• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bad block on mtd

elya123

Lurker
Jan 1, 2012
Hi all,

I was trying to change the boot image while running. I did it with the following commads (in adb shell):

Code:
cat /dev/zero > /dev/mtd/mtd2
cat newimage.img > /dev/mtd/mtd2

Apparently, it didn't work. But now, when I try to use tools like flash_image, I receive the following error messages:

/sdcard # flash_image boot boot_2.6.35.7_2.3.6_fuse_rooted_bgu.img
flashing boot from boot_2.6.35.7_2.3.6_fuse_rooted_bgu.img
mtd: not writing bad block at 0x00000000 (ret 1 errno 2)
mtd: not writing bad block at 0x00040000 (ret 1 errno 2)
mtd: not writing bad block at 0x00080000 (ret 1 errno 2)

I tried erase using fastboot, and flash image, and I still get:

writing 'boot'... FAILED (remote: Write Fail)

What does it mean? Did my device damaged? :( :(

Hi all,

I was trying to change the boot image while running. I did it with the following commads (in adb shell):

Code:
cat /dev/zero > /dev/mtd/mtd2
cat newimage.img > /dev/mtd/mtd2
Apparently, it didn't work. But now, when I try to use tools like flash_image, I receive the following error messages:

I tried erase using fastboot, and flash image, and I still get:

What does it mean? Did my device damaged? :( :(

Never have use adb so I have no clue. Have you tried posting over at XDA? They may have more of a clue as to what you did. I would try a nandroid restore and if you didn't do a nandroid well then try reflashing the rom.

Upvote 0
What about that command line SD check/fix thing, Arg?

If your talking about the SDCARD check in windows

cmd:
chkdsk x: /f /r

That will work for the FAT on the SD Card

He tried to change a boot image. (Boot area of phone) which being a native linux format or even a yaffs will not work.

If he however is talking about the SDCARD then chkdsk may or may not fix the error he will need testdisk to fix that. I have no clue if testdisk can be pushed to the phone in adb or not and even if it would work there.

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones