• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Background video recorder not working after upgrade to galaxy S9

R123456789

Lurker
Jul 21, 2018
So I've been using the background video recorder app for a few months now with my Galaxy S7. I use it to make how to videos at work. The screen being off saves the battery and my job kind of frowns on us showing people how to do what we get paid to do, so I can just slip the phone in my front pocket and they're none the wiser. Problem is since I upgraded to a Galaxy S9 the app has been cutting videos short, making videos glitchy and and at times not recording at all. I've been through all kinds of settings trying to change things, saving videos to phone instead of SD card, giving the app permissions to run when locked Etc. I contacted the app Developers and they told me to turn off API in settings for the app. None of this helped. I tried downloading similar apps and had the same problems. I love the camera on the S9, that's why I upgraded. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any other phones with great cameras and audio capabilities that the app will actually work on? Sorry for the long post thanks in advance.

Don't know if this will make a difference but it's all I can think of. If you haven't already then go to settings, apps, three tabs top right, special access, optimise battery usage, press apps not optimised and go to all apps. Then make sure the app isn't optimised so it works as it should whenever your phone goes into doze mode.

Reactions: R123456789
Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip, I didn't know those settings existed. Anyways I tried it and I also went through and ticked off anything that was camera, Gallery or storage related. But I'm still having the same problem with the videos being cut short. I tried a few and 3-minute videos and they get cut down to 15, 27 and 22 seconds, seems random.

Upvote 0
Sorry for the delay I didn't see you replied. Honestly that was all that I could think of. It could just be Samsung implemented something to stop the spy cameras working as they've been trying to get more government contracts, hence knox. I hope there's an easy fix but it could be the devs have to find a way round it.

Reactions: R123456789
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones