• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bad night in the kitchen

Rgarner

Android Expert
May 9, 2017
Last night my friend was cooking something on the stove and forgot. He went out and did some other things. When we came back the smell was unbelievable. I said he should leave it in the pot until morning, but he wanted to hurry. The handle came off the lid and the stench stuck around despite open windows and door and the fan over the stove. I could still notice it when I came back this morning. I think air freshener isn't gonna help this one. What can be done? I hope the pot is salvageable because it was a good one. Can the lid be saved? I wanted to post this in off topic but I couldn't find it.

That sounds like my luck with cooking, to the point that I am useless without a microwave today. last time I tried to follow a recipe, and I followed it to the letter, I ended up with a giant hole where a window should be, a fire-damaged upper cabinet, all smoke alarms going off, and a smell I will never forget. I knew after that experience, that cooking requires more than following directions. It is a skill that people go to chef school to acquire. if it were that simple to just follow a recipe everyone would cook and never go to a McDonald's.

Also note to self, gas stoves are evil.

Reactions: Rgarner
Upvote 0
Sounds like the first mistake was opening the lid INDOORS. Big mistake!

Now that "fragrance" is embedded in everything cloth: curtains, upholstery, clothing, pillows... my advice would be to get a UV room sanitizer. They don't cost much: but you set this thing up in a room, seal it off so nobody walks in there, and let it run. Most have a small remote control: set it for 30 or 60 minutes, whatever the longest time is. DO NOT go in there for several hours! It's not just the UV light working its magic but the tremendous amount of ozone generated. That will help neutralize any odors in the room... but you don't want to breathe that stuff.

In fact, start it at bedtime, shut the door and don't mess with it until morning when you can hold your breath; walk in and open the windows; then walk back out. Do this room after room after room. I'm sure it will help.

Upvote 0
My mother cooked pancakes early one August time, it was around like eight a.m., it was after we attempted for our second or third Garage sale, I tried my hand on helping her out a few times, boom one of our upper ceiling lights is pitch black, our corridor was like pitch black for a spell, I had to swifter up everything and wash the walls too, luckily it was not turning up like all the way black or our power went off though.
That was a few years ago.

Upvote 0
I wonder how long people knew that ozone was dangerous? I remember there was a popular style of air cleaner system that'd fill the room with the stuff, and was made by a name like Alpine or something. They were all the rage in the mid-late 1990s, we even had one. it was some woodgrain box with a fan, ozone generator and three knobs on it, one for fan speed, another for 'room size' that just changed the intensity of the ozone, and on/off. Many folks just turned the second knob to '11' and never thought anything of it.

Upvote 0
We had one! (come to think of it, that might be what's wrong with us now... I wonder if there's a class action lawsuit we can join...)

Ozone at usual concentrations isn't a bad thing: think of that crisp smell after a thunderstorm and you understand what I mean. In a confined space, however, excessive ozone is not good to breathe. It does, however, kill most bacteria and viruses the UV doesn't kill; and neutralizes bad odors. After a body repair shop thoroughly pi$$ed me off by having someone smoking IN my vehicle (the owner denied it but the idiot left his cigarette butts in there), my detailing guy had to rent an ozone machine to kill the smell. Worked so well I bought two UV lights during the 2020 "panic-demic".

Upvote 0
Ours was located in the sunroom at the old house because it sorta covered up the odor of smoke back when mom was a chain smoker. Unfortunately it couldn't take care of all the icky nicotine glaze.

the damn things weren't cheap, they cost $650 each, and was likely the last 'new' product that was 'made in the usa with pride'. i remember that being on it too.

Upvote 0
That sounds like my luck with cooking, to the point that I am useless without a microwave today.
Eating from a microwave is gonna make you glow at night ! ! !

It is a skill that people go to chef school to acquire.
"au contraire mon ami"

I started out cooking in a restaurant while still in high school and now cook every day, wanna see some goodies that have come out of my kitchen ?

Also note to self, gas stoves are evil.

Easy there Biden, nothing cooks better than gas ...

Upvote 0
s$t.jpg

friday.jpg

chile2.JPG

re.jpg

Upvote 0
I literally fail at attempting to use gas stoves. boiling noodles turns to a gelatinous goo, trying to boil water ends up evaporating instantly, there's literally zero temp control (it's all or nothing, even on low) and I burned up the kitchen (see first post I made) and i literally followed the recipe to the letter.

not everyone can cook that way. Also, microwaves don't literally use gamma rays. they're using ionizing radiation, a lot like those 5G towers popping up everywhere. Just being out in the sun is far more dangerous than eating microwaved food.

Also, there is such a thing as chef's school and if everyone could be a chef, there'd never be any fancy restaurants much less would it be such a high paying job.

Upvote 0
The glow in the dark remark was humor.

I make nachos in the microwave and have been eating them for years that way with no residual effects.

Gas stoves are the best, I sold mine when I moved here, this place came with a glass electric red led looking glow cooking top and it sucks !

Talk about not being able to regulate the heat ..... Guess after I get used to it maybe !

Reactions: Rgarner and olbriar
Upvote 0
Actually, microwave ovens use the same non-ionizing radio frequency radiation as the microwave communication dishes seen atop buildings and towers. Because of their very high frequencies, they're limited in distance: so the dishes must transmit at very high power in a focused, line of sight beam toward a receiving dish in the distance. Unfortunate birds flying in front of a transmitting dish have been seen dropping out of the sky, cooked instantly.

Microwave ovens use a magnetron (just like a radar system, hence the original Amana Radarange) to create high-powered radio frequency energy, which is released into the oven (a sealed cavity tuned to the resonant frequency of the magnetron). This energy excites the molecules (primarily water molecules) in the food, causing intense vibrations... which create friction... which causes the food to heat up.

Of course, microwaved food tends to cool off faster - but if you need something hot in a hurry, this'll do the trick. And now you know more about microwave ovens than you probably ever really wanted to.

:)

Reactions: Rgarner and olbriar
Upvote 0
This place came with some appliances, the M/W is another one, although I still have my own, I prefer to heat things up in my air fryer.( I also still have my toaster oven, that I used extensively at the other place, so it is a bit grubby looking, the G/F refused to let me bring it in the house, it is sitting ontop of the M/W in the garage ... lol)

Left over pizza and bread products are ruined after being nuked !

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones