• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery Fake-Dies

afreet

Lurker
Nov 28, 2009
Hi all,

I've been having weird battery issues with my slightly more than a year old Sprint Samsung Galaxy S2. Sometimes (maybe 4-5 times in the past 2 months) when I'm using a program it just seems to rapidly eat the battery and the phone dies, sometimes still claiming to have battery left and sometimes not, but if I reboot it claims no battery and quickly dies again. If I wait for a while though before turning it on, when it comes back I have more battery, and even if I don't plug it in the battery INCREASES for a while until it gets back to roughly what it should have been.

For instance, in the first picture I was playing a normally non-battery-intensive puzzle game when the phone suddenly died. During that brief outtage I did turn it on and it said 1% or 2% battery right before it died again. I waited a little while longer before turning it back on and the battery was up to about 30% now, and as you can see, it continued up without me charging it.

In the second case I was watching a video in the morning, which normally takes me down 10-15% of my total battery over 25-30 minutes, but this time killed all of the 80% remaining in 15 minutes (it died right after I took the screenshot, even though I was not playing video anymore). When I turned it back on later it was higher (though this time I did happen to charge it as well, and it charged to full off a keyboard plugged in usb cable in 30 minutes, which it would never do if it really was dead).

The only somewhat similar thread I've found was "solved" by buying a new battery, but I think that person had only just bought that battery so it was completely defective. One person suggested taking the battery out for 10 minutes, and I've done that but can't assess whether it did anything since this only happens every few weeks.

281s9xt.png

mtpmr4.png

Battery calibration failure. Or you charged it while it was completely powered down (not sleeping or locked) the on-screen power off charge indicators lie. One of my ICS tablets doesn't even charge past 30% if the power is off completely, the big battery charge indicator will display full, but only give 30% power. Don't ask why. I suggest getting to where the phone is able to stay on. Then plug it in and let it charge while on. Then let it die completely, and repeat this cycle. This should recalibrate the battery indicator, and I suggest not turning the power off completely, just lock the screen where it is off but phone is on anyway, then plug it in each night.

Had an iPhone that did this often. It truly is annoying

The mobile network seems to be using some good amount of juice on your second screencap. Is your phone a CDMA phone? (Verizon, Sprint, Virgin mobile, Page Plus) are you often in a fringe or low/no service area? CDMA phones literally devour batteries and often get hot if they are in low or no signal mode. I never knew why

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones