• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery Drain due to Software Bug w/GPS?

Are you able to replicate this same issue?

• Total voters
@bigbruda3rd, there is no problem using the gps, its just something running in the background that prevents the phone from sleeping...you would never see anything wrong other that having to charge often.

are you using ANY programs that use gps, weather apps, foursquare, the camera?
if you don't have anything accessing the gps you won't have battery issues even if its turn on all the time, it only happens after a program accesses the gps. also, are you using a task killer?

Upvote 0
On my orginal battery, the phone wouldn't last 6 hours in my pocket doing nothing. Verizon gave me a new battery and now it lasts 36 hours with my usage.

I see everyone focusing on the "sleeping" of the phone. Based on Spare Parts, my phone never sleeps, but still lasts 36 hours with my usage. I leave GPS on all the time and hit 16% Screen On for those 36 hours.

So there are a few other variables other than the "sleeping" of the phone if you aren't getting a full day+ out of your phone. I would suspect that based on my phone that whether the phone sleeps or not has very little direct effect on battery life. It might be the coupling of the sleeping problem with some other application or setting that causes the severe battery problems some are seeing.

Upvote 0
I have been able to reproduce the gps/sleeping bug. I think it may explain why some days I get decent battery life and other days it drains unusually quickly. Though I have never gotten close to 36 hours that dahacker gets, even with the gps turned off and light to moderate use. I might get 14-16 hours on a good day with light/moderate use.

I also ran into another issue today. Some other process must have been keeping my phone from sleeping. The gps was off and I was at 100% running since unplugging it this morning. I tried cycling the gps and killing all open tasks and the phone still would not sleep. The only thing that got it to sleep was a reboot. Now things appear to be working as they should.

Upvote 0
I also ran into another issue today. Some other process must have been keeping my phone from sleeping. The gps was off and I was at 100% running since unplugging it this morning. I tried cycling the gps and killing all open tasks and the phone still would not sleep. The only thing that got it to sleep was a reboot. Now things appear to be working as they should.
New facebook app bug? Did you run facebook before the reboot? If so, that's your answer.

Upvote 0
On my orginal battery, the phone wouldn't last 6 hours in my pocket doing nothing. Verizon gave me a new battery and now it lasts 36 hours with my usage.

I see everyone focusing on the "sleeping" of the phone. Based on Spare Parts, my phone never sleeps, but still lasts 36 hours with my usage. I leave GPS on all the time and hit 16% Screen On for those 36 hours.

So there are a few other variables other than the "sleeping" of the phone if you aren't getting a full day+ out of your phone. I would suspect that based on my phone that whether the phone sleeps or not has very little direct effect on battery life. It might be the coupling of the sleeping problem with some other application or setting that causes the severe battery problems some are seeing.

ur on 36 hrs cause u rebooted it to put the new batt in ;-)

Upvote 0
I'm getting garbage back from the Motorola contact us support link, but maybe if a few more of you send in complaints, someone will pass this along to someone who cares.

Live Chat

Then click email us.

You may need to create an account first.

Yup, the word has to go out on this one.

Also as others have pointed out, the GPS shutting off may be a glitch related to navigation.

I recently used the navigation feature in my car and needed to conserve some juice on my phone so I put it sleep, shutting the screen off. Right when I turned it back on, it was as if I had never turned it off: the map was still updating and it was still running in the background while only the DISPLAY was turned off.

It occured to me that in the case of navigation and maps, it is benificial to have a constant satillite connection. Just adding some more info to the pot.

MOTO NEEDS TO ADDRESS THIS ISSUE! :mad:

Upvote 0
I didn't think I had the problem because I have pretty good battery life, but just for kicks I did you little test and sure enough my phone didn't sleep.

Another thing i checked was instead of "since last unplugged" I put it on "total in all time" and that shows that it hasn't been sleeping for a good portion of the phones life. i have always left the gps toggle on because I didn't think it affected anything but my running time is 72% with 9days 10hours, but my screen on is only 21% with 2days 17hours. So that's a ton of time the phone wasn't fully sleeping.

I hope they know about the issue and are working on a fix.

Upvote 0
how do we bring this to google's attention? now after hearing yesterday that the samsung galaxy (a huge android launch device) is having pretty much the same problem, i think this is an issue that must be addressed by google. do any of the mods have contacts in there? or friends with google contacts? this is worrisome that moto and verizon don't seem to be listening to us...

Upvote 0
What a difference a day makes...yesterday I walked into VZ store and we watched my phone which had been turned on for 4 hours not used go from 25% battery to zero- dead in 10 minutes in front of our eyes. I let it sit at zero battery for 5 hours until I got home and charged it up last night.

Today it's been on for 5 hours and the battery has not gone down a smidge. I don't think there is anything wrong with the phone, it's the battery and the VZ guy is well aware of the problem.

On a positive note they ordered me a new phone and it will be here Monday. The wifi problem and the dead pixel was enough..they did not even question it.

Upvote 0
Has that been confirmed? Where's the thread on that? I didn't see anything obvious in the Vibrant forum.

I actually have a Vibrant too, so maybe I'll test it myself tonight.

Yes, it's confirmed. I had a Behold 2 with Galaxy firmware flashed on it and it had the sleep bug. Galaxy owners themselves are just now figuring out how to get rid of the problem. Drakaz has posted a potential fix for the Galaxy on his site.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones