• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery draining fast, but with weird stops and starts

halfbeing

Aug 1, 2011
The battery of my LG G5 has recently started draining really fast. It is only a few months old, and according to Accubattery it still has 80% of its original nominal capacity. Today it went from 100% to 20% in 8 hours, with only a modest amount of facebooking, googling and emailing.

I use Battery Mix to see if there are any applications going bananas at times of high drain, but none are showing up. However the graph of battery charge often looks very strange. There are vertical segments where a sudden and massive battery drain is indicated (for instance I recently lost several percentage points just by doing a reboot), which are often followed by horizontal segments where the battery use is supposedly close to zero, which doesn't make sense.

I bought the battery from the retailer recommended to my by the wholesaler which was recommended to my by LG support, so it ought to be authentic, but I did notice just after I bought it that the actual capacity was a little bit less than the nominal capacity.

The only advice I can find on dealing with battery drain is to reboot, which I can only do so often before it becomes silly, and to do a factory reset, after which I will presumably reinstall whichever app, if it is an app, that is causing me trouble.

How can I get my battery drain back to sane levels?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones