• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery keeps draining / running after using Spotify or Grooveshark

gr8gonzo

Lurker
Jul 25, 2011
I first noticed this problem when I was using Grooveshark. After listening to some music, I'd pause and/or exit out of Grooveshark (which would be the only thing running), and then an hour later, I'd notice that the phone was running pretty warm and I'd look at it and the battery would be nearly dead.

Then I'd check the battery use and it would say things like Display or Cell Standby being 40% or higher (I usually have the phone sitting on the desk facing up, so I know the display wasn't on).

I figured it was a Grooveshark bug so I switched to using Spotify and the exact same thing happens with Spotify, too, which leads me to believe there may be some underlying bug related to streaming audio or just data streaming in general, where things just stay running or there's some infinite loop happening.

Worse yet, even if I plug the phone in and it indicates it's charging, it might still die. I got to the 15% warning, plugged it in, and about 3-5 minutes later, it turned off.

My phone is rooted and I'm using a version of the latest stock ROM with only a few of the bloat apps removed, so it's about as close to the original as you can get.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or know of a solution? I have an extended battery, too, but when the battery drains constantly, it only helps so much.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones