• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Banding on images after scrolling - browser

photostu

Jun 4, 2010
Has anyone noticed that if you are looking at a gallery of images in the browser, when you scroll, there is the obvious checkerboard pattern that shows up, but when you stop scrolling, there seems to be vertical banding in the image from where that checkerboard pattern was.
If you zoom into the image, it goes away, but if you zoom back to normal, the banding is still present.

Not a show stopper, but still kind of annoying. Has anyone else seen this?

yeah i've seen it on my v.003

i assume it's just from the browser downsizing the graphics. i installed skyfire and dolphin but never payed attention to whether they had it or not, but i like the stock browser more than those two. liekd skyfire since it supported flash where the stock browser didn't, but wasn't worth it really.

Upvote 0
Flipped through some photos taken by the phone camera and I don't notice it on mine - might depend on the photo content though...

I notice banding on some photos I've downloaded, but I think that's due to jpeg compression of the photo itself.

He said "in browser" ... not "in gallery"

I've seen it too, doesn't bother me though. As someone said above, probably compressing image to scroll smoother.

Upvote 0
He said "in browser" ... not "in gallery"

I've seen it too, doesn't bother me though. As someone said above, probably compressing image to scroll smoother.

Yeeaaah totally missed that, my bad

In that case, what I've noticed in the stock browser is that I see compression artifacts in images immediately when I touch the screen, before I even attempt to scroll, and it all disappears when I lift my finger. I only notice it if I'm looking for it...then again I don't get any lingering banding.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones