• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Back Up and Restore

ilyabyk83

Oct 25, 2010
Hi. I have a LG G3. Cracked my screen, but with power of YouTUBE I found a workaround...

USB OTG cable and any mouse... little cursor lights up on the screen, and you can do anything then...pretty cool trick...

Anyways, now I have a little issue: Is there a backup application where it will backup and restore my phone on to the new one almost identical (all of the widgets on screen, and in the right places) to this old device? Pay versions are welcome as long as they are worth it...

Thanx folks

If you're not rooted, take a look at Helium. Rooted and you'll probably want Titanium. Be advised if you use Titanium, you'll need to root the new phone too.

I'd also make sure contacts, images, docs etc were synced to the cloud. And I'd manually backup my texts.
What I'm after is my phonebook (pictures for contacts), all of customization done to tabs. Just do a complete (if possible) switch from one device to another.. Thanx

Upvote 0
I just know that there has to be an app free or a paid version, where once you have it installed and I'll take a backup (complete or you select what to back up) and I have options to upload to various servers...obviously am able to restore from that same upload to that given server...does anybody understand me? Simple, I bought a new phone, identical to the one I have. How do I make a total copy of my first phone??

Upvote 0
Your first question ...

I use Nova Launcher Prime that has a backup and restore of all settings including the screens.

I use Pixel Phone Pro that has that has backup and restore of phone settings and preferences.

I use Tasker that has backup and restore of all customizations I built.

Your second question ... total backup ...

Root both devices and use Titanium.

... Thom

Upvote 0
I specifically did not suggest that because with a cracked screen the first priority is getting user data to the new device. Trying to root a phone in that condition is asking for trouble.

The ONLY reason for saying it is that EVERYONE who approaches Android wants to know how they can do a complete backup of everything. EVERYONE assumes it should be trivial ... what app do I use. EVERYONE has to learn that it isn't.

... Thom

Reactions: robdam1001
Upvote 0
What will it do for me?? Thanx!!

I don't think it backs up "data" for user apps, just the apps only. Other than that it backs up the important things and does it well. I've used it on all my LG phones and still do.

Here's a screenshot of what it backs up. If you click the down arrow to the right of each catagory it will show you all the options it backs up per catagory...
Screenshot_2015-09-18-18-04-51.png

Upvote 0
I want an app, free or paid, to FULLY take a backup of my old LG G3 and this same app installed on my new LG G3 to be able to take this backup file or whatever, and do a complete restore or a copy of my old LG G3. I can perfectly understand about anythhing that came from Google Playstore

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, without root, I don't think you're going to get that.

If you rooted and had a custome recovery like TWRP or CWM you could take a nandroid backup from your broken phone and restore it on your new phone provided they were EXACTLY (and I do mean EXACTLY) the same model and setup. You best bet is to backup what you can and set your new phone up that way.

Reactions: ilyabyk83
Upvote 0
Unfortunately, without root, I don't think you're going to get that.

If you rooted and had a custome recovery like TWRP or CWM you could take a nandroid backup from your broken phone and restore it on your new phone provided they were EXACTLY (and I do mean EXACTLY) the same model and setup. You best bet is to backup what you can and set your new phone up that way.
Now, I obviously need to have both of the phones rooted, correct??

I cracked the screen on one of them. By plugging an OTG adapter in to phone's micro usb, I was able to also plug a wireless mouse dongle in; after all is connected the cracked screen had a little arrow appear. Using that cursor is the key here. Button click is you making the selection. YouTUBE baby...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones