• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Batteries explained

I'm on day 7 and just a few short calls, a couple of e-mails, about 25 texts and an hour of surfing and the phone only lasts about 14 hours.

Not good, especially as I have to tell myself to leave it alone. My previous Nokia N82 would take a whole day of net use as well as calls and texts and if not charged at night, would still get me through most of the next day. That's on a 2 year old battery.

I just need my Desire to get from an early start till about 2 am, sometimes a typical working day for me, without me having to worry about usage.

Lord knows what it would be like if I used it's video and music capabilities. Best keep my iPod Touch then.

Upvote 0
In the interest of consolidation, I thought it might be a good idea to list the best hints and tips aimed at getting the most battery life out of the phone. Specifically, customising settings and installing programs. I will probably need help with making this comprehensive, so if I've missed something, let me know.

Settings:

Signal Recievers:
Probably the single best way to increase battery life is to turn off receivers that you are not currently using. The phone includes home screen widgets that can be used to quickly toggle them on/off. More on which ones and how later. The antennas that can be turned off are as follows:

Aeroplane Mode
This is a setting that will simply turn off all antennas in one stroke. Most importantly, this includes turning off calling/texting ability, so you should only use this setting when you don't want anyone to be able to contact you through the phone in any way.

Menu button>settings>wireless & networks

Bluetooth
This is a setting that will turn off the ability to wirelessly connect to accessories. Things like hands free kits, wireless headphones, dedicated GPS devices, etc.

GPS
This is the receiver that picks up signal from a satellite network. By measuring the time it takes the phone to send and receive a ping signal (like 2 computers saying "hello" to each other) to several satellites at once, it can calculate how far away it is from those satellites. This allows the phone to triangulate it's location. This is obviously useful for things like showing you where you are on a map, or telling you what the current local weather predictions are.

Menu button>settings>location

Mobile Data
This allows the phone to use the mobile network to get access to the internet at broadband speeds. Of course you need to be within range of a mobile tower capable of transmitting this data. aside from using up battery life, this data can be quite expensive, so there is more than one reason to turn it off when you are not using it.

Menu button>settings>wireless & networks>mobile networks

Wi-Fi
This receiver allows the phone to wirelessly connect to local computer networks. On a device such as the Desire, the primary reason to connect to these networks is to gain internet access through a cheaper and perhaps more reliable medium than the mobile data system.

Screen Backlight:
This setting allows you to adjust how bright the screen is. The phone has a built in detector and automatic setting to adjust the brightness according to the environment. Personally, I find that the auto mode does not work well enough and I manually adjust my brightness with a widget app. More later
Menu button>settings>sound & display

Auto Sync

Automatic Syncing of data for various apps on the phone. Things like email, face book, weather, calendars, etc. The frequency of the updates can be adjusted and the less often they update, the more battery power you save. This setting has a widget, more later.

Menu button>settings>accounts & sync
Also, the various syncing apps usually have settings that you access by pressing the menu button from within the app.

Widgets:
(I'm going to assume you still have Sense UI for this section. If you do not have Sense UI, you should be able to translate it to whatever rom you flashed your phone too.)

There are several widgets that you can use to either keep you informed about your phone's status or allow you to quickly change settings. Most of the widgets you need are already included with the Sense UI, but there are some that you can download from the market.

The Widgets that I suggest you add are:
GPS
Bluetooth
Wi-Fi
Mobile Data
Brightness
Level*
Manual Sync**
Battery time lite***

*Market download by Motalen
**Only really useful if you have set your sync settings to manual or infrequent
***Market download by Curvefish

To add widgets to your phone, from the home screen:

+>widget>Power control

This is an all in one widget that includes:
Wi-Fi
Bluetooth
GPS
Manual Sync
Brightness

+>widget>Settings>~
These are individual widgets for:
Airplane mode
Bluetooth
GPS
Mobile Data
Wi-Fi

Market Download Apps & widgets:

Battery Time lite:
by Curvefish
this app has a widget that has a percentage number for battery remaining.
It also adds a percentage to the status bar.
When loaded, the app will tell you how long you can perform various functions, like make calls or use the internet. Unfortunately, those figures are only a guide because the times are preset & can not be adjusted for if your battery performs a little better or worse than the average. (If anyone knows of an app that records battery histories and automatically adjusts the times, I'd love to know about it).

Spare Parts:
By Android Apps
This app allows you to tweak a few things to increase battery life, like turning off some animations which consume more power. It also logs a lot usage history that can be useful.

It's best function is that it can list apps that put the phone into 'partial wake mode' which can drain a lot of battery.

Launch app>battery history>first drop down menu> partial wake useage

If it lists any apps that have very high usage, you might want to consider removing that app. Note that if you, for example, listen to a lot of music, then the usage for the music app will show very high. Not much you can do about this other than stop listening to music.

*note* there is a bug that some people experience where Calendar is listed with a very high partial wake, for a possible solution to this problem, try this thread:
-link-

Brightness Level:
by Motalen
This useful little app allows you to quickly adjust the brightness of the display if you have the auto brightness turned off.

Task Killer Apps:
There is an ongoing debate about whether this sort of program is needed. Android does a very good job at managing running apps to conserve battery life, but there may some advantage to it with certain apps. It should also be pointed out that the task killer app uses battery power to track which apps are running. It might be best to tell the task killer to kill itself & only launch it when you want to stop apps.

Upvote 0
Thanks for you nicely battery review, you has said that HTC Desire built in with Auto Shut Down when our battery in very low level.. my HTC Desire auto shutdown when my battery in very low level. My indicator become red and battery status in 4%

My question is.. does my current battery level when my HTC Desire shutdown is in draining it to zero condition?

Because after this happen, my battery become weak.. in full charge in standard usage I can play around with my HTC around 12 - 15 hours :(

Any solution to fix it?

Best Regards
Jauhari

I'm not sure I understand the question. If your phone has shut itself down because the battery was almost dead, then you should have been ok as long as you didn't keep trying to turn it back on. And you started charging it within a day or 2 of it turning off.

If your battery life has gotten shorter, then try the partial wake usage in the spare parts app. Maybe something is draining it?

Reactions: jauhari
Upvote 0
I'm not sure I understand the question. If your phone has shut itself down because the battery was almost dead, then you should have been ok as long as you didn't keep trying to turn it back on. And you started charging it within a day or 2 of it turning off.

If your battery life has gotten shorter, then try the partial wake usage in the spare parts app. Maybe something is draining it?
How to analyze which spare parts app that draining my battery?

Upvote 0
How to analyze which spare parts app that draining my battery?

The app you use is called Spare Parts

I have almost everything switched on on my Desire (no gps or bluetooth) and widgets for freinds, sky news etc on the home pages.

My battery seems to last no longer than 8-9 hours like this? Does that sound about right?

I've had the phone a while now - well over a month

I've heard that the sky app doesn't let the phone sleep. try removing it for a day & see if it's any better.

Hi guys!! i just got my desire today. Battery at the moment is half bar, am i suppose to charge it for 8 hours? or should i just wait for the battery life to reach 10% then i'll charge. Need some advice..

preferably longer. you can't overcharge it.

Upvote 0
What about the new 3rd-party batteries, are they any good?

That's a good question. I won't go into a lot of detail here, because there is another stickied thread that talks about this a lot.

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/66987-seidio-1600mah-extended-life-battery.html#post608475

Personally, I am thinking about just buying another original battery & keeping it in my car or something. maybe switch them once a month so that it doesn't discharge from lack of use.

The option that most people seem to like best is one of those little battery boxes that you plug in like a charger, but that means carrying around an extra piece of hardware.

The last good option is the extended battery that has a new phone back plate (the one mentioned in the other post), that apparently is a good battery if you don't mind a bigger phone.

As for "are they any good?" I have not made my mind up about that yet. The sample size in the article that thread talks about is woefully inadequate. It's not 15 kinds of batteries that have been tested, it's just 15 batteries. For that test to convince me, it would have to be something like 10 kinds at 20 batteries each.

Having said that, it's made me doubtful enough that I wouldn't bother trying to get a better battery, maybe a cheaper one though.

Having batteries vary in their output is not so surprising really. They rely on a chemical reaction to produce the energy which is represented as electricity in this case (other energies produced can result in heat or light). Chemical reactions are of course inherently unstable, that's why most fireworks makers are missing fingers due to them exploding in their hands. So, the results of these batteries are always going to vary.

Upvote 0
Hey, great thread. :)

A few clarifications though..
- You mentioned that it's better to leave the phone plugged. Does this mean that it would help to plug it any practical time that there's a socket regardless of battery levels? Does this also mean that leaving it plugged long after it is fully charged is actually healthy for the batter?
- Why is deep charging not good for battery life?

Upvote 0
I think there is another thread that discusses different USB charge sources (car chargers and typs of lead). Anyway, I went on a 2 hour drive yesterday using Google Maps navigation and the phone initially charged normally via a dedicated cigar lighter to MicroUSB car charger I have. However, I suspect heat started to have a detrimental effect on the charging process and the charge indicator light started to flash. It was pretty hot in the car (aircon not working at the moment) with lots direct sunlight onto the phone. So the phone was actually discharging during the second half of the journey. does anyone have any advice on this?

Ian

Upvote 0
Hey, great thread. :)

A few clarifications though..
- You mentioned that it's better to leave the phone plugged. Does this mean that it would help to plug it any practical time that there's a socket regardless of battery levels? Does this also mean that leaving it plugged long after it is fully charged is actually healthy for the batter?
- Why is deep charging not good for battery life?

For the first questions, basically, yes.

For the last question, it probably doesn't do any damage. I can make a gues why, but I'm not really sure why completely draining the battery is bad. My guess is that damage Is done to the metal plates when the battery continues to try to do it's reaction thing.

Therefore, I guess, when the battery gets low there is a chance that some damage to the plates will occur.

I think there is another thread that discusses different USB charge sources (car chargers and typs of lead). Anyway, I went on a 2 hour drive yesterday using Google Maps navigation and the phone initially charged normally via a dedicated cigar lighter to MicroUSB car charger I have. However, I suspect heat started to have a detrimental effect on the charging process and the charge indicator light started to flash. It was pretty hot in the car (aircon not working at the moment) with lots direct sunlight onto the phone. So the phone was actually discharging during the second half of the journey. does anyone have any advice on this?

Ian

As I understand it, there are two different ways that the cable can be wired up. One provides more charging voltage than the other. Many people seem to be getting car chargers of the weaker kind. I suspect that your battery was discharging faster than It was charging the whole time, but you never noticed. A charger rated at 1A or 1000mah should solve that problem, if you can trust the rating.

As for the heat Issue, batteries can handle quite a bit of heat, but working the battery so hard while it's in such a hot environment is probwbpy not good for It. If you look at the battery, it has a temp range on It. Think it's 65 degrees celcius. I doubt the battery Is getting that hot, as long as you don't leave it In a parked car In the hot sun.

Heh. The desire's silly auto correct keeps putting capital "l" everywhere.

Upvote 0
Had my Desire 2-3 weeks. Originally lasting less than 20 hours before needing to charge it. Now it lasts approx 36 hours.

I've turned off stuff I don't need(though I would have more on once I can get the battery to last longer), using a photo of my daughter as the background, up to 100 texts a day, around 50 emails a day, wifi 1 hour at home, read ebook 30 mins. Plus the normal flicking between screens and checking the battery/time couple of times an hour.

I'm deep charging it and all in all I'm happy the way its improving.

Upvote 0
Apologies if this resource has already been mentioned or if referring to another forum breaks house rules but info is info..hence...should you want a wealth of info on batteries in general, how they work, charging cycles, tests etc etc you could do little better than checking out candlepowerforums, in particular this thread:

Flashlight Electronics - Batteries Included - Threads of Interest - CandlePowerForums

links to a whole host of information to satisfy any geeky appetite for this stuff.

If you do a search on there for any information pertaining to anything regarding charging cycles and the like you'll find enough info to keep you going for weeks.

I'd summarise some of the salient points relating to the Desire's battery type in a more technical depth and try and clear up some confusion but haven't the time at the moment. Will maybe try later in the week if anyone is interested.

Hope the above is of some use.

Reactions: Nathan Baxter
Upvote 0
What "battery boxes" (external batteries to charge the internal one) would you recommend for the HTC Desire?
Thanks!
Bart

If you look in the Seidio 1600mAh extended life battery topic, there are a few alternatives to using that battery, such as 'battery boxes'

i have done a review on the pebble in there and that seems an excellent device there is also one called the proporta 3400 which lekky has and recommends :)

Upvote 0
I've done some further research on lithium rechargeable batteries & learned a few more things. The first one answers this question:

When we charging our HTC Desire... can we pull off our charger before our battery FULL charged? or we can pull off the charger whatever we want?

What advantages/disadvantages when we pull off before full charger?

No permanent harm will be done to the battery by taking it off the charger early, however, you may find that the battery seems to discharge faster than usual. The reason is that something like the first 80% of a battery charges & discharges quite rapidly, the the closer the battery gets to 100%, the slower the battery will discharge. Going from 100% to 80% probably takes about the same ammount of time as going from 80% to 5%.

Having said that, the battery meter in the phone should be smart enough to compensate for this curve, but I don't know whether it does. Question:

Does the phone's charge capacity meter appear to get faster as the phone discharges?

I haven't noticed, but if it does, then it's just measuring the raw energy. If it does not appear to get faster, then it's compensating for the fact that the battery discharge speeds up as it loses stored energy.

Pick me, pick me!!
Question: Does shaking a close to discharged battery (diposal or specialized) increase slightly the 'juice' you can get out of it? You know, classical TV remote which you shake when obviously the battery is close to dead (it seems to work, but perhaps it's humbug)

Well, considering that batteries have a liquid component, then there is probably a minor effect that results in getting the last of the energy out of a battery, but I doubt it works for rechargeable lithiums. I would not recommend it for a lithium battery anyway because you do not want to let a lithium battery get flat.

Apologies if this resource has already been mentioned or if referring to another forum breaks house rules but info is info..hence...should you want a wealth of info on batteries in general, how they work, charging cycles, tests etc etc you could do little better than checking out candlepowerforums, in particular this thread:

Flashlight Electronics - Batteries Included - Threads of Interest - CandlePowerForums

links to a whole host of information to satisfy any geeky appetite for this stuff.

If you do a search on there for any information pertaining to anything regarding charging cycles and the like you'll find enough info to keep you going for weeks.

I'd summarise some of the salient points relating to the Desire's battery type in a more technical depth and try and clear up some confusion but haven't the time at the moment. Will maybe try later in the week if anyone is interested.

Hope the above is of some use.

Thanks for the link, but I didn't find much useful information there because most of that info deals with nicad & nimh batteries. It was too difficult to find much of use without reading everything. However, I did find a website that has lots of useful & well organised information.

Welcome to Battery University

I have more to write, but my PC is playing up, so I'm going to restart it.

Reactions: doad13
Upvote 0
I just made some important changes to the original post, so if you have read it previously, please look at it again.

Aside from that, I have discovered an explanation for why these phones hold their charge longer if the phone is removed from the charger and put back on again.

Essentially, the phone is being overcharged. This will indeed result in the battery holding their charge longer, but there is a trade off. You are shortening the life of the battery and will need to replace it sooner.

To explain, I first need to explain that these batteries when charged have about 4.2 volts. All batteries behave this way, a fully charged disposable AA/UM3 battery is about 1.8 volts, it can be considered flat at about 1 volt or less. When battery voltage is referred to, they use the average voltage.

Ok, so the phone's battery works best if charged to about 4.2 volts. The amount of permanent decay that results in the battery needing replacement occurs at a fairly regular rate for this voltage.

If you charge the battery to 4.3 volts, the battery will of course discharge at a slower rate because the higher the voltage, the slower the battery will drain. The number of charges you get long term will be drastically lower though.

When you charge the battery & it detects a full charge, it stops charging, these batteries can not be trickle charged. What the charger does instead is turn on & off at regular intervals to maintain the charge. You can fool the charger into doing a normal charge again by removing then reapplying it, but this will result in an overcharged battery. Frankly, this should not be possible so HTC should fix this. It seems to me that this phone has some serious issues with both it's charging and discharging. I don't know whether it's hardware or software related, but HTC should do something about it. Even the instructions for maintaining the battery are wrong.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones