• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery conditioning not working for you? LOOK HERE

Did this method extend your battery life

• Yes

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • No

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • not sure

Votes: 13 50.0%

• Total voters
You are not conditioning the battery. What you're trying to do is calibrate the phone software setting to match the level of battery capacity.

Use your phone and allow it to completely discharge to the point of shutoff. Recharge it to full (green light) and remove from charger. Boot up and reuse as normal. This allows the battery to fully charge and the phone software to reset the meter to check for battery charge. Use as normal and then repeat this process.

If you need to use your phone throughout the day, you can do this process any time, but it's key to make sure the phone does a full discharge. You should not allow it to recharge overnight and then try to top-off.

External battery chargers can do full charges and maintain maximum fill because they have trickle-charge capability and are not software controlled like the phone. The phone software is the problem with getting and maintaining a full charge.

OK - it just died and I put it on the charger. Can it sit overnight at this point or do I have to catch it turning green? This is on an enV 2 wall charger, not the USB like I was using before.

I'll unplug it and turn it on in the morning when I wake up, if this is OK to do.

Upvote 0
OK - it just died and I put it on the charger. Can it sit overnight at this point or do I have to catch it turning green? This is on an enV 2 wall charger, not the USB like I was using before.

I'll unplug it and turn it on in the morning when I wake up, if this is OK to do.

Sadly, you have to catch it as it turns green. If you don't, it will just go back to using battery power and the calibration won't happen.

If you need to do it while working or during the day, use the supplied wall charger. It should recharge in almost exactly 90 mins from empty. Turn of 4G (even if you don't have it) and SprintTV (mute it if you need silence). That will drain the battery in 3-4 hours max. That should give you the ability to do it twice in a workday.

Once you've done it, no need to keep doing it. Just do it once/month or when you notice quick drop which means calibration is off again. HTC really should have done a software correction for the calibration by now.

Upvote 0
Sadly, you have to catch it as it turns green. If you don't, it will just go back to using battery power and the calibration won't happen.

If you need to do it while working or during the day, use the supplied wall charger. It should recharge in almost exactly 90 mins from empty. Turn of 4G (even if you don't have it) and SprintTV (mute it if you need silence). That will drain the battery in 3-4 hours max. That should give you the ability to do it twice in a workday.

Once you've done it, no need to keep doing it. Just do it once/month or when you notice quick drop which means calibration is off again. HTC really should have done a software correction for the calibration by now.

I actually ended up continuously checking it until it was finally charged. I caught it maybe 2-3 mins. off I'm guessing, considering the 90 minute time it takes to charge from 0% to 100%.

I turned it on after taking it off the charger....it immediately dropped to 95% and slowly made its way down. I woke up and found it at 83%!!!!

This phone is garbage so far, from my own personal experience. If you are able to get consistent battery usage out of this thing, bless your heart. :p

Upvote 0
Rigmaster is referring to a different method (I think?)

I tried your method and the battery still dropped to the low 90s immediately after turning it on in the morning.

Zumi,

Try it when you have time during the weekend. It's frustrating, but it does make as much difference as anything can. As I mentioned, this is a temporary fix because over time, the power management software needs to be reset/recalibrated. It's sort of like when you're web-browsing tends to slow down on you PC, it's often best to just clear out your cache and recent history so your software starts without having addtional info to check through.

The process I described is not directed towards the battery. It's more about trying to get the software to more properly measure battery capacity. The software inherently isn't doing that well, but it is doing something. If you still see an immediate drop, it's just that the software that's managing power is still off.

I believe it will take a few cycles of full discharge and then charging to full for it to work. Too many people are referring this to conditioning the battery, but that's not the case. Lithium batteries don't ever need conditioning - LI technology is much more advanced than that making conditioning obsolete. If there's any "conditioning," it's to get the software power management accurately set.

Again, it's known that Evo uses power anywhere in the 30-350mah range. The low end would be with almost everything off like in Airplane mode and without doing much. The high end would be using 4G and other power-intensive activities. That's why when barely used, the Evo can go almost from a long of 2 days when in low power status (I've been able to do that by just leaving my phone alone and not using it) to barely 5 hours when heavily used (4G, SprintTV, GPS, web browsing, etc. - I've tested that too).

The Evo phone hardware itself works wonders.

The issue of battery will have to be addressed permanently by HTC software code. Android 2.2 will improve battery life, but it will come through more efficient use similar to how you can improve the fuel used by your car on a highway simply by using your foot to actively manage speed using gravity/momentum and limited braking rather than via cruise-control which accelerates and brakes much more inefficiently and without utilizing gravity/momentum.

Upvote 0
I'm considering trying to root my phone and getting Froyo on there, before officially sending this phone back and going with a Droid X (I was a long time Verizon customer, but the Evo was intriguing!)

I'll try your method 1-2 more times though. Currently draining the battery with XM streaming and sprintTV as well.

Upvote 0
I'm considering trying to root my phone and getting Froyo on there, before officially sending this phone back and going with a Droid X (I was a long time Verizon customer, but the Evo was intriguing!)

I'll try your method 1-2 more times though. Currently draining the battery with XM streaming and sprintTV as well.

Hope it works well enough for you to stick with Evo and wait for official Froyo (I'm thinking end-July or early August). I won't root my phone because it's only 7 weeks old - just my preference. If this was an older phone, I would.

I'm sticking with Sprint b/c once the videochat issues get sorted out, I'll use that feature more with my family who all live 500-1500 miles away. The other options now don't even have good outlook for vidchat. X doesn't have the front camera so vidchat's not even possible.

I've handled a X. It just doesn't feel as well made as the Evo (blockier form and don't like the keys/touch input). Moto's Blur is really not anywhere as nice as Sense despite Sense's imperfections. Oh, and when all's said and done, X-Evo-iP4-GalaxyS all will have battery life that's within mins or an hour of each other under like use and conditions. Then it comes down to which phone and network allow me to do more, and that's Sprint. I'm doing about 1.5GB of data per week. I would go crazy with VZW's pricing at that rate. And I haven't even done much with YouTube or any movie streaming while in 4G coverage yet.

Upvote 0
When you turn it on in the morning you are leaving it plugged in until it turns green again right? It doesnt sound like you are by your post... are you taking it off as soon as you turn it on? Also have you followed all of the other tips found online for battery saving? you are correct about one thing though, it is very inconsistent. I follow this formula everyday and sometimes i get 12 hrs sometimes i get 8... i am also rooted with an altered kernal and underclocked when not used...seems alot better than stock tho...

Upvote 0
When you turn it on in the morning you are leaving it plugged in until it turns green again right? It doesnt sound like you are by your post... are you taking it off as soon as you turn it on? Also have you followed all of the other tips found online for battery saving? you are correct about one thing though, it is very inconsistent. I follow this formula everyday and sometimes i get 12 hrs sometimes i get 8... i am also rooted with an altered kernal and underclocked when not used...seems alot better than stock tho...

If you're talking to me, I let Evo's power drain out at night. In the morning, I plug in to charge and take it off as soon as it turns green. Just happens to take about 90 mins to charge.

I'm getting about the same amount of time from it every time I do this so I know it's not a battery issue.

Upvote 0
I actually ended up continuously checking it until it was finally charged. I caught it maybe 2-3 mins. off I'm guessing, considering the 90 minute time it takes to charge from 0% to 100%.

I turned it on after taking it off the charger....it immediately dropped to 95% and slowly made its way down. I woke up and found it at 83%!!!!

This phone is garbage so far, from my own personal experience. If you are able to get consistent battery usage out of this thing, bless your heart. :p

Listen to what he's saying. If you diverge by a few minutes here or there, it will only take more time and cycles. *believe me* I am the poster child for battery issues from day 1 with this phone.

It takes more than 1 time. My story:

I couldn't hold a charge for a single 8 hour workday from day 1. I began searching this forum (and others ) for a solution. I tried everything. My phone would sit in it's case for 3 hours on 10% brightness, with everything that made it a nice phone turned off. And when I took it out, I'd lost 50%.

I got close to taking it back, or formatting the SD card (I'd read somewhere that an issue with it could be causing drain, and still don't fully understand how). Then I came across this thread...

I tried the solution at the top of the page 1 time to a T, did it perfectly. and when it was done, I watched as the power started to fall down to 93%. I watched as Juice plotter drew a very straight line toward the bottom of my screen, frantically flipping through apps on system panel trying to find which app was draining it. Nothing was using the CPU. I plugged it into the sdk figuring that system panel was just *wrong*. It seemed to agree that not much of anything was going on when the phone was just sitting. The problem with the sdk, is you have to plug it into the PC to read from it, and so it would charge it at the same time. this skewed things for me, because I couldn't monitor it in the unplugged state.

I ordered more batteries online, having decided that I would first be certain that my battery wasn't a dud, even though I'd had it tested 2 weeks before at a sprint store, before I would return it. However in the meantime I still had to try something, so I repeated the process. By the end of the day, it seemed as though my straight line down on juice plotter was just a little bit less steep. "Hmm... this can't be right", I was unable to believe my own eyes, because I was so skeptical after what I'd been through.

So I went to work draining the battery, so I could charge it while turned off again after a full discharge. And when I popped the plug out, it would still drop about 5%, giving me that sinking feeling. I went to work killing it.

After 3 more times after that, I got over 8 hours for the first time with moderate use. I'm betting that somewhere in these posts, the combination of items I'm using is working. I'm still hoping for better, but it's sure trending the right direction.

So I suggest this. Kill the battery, as fast and often as you can. instead of doing "either/or" do both.... when it's fully charged while powered off, unplug it. Turn it on, WAIT 2 or 3 minutes, then plug it back in until green again. Then Get to work killing the battery as fast as you can. believe me, if you throw a movie on, and do some web browsing, on 1 day off from work, you can kill it 3 times.

I can't promise you this, but I firmly believe you will start to see some improvement. I don't know why, but I've read plenty of theories as to why this "repairs" the charging apparatus. And in the end, I don't even care! If I find this continues to improve my battery life, I'll be so happy, because I love using my phone. I don't want it in its holster all day. So just try to replicate what I'm telling you, as accurately as possible, and get back to me in a couple days.

One last thing. If you are going to be in a situation where you can't be sure you'll take it off the charger, before long after the light goes green, just leave it off and unplug it, until such time as you can charge it while monitoring it for the green light.

I hope you try this, and I hope it is successful. for both our sakes, I hope I continue to see improvement also :)

Upvote 0
I have followed these instructions pretty much to the tee and my battery usage has actually gotten worse. I have fully discharged the battery 3 times today and seems to be getting progressivly worse. Last one I actually checked I pulled if off charge at 7:30 pm est, with very low 3g usage and prolly about 80 minutes of talk time the phone was completely dead at 1:15 am. I powered the phone back off charged it to full again. Currently the phone has been off charge for 20 minutes and at 88% with zero use 3:15 am atm.

Im not using a taskiller but thinking I should, have everything basically turned off 3g,4g, wifi, GPS etc. Am I missing something? The reason I purchased this phone was to use all these fantastic features....I dont mind disabling them when not in use but if the battery is falling 12% in 15 minutes and not in use then I think there is another issue.

I think Im just gonna purchase a couple of batteries from Ebay and be done with it...I just cant see getting some of the battery usage some are getting here without rooting the phone. Im totally open to suggestions though I would love to enjoy the features the evo has without worrying about how much battery its gonna drain.

Upvote 0
Take it to sprint and have them check ur phone and battery. Idk how the hell these people get 20+ hours and they claim they been using it. I dont see it happening. I get about 10-12 hours, but im actually using mines. Texting non stop, internet, and just hitting the power button just to scroll thru the home screens lls

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones