• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR)

more on the anpr:
you can find a lot of information on a car on the RDW site, but it is all in dutch. there might be similar sites for the UK (DVLA?) or america (DMV?)

But you can find:
Manufacturer, year, Model, make, color, fuel consumption, color, engine, feul type, body type (saloon, coupe, convertible etc...), insurance type, stolen (yes/no) and MOT (APK).
And a whole lot more.

I want to make an app that makes the phone beep when it recognizes a stolen car.
imagine:

You have got your phone in your carkit on the windscreen, and a stolen motor is driving in front of you.

-You phones camera is pointed on the road in front of you, and the app is running in the background. A stolen car appears in front of you. The phone beeps and flashes a red screen, and dispays:

Car: 'VF-DS-41' MITSUBISHI PAJERO (CLR: SILVER) Registerd as: STOLEN!

-Then via GPS it sends your exact location to the police, so they know where you were when you saw the stolen car and what way it was heading!

This is what i have in mind, and i want to make it available for free on the android market, and available in multiple countries. All help on this project is really appreciated! As i said, im no expert on java stuff, i just have this awesome ideja.
btw: Sorry for bad english, its really late and i dont want to check spelling etc...

Reactions: Lhernand45
Upvote 0
There's a very useful application for it. The industry I work in, it would be handy for me to log cars in to a site and out, along with how many times the vehicle has been seen (two different purposes)

The first purpose could be rolled in to a handheld app to check when a car arrived on site on patrols too.

The second option could be used on personal protection basis - with the application running on the dashboard and telling you if you see the same vehicle more than once, i.e. if a vehicle may be tailing you.

maybe he works for a local council in charge of a rubish tip as our local one logs cars in and out

(joking that you work in the local tip)
maybe in charge of the bins :)

Upvote 0
LOL
It's only new members posting in here :)

I am a policeman in Denmark, and I have been searching for this app for a while now.

The best I have found is CzechDroid, but he never reply my mails :mad:

The use would be a low cost solution to scan plates and alert the user by sound and by picture of the car. As a beginning it should only scan a local database.
In further development, it would have to connect to a database with ssl and download the latest updated list.

But for everyday use in the start, it would be great if it could just scan a local database/list.

You could use the app to scan for: no insurance, stolen cars, and eventually also cars used often by drunk drivers and so on. It would be a great tool.

I have read that the "big" systems that are installed in police cars cost around 20.000$, so it would be great to be able to install it for almost nothing.

I will be following the thread in the future!
Hope someone will help!

Kind regards

Upvote 0
Yes, there is already ANPR for Android smartphones!

You can know more about it on anpr.hu site

I've checked the site out, and downloaded the trial. It works fine.

But it's pretty expensive, when it for now only is for evaluation...

So still, if someone could make the app, it would be great. And if you do, you can sell it for 600$. Then people saves 50$ :)

But thanks for the link!

Kind Regards

Upvote 0
first off, i ve got the java software you guys are talking about.

It recognizes all letters and numbers used in license plates. (in my case:
Dutch, european plates)
Also anyone in the netherlands can request the registration info via the internet:

https://ovi.rdw.nl/

I use the 'simpleLPR UI' software to recognize the plate digits. It works really well! Its free and very easy:

License plate recognition SDK

Ive put some of the anpr result screenshots below!

So all i need to do is make a live camera feed, bond these two features, (copy/paste 'plate number' to the www.ovi.rdw.aspx) and make them android compatible. Then we wil have a working ANPR System!

But i dont really know how to do this. I'm no java expert. Can anyone here create android (java) apps? Please help me out!
Thank you!

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

If no one is going to make a new app, does anyone knows, if there is a step by step guide, to use the above programs to check in a local database? Then I could take a asus eee on patrol instead of my phone.
???

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones