• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery fix from Evo board.....Check it out!!!

Ok, so I thought I'd at least check this out myself to see if there was any validity to it.

Go into Phone Information, press MENU, and tap "select radio band." You should experience a Force Close, don't panic, this was supposed to happen. Scrolling down shows that the preferred network type is GSM auto (prl).

Followed the instructions in the first post.

First observation: I can scroll right down to the radio band pop-up menu without first having to press Menu...and it's already set to CDMA auto (prl).

When I do press the menu button and then the select radio band button - that does cause a force quit. Upon the test menu coming back up, the radio band is then set to GSM auto (prl). But I'm thinking this is due to the force quit itself (a bug? or perhaps the proper behavior because there are really no 'choices' of radios available?).

So I went ahead and reset it to CDMA auto - then rebooted. Checked it again, and it remains at CDMA auto.

Out of curiosity, I then did the process again, including forcing quit, but this time leaving it at GSM auto and then rebooting to see if it auto reset to CDMA. When I checked it, it was still on GSM auto...so I switched it back to CDMA and rebooted. It's still on CDMA auto now...which is where I started.

So...I suggest that GSM auto is the DEFAULT setting for the phone for some reason. Could they have come from the factory this way? Possibly. Could some app/process on your phone or factory reset cause this setting to default? Quite possibly. If you open the test menu and scroll down WITHOUT pressing the menu button (and force quitting) and it already says CDMA auto, then you've likely been alright all along.

That's my $.02

Reactions: GrandMasterB
Upvote 0
Oh...forgot to mention. The number of bars appearing really isn't as good an indicator of improvement as is the Signal strength listed under Setting>Phone Info>Network>Signal strength. I'd be interested to know (for those that haven't tried this yet) what signal strength is before and after trying this?

Mine ranged from -70 to -75db here at home before trying this. It remains the same.

Upvote 0
It's not "working" for either of you because this is bogus. Your phone can't do GSM. If it's set to it, it will still run on the correct CDMA setting. If you look at your settings BEFORE hitting "select radio band" you will see that it's already set to CDMA, and once you actually choose "select radio band" it fc's and DEFAULTS to GSM as the initial choice. It doesn't mean it was set to that already. It also hasn't changed a thing with your battery life. This thread should be closed as false information, because it is.

Reactions: dscribe
Upvote 0
Interesting... although I dont seem to have battery issues, i was intrigued by the signal strength improvement. So I gave it a try.

At the office I show in bar in 3g

did the change

now have 3 bars at 1x

changed back

1 bar in 3g...

ummm... i can't explain this but it may have something to do with the 3g network? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Why can't people read (DonDraper). No one said anything about their phones connecting to gsm. The thread is about the phone being set to TRY and connect to gsm while being connect to cdma. The issue isn't the using gsm. Its about the phone constantly trying search for something it can't connect to. Keep in mind that android was designed to run on a lot of different hardware, so its pretty logical that there may be settings that don't apply to every android phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones