• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Battery issue.not charging after battery fully dies

My friend asked me to find out if this problem is affecting others as well.

When his phone dies all the way and powers off,he puts it on the charger. But the phone will not charge. He has to pull the battery out,put it back in and then charge it for it to actually start charging again.

Anyone else having this problem.

Also his phone has been overheating. But i know that's a know issue with other users of this phone.

From the vague description of his issues, i can almost guarantee that his battery pack has been over discharged. lithium cells CANNOT be dropped below 3.7 volts without damage being done. Whats happening the initial plug in of charger is zapping cells then the phones software is recognizing that it has a bad cell in the pack. Im guessing that several disconnects and connects of charger will zap the pack enough to bring the cells to an acceptable level for the phone to deem the battery stable enough to charge. Overdischarging and heat are the biggest killers of lithium based cells. overcharging a pack when done with very well designed charger can yield great results but shorten life markedly. Ive won many points paying series races by over charging my 2 cell(7.4V) battery packs in 10th scale offroad truck. I do not reccomend doing this without a professional knowledge of these battery compositions. I would advise your said friend to warranty or replace the pack immediately. Undervoltaging a PCB could cause a phones board to "pop". Let alone the unstable nature of the cells regarding safety of you and others. They are cheap, 20 bucks. Just cycle the pack off the batt like 3-5 times and you will be a very happy camper. Ive posted how cycle in another thread. Do some reasearch on this subforum and you will find it.

Upvote 0
i wanna add also, really cold weather is REALLY bad also. All you northers dont forget your phone in your car in the winter. If you happen to do this, bring to room temp before trying to use the battery pack(operate phone).

It crystalizes the lithium when below 36 degrees farenheit, causing irreversable damage. Im researching this phones charging algorithym and batteries wiring configuration.(dont have extra to pull hard case off) So we can decide what plan of action to take on a custom battery pack designed for only lg connect software.

Upvote 0
My phone did the same thing last night. Shut down as I climbed into bed, before I got it on the charger. Woke up this morning and phone wouldn't turn on. I unplugged the charger and plugged it back in, pulled the battery and plugged it back in, nothing. I ended up pulling my wife's battery and putting it in my phone and it started up, plugged her phone in with my battery and it still wouldn't charge. Reswapped batteries to the original phones and I ended up plugging my phone into an Energizer external battery pack - finally it charged to about 5% and now it's on the regular wall charger up to 22%. I *believe* it said 3317mv before it shut down.

Upvote 0
So this problem can definitely be on other peoples phone too.

Metro is pulling some bs now with his phone. He went in 2 days ago to tell em it was overheating and wouldn't charge after fully dead without pulling the battery. The guy in there said there's mo manager in the store so he couldn't do anything. So he went home. Battery dies. So he went to pull the battery and accidently dropped his phone and shattered his screen. He went in the next day to speak to a Manager. The same guy was there he seen the day before and also a Manager. He spoke to the manager telling her the story about what was happening. And the manager is saying he has to do an insurance claim to get a replacement. Thats effing bs. I told him to let that phone overheat and melt,then take it back in there and tell the manager he's got a lawsuit on his hands now and to give him her name. LOL the phone is clearly defective ,like the esteem.

Upvote 0
*UPDATE* I disassembled the case of my battery and there is only one cell inside, so that means when lights are flashing its not balancing(cant balance one cell, there is nothing to balance out). Whats is happening is, the battery has to be a certain constant constant voltage to keep the OS stable enough to boot. When its flashing its pulse charging. That basically zaps the battery and when it goes into its lull the voltage will drop. when the drop only goes down to an acceptable amount determined by the hardware it will then tell software, ok we are ready to initiate boot sequence with out falling out of range. When you load a battery(discharge) the voltage may drop to a range that will not support full hardware acceleration or power surge(draw). Falling below recommened voltage will burn out circuitry. Underpowering electronics creates heat. I talked to the guy about customs packs and he said he can do it but, its gonna be exspensive. Not enough to orders to keep money down. He wanted *
80 dollars for one. I told him i would pass.

Upvote 0
Did he say how many orders he'd need to get the cost down? What all will this new battery pack give us?

Im not sure on how many amp hours this phones power regulators can handle, we pretty much dropped the conversation after he said 80 dollars.
We would have to do some ohm loading on my cell phone to determine what path to take on battery capacity and wiring configuration.

Upvote 0
*UPDATE* I disassembled the case of my battery and there is only one cell inside, so that means when lights are flashing its not balancing(cant balance one cell, there is nothing to balance out). Whats is happening is, the battery has to be a certain constant constant voltage to keep the OS stable enough to boot. When its flashing its pulse charging. That basically zaps the battery and when it goes into its lull the voltage will drop. when the drop only goes down to an acceptable amount determined by the hardware it will then tell software, ok we are ready to initiate boot sequence with out falling out of range. When you load a battery(discharge) the voltage may drop to a range that will not support full hardware acceleration or power surge(draw). Falling below recommened voltage will burn out circuitry. Underpowering electronics creates heat. I talked to the guy about customs packs and he said he can do it but, its gonna be exspensive. Not enough to orders to keep money down. He wanted *
80 dollars for one. I told him i would pass.

So all this BS of draining the battery 5x or more does absolutely nothing to improve performance of this phone? Wonderful.

Tell me,... can it be actually be hurting performance, or reducing battery life?

In your opinion with this new info (One cell only), should we refrain from letting it drain completely?

Upvote 0
So all this BS of draining the battery 5x or more does absolutely nothing to improve performance of this phone? Wonderful.

Tell me,... can it be actually be hurting performance, or reducing battery life?

In your opinion with this new info (One cell only), should we refrain from letting it drain completely?

Its not gonna hurt it one bit ohbaby. They say that lithium cells dont have a memory but i totally disagree. I think it was a marketing tactic to get people to buy these rechargable cells over nickel metal or cadmium. fully draining and recharging once a week is highly recommended. It will clear the memory on the battery. Im not absolutely sure that taking out battery will clear battery stats in android 2.3 but i do it anyways when the charging is complete. I heard 2.3 resets the battery stats itself when the battery hits 100%, even without having to power cycle the os. Not positive though, never looked into it or really care all that much. My original battery is perfect and only needs charging once a day. but im not playing with it all day like a child eigther.

Upvote 0
am pretty sure i read some where that a guy was running the connect on a 3000 mah battery..without a back cover...and it was working excellent for him.

it would prolly take a wall charger like 12 hours to charge that battery, not really feasible for most people. Plus the stock lg charger may not have enough "push" also know as amps to be really effective in charging a high capacity battery like that. It may cause charger to overheat or fail. Ive already had an lg esteem wall charger go bad by charging and streaming at the same time. do much draw on that particular wall unit. now a charging multimedia dock would suffice but i dont think the connect has one yet.

Upvote 0
very interesting,

so you're saying getting a 3500mAh battery for this phone would actually be a bad thing?

I wouldnt say bad but, maybe a disadvantage in some ways. The stock battery is fine. I mean you have to charge all batterys anyways. I would rather have a fresh charge rather than a "stale" one anyday of the week. Just cause a battery is "charged" doesnt mean the amps are full.

Upvote 0
how many hours do you get out of the stock battery with 4G on at all times?

I hear this question all the time and it's hard to gauge performance on what others might get. So many different uses this handset has.

Unless the test is somewhat semi controlled, how could you go by what others may get?

In my semi controlled test, with everything stock, I can surf the internet for 4 straight hours (4g). It will go from a 100% to less than 10%. Now what that means to you, might be absolutely nothing. Cause you don't use it that way. And even this test could have a worse result if I was streaming an entire hockey or basketball game.

So results will vary wildly, depending on use, and optimizations (rooted).

So needless to say,... I don't make it through the day without a charge, unless I treat it as a phone and not a toy. Can I get a lollypop now?

Upvote 0
Yeah that's why the stock battery blows. 4 hours with just web browsing? Weaksauce!

As far as using the phone like a toy. That's kind of the point of having a "high end" smartphone . If I wanted a phone just to be a phone I would've stuck with my freeform 3 or updated to an admire so I could check email and look at a webpage or two.

Reactions: ohbaby
Upvote 0
Yeah that's why the stock battery blows. 4 hours with just web browsing? Weaksauce!

As far as using the phone like a toy. That's kind of the point of having a "high end" smartphone . If I wanted a phone just to be a phone I would've stuck with my freeform 3 or updated to an admire so I could check email and look at a webpage or two.

My sentiments exactly. If your battery last all day,..... your not using this device to its full potential.

Just received the 1900 high capacity in the mail. Will see how much more time I can surf. If I were to guess, I'd say an extra hour.

But what I'm really hoping for though,.... is the possibilty of this device running a bit cooler with the new bigger battery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones