• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Automatically move files to another folder?

planetj

May 24, 2010
I want to automatically move some files to another folder, but don't know how to do it.
I'll explain the idea, and hope someone can help me.
In my gallery app (JustPictures), f.ex, I can specify, that I want to view only 1 specific folder. I can't specify more than 1 folder to look at. But all my other picture apps use different folders (new pictures taken with cam, are store in /dcim/media, if I take pictures with camerafun pro, they're store in /camerafun, if I edit a pic with picsay pro, it's stored in / picsay etc.
If I could just find an app, that can keep an eye on /camerafun and /picsay, and automatically move all files in those folders to /dcim/media, I'd be one happy camper.
Same goes for mp3, if I download an mp3 from some app, they usually store it in their own folder, so I'd love to be able to automatically move them to /media/music.
Can someone help me? :)

I think you could do this with a combination of Tasker and File Magic but it would require some effort to get it setup (I have no idea how, but I think it can be done).

I'm not sure I'm using the right terminology, but another option might be create "mount points" - something where an empty folder is actually a pointer to another place on the drive. I'm thinking of making these other folders point to the one folder you use with your gallery app. I'm not sure if it's even possible on removable media, or if it would require root, or would be possible period. Doing this might have undesirable consequences. Hopefully someone who knows can chime in.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones