll stick with Trigger. It switches WiFi off and Data on when your WiFi connection breaks and then Data off and WiFi on when you're back in range of your network. I just need to figure out why when I get home it's a bit slow in sensing my network. But I like that it toggles both.
That's exactly what WiFi Location Toggle does. Works perfectly - and quickly.

Reactions: 03bluecoupe
Upvote 0
I tried WiFi Loc Toggle today and it didn't switch when I left home. I looked at all settings but then noticed on it's map that while I had defined and saved my "Home" location, the app showed a circle for that location with about a 6 or 7 mile radius around my house. I want it to switch when my home wifi signal is lost, which seems to be what Trigger does so I switched back to that. It works well enough so I guess I'll hang with that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones