• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy GT i5510M

justamel

Nov 16, 2021
Canada
This phone has been sitting idle because the "data function" stopped working. Use as a phone for voice or text was fine. I needed data access so got another phone; was sort of duped into a "Plan with phone" purchase of a Mortorola G 2021. It has functioned OK but have never really liked it. My point is: soon I will be at the end of my "plan and purchase" contract and I would like to resurrect the Samsung phone to USE for voice and text. In conjunction with doing this I wondered IF there is any way to get data function back??? Also, just a few days ago I connected to Wifi and found that the Browser app could not connect to ANY webpage, with an error message of: "can not make a secure connection"!! When it first refused to make a data connection it would make connection using wifi to a few sites but did give this same error for most sites. Now I can't find any. The Browser is certainly what came with the phone. It is just labelled: Browser version 2.2.2 (this is also the Android version on the phone) As in the post title the phone is: Samsung Galaxy GT-i5510M running Android 2.2.2

My question (s): if I can find a newer Android version for this phone would this: a. have a chance of re-activating the data function? b. at least allow access to internet via WiFi connection? Secondarily, I read awhile ago that these older phones may be renderred useless because the "frequencies/channels" they use are to be re-allocated. Is this true? This phone is a small easily carried unit with a very cool slide out keyboard and "could be" considered a collector's item.

Thankyou for any help/info. provided.

You don't say where in the world you are, so I'm going to guess American ;) The reason that matters is that the USA has been turning off 2G and 3G networks, and that's all that that phone supports, so that's my guess as to why the "data function" has stopped working (I'm actually surprised that voice still works). Or in other words, yes, what you read is true. And if that is the cause there is nothing you can do about it: the phone's hardware doesn't support 4G or 5G, and no software fiddling can change that.

You might be able to get the web connection going with a more recent browser: that one dates back to before secure connections were the norm, and it or its certificates probably isn't acceptable to many sites these days. You won't be able to install via the Play Store because I'm sure that won't work on Android 2.2 (and the old Android Market that came with certainly won't work at all), but you could try using a computer and looking for browsers that are compatible with 2.2 in apkmirror.com or apkpure.com (those 2 sites are safe to download apps from): download to a computer, use an adapter to copy the apk file to your sd card (maybe you could do it via a USB cable), then enable installation from "unknown sources" and open the apk file on your phone using a file browser and it should install. I can't guarantee you'll find a browser that works and is still compatible with that Android version, but it's worth looking.

As for whether a newer android version is even possible, probably not. I had a look on Sammobile.com and the only thing I could see for the i550M is an unspecified Canadian carrier release from 2011, so unlikely to be newer than what you have already. Other i550 variants never got newer than 2.3, which won't make any real difference. As for as unofficial software goes, there's very little information about rooting this device (I tried searching for "gt i5510m xda" to see whether the xda-developers forum had anything), and links to tools and software from 11-12 years ago are unlikely to still work anyway. So I don't think you've very much chance of success, and as far as I can see there was never much ROM development for this device anyway, so the odds of finding a substantially newer version are slim (I found one post that mentioned a buggy CyanogenMod 9 version for it, which would give 4.0 if it worked, was still available and you could find it and figure out how to install it - and yes, that's a lot of "if"s! But if you do decide to investigate this, remember that any custom software (ROMs or recoveries) must be built for the particular model of device (which may even mean the particular variant, i.e. it could be that it has to be for an i5510M rather than an i5510 - that type of thing was more common then than now). As I say, there was never much development for this phone, and it's so long ago I'll be very surprised if the software is still available, so I don't think the odds of success with custom software are very good

Upvote 0
Thankyou for the detailed reply!! Certainly a lot of IF's but as you say some things I could try. I am in Canada. I am "older" but not a "Luddite"; that said I really hate that our system updates, updates, and discards useful and very adequate technology, and for what??? Of course we all know the answer: Money, Money, Make more Money!

Again, thanks for the info.

Upvote 0
Well in the case of the network changes it's mainly capacity: phone usage, and especially data usage has grown a lot in recent years (who went around streaming music or videos in 2010?), while radio spectrum is a finite resource. That's the reason why older, slower, less spectrum-efficient technologies are being closed down, so that the frequencies can be used for faster, higher-capacity technologies.

So yes, I will often suggest that changes are made purely to drive consumption (that's why there seems to be a new TV resolution standard every few years, or gimmicks like 3D,just to convince people to replace their sets). But in this case there is a clear reason for doing it.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Honestly, I still keep all my music on my phone. All MP3s, over 3K of 'em. I don't always have reliable service everywhere I use my phone to play music, and hate subscription models so streaming is out. I'm also immune to forced app updates to streaming apps, since offline music players don't depend on them.

We had plenty of spectrum for 5G, LTE, and 3G until AT&T and others cried foul at it. They were happily coexisting fine until February of 2022 (and Verizon until January 2023) and I'm still miffed about it. I had great device that defined me and they literally cut me off despite paying my bill on time for years. That's technically illegal, and no different than if they cut my electricty off because I lived in a home with knob and tube wiring.

A phone carrier is a utility. I shouldn't be expected to keep buying devices that I don't feel are actual upgrades to satisfy their shareholders. A utility is supposed to service ME, not me service them.

Like it or not, we aren't doing anything different today than we were in 2010. We still use our
phones to play music, chat/message, and do social media.

OP, I'm surprised you have voice as well. When it started to happen here, first I could use data and text but not call (which wasn't bad since I never use my phone to call, mainly to text my girlfriend who's a few states away and have a rotary home phone for calls) and then texting finally died earlier this year, then data (and all the signal) ultimately died. This was my HTC Thunderbolt. Even its LTE bands got cut off since it won't show any bars at all, even with a valid SIM.

Personally the consipiracy theorist in me thinks that since these are mega-corporations we're dealing with here, they want to maximize $$$ any way they can, and if folks aren't buying as many phones now than they did years ago because well, phones today are boring and aren't really upgrades (including many being nothing but feature removals that many covet, such as headphone jacks and removable batteries) the only way they could get those few people on board is to force them to upgrade against their will, gambling on them being gullible enough to fall for this whole 'we need 5G and spectrum is limited' nonsense. It was nothing but a ploy to force obsolescence of otherwise perfectly good tech, and create far more e-waste. Only we as customers had no say, just like none of us had any say when the FCC mandated the end of analog TV, which still sucks as digital reception is still inferior to analog, and if you rely on your TVs to be your source for severe weather, well, your digital signal won't hold up. But we have AM radio, right? Well, they want to kill that one next.

I want corporations to die. I want to live in the 1950s. I want Americana back. At least back then companies would let people 'upgrade' at their own pace, and let the market actually drive the demand, not having the demand manipulated, choices manipulated by corporations who care nothing about what the customer wants like with today.

Part of this is our fault. Had we all revolted at the news of them shutting the older networks down, they might have listened. But we allowed them to walk all over us, and since they know they can now get away with it, they'll not doubt try again in a few years. The only question we should be asking ourselves is 'when is enough enough? when is it too much? and will it be too late by then to stop it?"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh of course. I got two laptops running Android 2.x via Android X86, for document viewing, wiring diagrams and so on. One is running 24/7 as a 'muzak' box and usually just displays the lockscreen clock, acting as a desk clock. Neither connect to the internet (not needed at work anyway and the drivers don't exist for their wifi chips)

As for my phone, I've settled on the only thing I consider an upgrade (Z Flip 4) but I got the UI heavily themed to resemble HTC Sense 3 mixed with Android 2.3. I still use many apps from the Android 2.3 era, including Dolphin Browser Mini, Aldiko Book Reader, and AOSP Music.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I still keep all my music on my phone. All MP3s, over 3K of 'em. I don't always have reliable service everywhere I use my phone to play music, and hate subscription models so streaming is out. I'm also immune to forced app updates to streaming apps, since offline music players don't depend on them.
I've never had a music app change into a streaming app, though that might be because I don't use Google's music stuff (Google have always been a "keep it in the cloud" company, so I'd expect nothing else from them).

And sure, I store music on device as well. Lots of places where streaming doesn't work, and it doesn't cost me money to listen.
We had plenty of spectrum for 5G, LTE, and 3G until AT&T and others cried foul at it. They were happily coexisting fine until February of 2022 (and Verizon until January 2023) and I'm still miffed about it. I had great device that defined me and they literally cut me off despite paying my bill on time for years. That's technically illegal, and no different than if they cut my electricty off because I lived in a home with knob and tube wiring.
You mean they didn't wait until things started to fall over before upgrading? I am not a fan of corporations, but I understand the concept of "planning ahead".
Like it or not, we aren't doing anything different today than we were in 2010. We still use our
phones to play music, chat/message, and do social media.
And people do other things as well. While you don't do streaming, or join videoconferences using mobile data, etc, many others do. More people use the mobile web than in 2010, and it uses more data per page than it did (most of that is crap that's not needed for the end user but makes money for the site or the advertisers, but unless you think the service providers can stop that they still need to provide capacity). Messaging has switched from 160 characters via a service channel in the network to data usage with images, voice and video clips. And voice is no longer distinct from data, voice calls use the data channel as well. Heck, in 2010 smartphones were still far from universal, so there are also simply more of them out there.

Like it or not, bandwidth requirements have increased in the last decade, even if your usage hasn't changed much.
Personally the consipiracy theorist in me thinks that since these are mega-corporations we're dealing with here, they want to maximize $$$ any way they can, and if folks aren't buying as many phones now than they did years ago because well, phones today are boring and aren't really upgrades (including many being nothing but feature removals that many covet, such as headphone jacks and removable batteries) the only way they could get those few people on board is to force them to upgrade against their will, gambling on them being gullible enough to fall for this whole 'we need 5G and spectrum is limited' nonsense.
Thank you for calling me gullible, but I am quite certain the actual facts are on my side there.

And actually you do have a chance to get removable batteries back, though only due to a recent EU rule which will mandate this from 2027 (delay being to give manufacturers time to adapt designs - seems over-generous to me, but they aren't immune to commercial lobbying). Of course that's only in the EU, but it's unlikely that the manufacturers will want to go to the expense of creating separate EU-only phones with removable batteries, or pull out of the EU market (larger than the US market), so I'd expect them to at least be available in other markets even if they continue selling some sealed devices in those. And that means that people in other markets will finally have a chance to show a preference for user-replaceable batteries, which is something that nobody has at the moment.

However I don't know that that necessarily means a return to phones where you press a catch, pull the back off and swap the battery. If the motivation is extending device life and increasing recycling of batteries then any design where the user could replace the battery without special tools or removing glue would be sufficient ("right to repair" seems to mean in practice "the manufacturer must be willing to sell you a proprietary kit which those who are brave enough can use", so this would still be a considerable improvement). So in practice it might mean that the battery is still a soft pack of the sort that are used internally and that a small screwdriver is needed to replace it, rather than a (lower capacity) rigid package that you pressed a catch, pulled the back off and swapped when your battery was running low. We will have to see what the manufacturers do. But phones will still have ingress protection, because we had that with removable backs before sealed units became the thing, just as headphone jacks coexisted fine with ingress protection (and still do in the Sony Xperia 1, 5 and 10 ranges and the Asus Zenphones) even if a number of review sites happily repeated the story that IP ratings were a reason both of these were removed.

Unfortunately I don't think there's any chance of phones with keyboards like the topic of this thread coming back: I don't think anyone has been making that design since about 2012 (HTC and Motorola also tried this, but it didn't catch on).

Upvote 0
You know what would truly be the green option? Not just removable batteries, but how about letting all those people who liked their 3G and 2G phones to keep using them? I find it a joke they cite 'helping the environment' while they basically render so many perfectly good phones that worked fine for their users into nothing but paperweights.

They didn't actually wait to upgrade to 5G before shutting 3G down. We had 5G (well it was just starting) as well as LTE+ (what Verizon seems to think is 5G, and AT&T with their fake 5G), LTE, HSPA+ (3G), Edge (T-Mobile) and 1x (Verizon) no problem at all. I think it's preferable to have the older tech to fall back on since even LTE today isn't covering nearly as far (especially in rural areas) as 3G/1X/Edge did.

As for bringing removable batteries back, well, we are to blame once again. Had we not bought the phones without removable batteries when they became common (and were told it was better than plastic) the companies would have reversed course. Didn't Samsung bring the SD Card slot back (for a while anyway as it's gone again) after the backlash they got over the Galaxy S6 omitting it? We have only ourselves to blame here.

Samsung could have avoided the huge issue of the Galaxy Note 7's exploding if the battery was user removable.

Upvote 0
Samsung did bring the SD slot back temporarily, but not the removable batteries. Obviously their market research told them that the outcry over the SD card was larger, or else they decided that the merits to them of sealing the back were more important. But they never repeated the mistake of the S6 Edge (curved at the front, flat at the back, very narrow sides: made for a phone that could be acceptably comfortable if held with the screen towards your palm but cut into your hand if you tried to actually hold it in a usable way! I did wonder whether they actually tested designs before they start manufacturing, or whether there was a corporate culture that just didn't allow anyone to say "this looks good but just doesn't work as a phone".

One good thing about my s21 is that it has a plastic back. Of course Samsung reverted to glass after that, because of all the silly reviewers wailing "wah, it's not a premium material", but the important difference is not a subjective/marketing judgement about what is "premium" but that glass is a stupid material for the back of a phone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Doesn't stop all the people on many forums and on Reddit from hating Samsung for using 'cheap plastic' even up until the Galaxy S5 (but they were fine with the Nexus 7 using it?!).

It seems when tech reviewers the likes of Android Police, Android Central, Engadget, The Verge make a claim everyone just eats it up like they're the authority on what is good or not. Feeds the beast we deal with here.

To me, premium is a phone that can survive a drop, and can be made to last with replaceable parts like the battery or rear cover. Not one that shatters. But I'm not into fashion, only function, so what do I know? When I pay a sum of $1000 on a phone I expect it to be built like a tank, not fine China. Same if I were to spend $100,000 on a fancy car--I'd expect it to at least be well-made, not made like a Saturn.

Upvote 0
It seems when tech reviewers the likes of Android Police, Android Central, Engadget, The Verge make a claim everyone just eats it up like they're the authority on what is good or not. Feeds the beast we deal with here.
That makes me feel bad for the reviewers! If I were them: I wouldn't want folks taking what I say as gospel. I'd want folks to read what I say, and then use their brains.

Upvote 0
Well they started it with their crazy hate for plastic and other features nobody cared about, so they deserve all the bad press they get. They're the reason everyone assumes glass backs and THIN THIN THIN are the tops. The reviewers are just giving everyone the business.

Sadly many don't even use their brains anymore. I can no longer keep up with the instances where one's default way to answer a simple question is to pull out their phone and Google it. Or ask Siri/Google. There are honestly people who can't find their way to the grocery store without getting directions from Google Maps.

Upvote 0
Doesn't stop all the people on many forums and on Reddit from hating Samsung for using 'cheap plastic' even up until the Galaxy S5 (but they were fine with the Nexus 7 using it?!)
The Nexus 7 was relatively solid though, while the s4 (which I spent more time with than the s5) did have a very thin and creaky back. Bear in mind that back then no android manufacturer was using glass (though HTC were producing some very solid aluminium phones, and the iPhone 4 has a quite thick glass back with a substantial frame) so certainly I didn't read comments at that time as "whelp, this is plastic!" but rather as "this is flimsier, creakier plastic than others use in this price bracket".

For the s21 though the complaint was clearly "they have switched to plastic while we expect glass at this price point", which, as I say, I find a stupid objection because glass is a poor choice for a portable device in the first place. And all of the marketing blather about "Gorilla Glass this, that or the other" doesn't change that, because they all still shatter if they land wrong, and the manufacturers use any improvement in strength to use a thinner glass back (hence lighter and cheaper) rather than improve the strength of the phone.

Upvote 0
I remember back then. The accounts of 'it's cheap plastic and not PREMIUM glass and metal' were common reviewer rhetoric as well as anyone who took their word. It was about as common as the Android tech geeks clamouring for 'VANILLA ANDROID'.

So today, we still got the default opinion of glass and metal being hallmarks of quality even though the opposite ends up proving itself time and again.

The Galaxy S5 and Nexus 7 both had dimpled sort of rubbery backs. But while the same folks loved the Nexus 7's back, they hated the S5's claiming it looked like a 'band-aid' among other opinions, even though it looked exactly the same as the back of the Nexus 7. I kept bringing it up and only got downvotes.

Upvote 0
Well I have to say that I'd prefer "vanilla android" really: the Samsung "extras" don't add anything for me, so a less bloated system would be a plus. I have an s21 because the hardware was decent for the price when I bought it, no other reason really.

Of course that also means I'd prefer AOSP to a Pixel's "Google" ROM. But having used both in recent years the Pixel is less bloated, though still has room for improvement.

Upvote 0
Is AOSP still even a thing? I remember many apps stalled in development and forever stuck in time (AOSP Music to name one--not that I'm complaining!) whenever Google "Google-ified" them. AOSP Music = Google Play Music YouTube Music, Gallery = Google Photos, etc. I think the Google apps are downgrades IMO.

I think what remains of AOSP got incorporated into the many skins, such as many of the Samsung apps being rebranded and forks of AOSP apps, like Samsung Internet shares a lot in common with the last version of the AOSP Browser, as earlier versions mirrored the ICS-UI that the AOSP app got frozen in.

Upvote 0
The S4's plastic was prone to smudging since it was basically hyperglazed plastic. The S5 in my eyes was perfect since the back was easy to grip compared to the S4. Of course tech bloggers took issue with it and the software and cried wolf about it so Samsung took that criticism to heart and made improvements with the Note 4 but still wasn't enough for the tech bloggers who cried about the battery door feeling flimsy so Samsung decided to go metal and glass sandwich for their 2015 flagship phones and it was a smash hit with tech bloggers who loved how it felt in the hand but noted that it was slippery and a fingerprint magnet. Also the tech bloggers praised the slimmed down Touchwiz but failed to note 2 or 3 things that Samsung removed in the software. Samsung removed the ability to turn off fast charging, the ability to put the camera in a pop up window and finally with the Note 5 write on calendar. The ability went missing for 4 generations of Note phones until Samsung brought it back in 2019 with the Note 10 series then backported it to the Note 9 with the Android 10 update.

Upvote 0
Is AOSP still even a thing? I remember many apps stalled in development and forever stuck in time (AOSP Music to name one--not that I'm complaining!) whenever Google "Google-ified" them. AOSP Music = Google Play Music YouTube Music, Gallery = Google Photos, etc. I think the Google apps are downgrades IMO.

I think what remains of AOSP got incorporated into the many skins, such as many of the Samsung apps being rebranded and forks of AOSP apps, like Samsung Internet shares a lot in common with the last version of the AOSP Browser, as earlier versions mirrored the ICS-UI that the AOSP app got frozen in.
yes AOSP is still in. look at Lineage OS. it is basically Cyanogen Mod.

Upvote 0
AOSP is the base of Android, the open source bit. It will exist as long as Android does.

Of course individual apps within it get very little development, but that doesn't matter since you can always find a better app for any function. But just give me the base OS without the crud and clutter that manufacturers add (to varying degrees) and I'll do the rest.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones