• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Life Suddenly Cut in Half!

Edit:
I went to tether with my phone last night and discovered that I apperently no longer have root!. Root Explorer, SetCPU, ROMManager, etc wouldn't work.
Did I really lose root? How?
I was also being prompted to upload an update. I hadn't gotten the prompt before.
So this morning (Sat) I reinstalled Fabulous' ota fix and got root back. I don't know how I screwed that up the first time.
But I'm still getting the prompt to install the update. Is this because the update is actually already downloaded on my phone? Do I simply locate where the file is & delete it or accept the update?
As far as I can understand, Fabulous' OTA fix is supposed to trick the service provider into seeing your phone as having 2.1 installed, correct? (Sorry. I'm confused.)

...I expect this should be moved to the All Things Root section, but I didn't realize it was a root issue when I first asked about my battery problem. ;)

Upvote 0
OK, now I'm back to having no root again.
This really sucks. A lot.

I had everything all set, mostly. The only thing that wasn't right was that the lockscreen was the botched 2.0 - apparently it doesn't play nice with 2.1 and the graphics get all screwed up. I dunno. But I wanted everything the way AIwanted it; -right.
So I screwed around with it, and spent probably about 3 hours on forums trying to find out how to get the damn lockscreen back to the 2.1 slider that was working fine before. I finally found the solution; update to a previous restore that had it using ROM Manager, but uncheck everything but the system file. I tried it, and it worked!
Success!
...Then my damned battery started draining again.
So I figured, ok, I restored the system to a date in late April, but I guess Fab's OTAfix.zip needs to be planted again.
I did that, lost root again, and now here I am. I've tried reinstalling the OTA fix both by finding it on the SD card in it's original location (SD Card/download) and also by copying it, moving it to the SD root and renaming it update.zip. Niether one got my root back. ROM Manager is usless to me right now.
I thought I just screwed up last time on the install of Fab's file, but now I have NO idea wtf I'm doing.
-Well, I didn't before either, so what's the difference.
This is why I like to set up the damned thing just so and leave it alone! It's just too easy to get in over my head when something goes wrong.
Any help is appreciated.

Upvote 0
Edit:
I went to tether with my phone last night and discovered that I apperently no longer have root!. Root Explorer, SetCPU, ROMManager, etc wouldn't work.
Did I really lose root? How?
I was also being prompted to upload an update. I hadn't gotten the prompt before.
So this morning (Sat) I reinstalled Fabulous' ota fix and got root back. I don't know how I screwed that up the first time.
But I'm still getting the prompt to install the update. Is this because the update is actually already downloaded on my phone? Do I simply locate where the file is & delete it or accept the update?
As far as I can understand, Fabulous' OTA fix is supposed to trick the service provider into seeing your phone as having 2.1 installed, correct? (Sorry. I'm confused.)

...I expect this should be moved to the All Things Root section, but I didn't realize it was a root issue when I first asked about my battery problem. ;)

I don't know what ROM you're running, but I had the same problem with the leaked version of Pete's Bugless Beast 1.0, so I couldn't back up my files with Titanium back-up, adjust my overclock, or anything like that. I downloaded the official release, rebooted into clockwork recovery, and installed it that way. I've been running that since Friday morning, and haven't had any issues. My batter life is back to roughly where it should be (Camden, NJ, isn't the friendliest place for cellular reception so I lose some searching for signal) and the whole phone seems to be more responsive and fluid.

Upvote 0
Psycho: Sounds like you've had a lot of trouble and you have tried piecing it together. If I was you, I'd use RSDLite to restore back stock 2.01. I'd then root it (do not accept the update). Then I'd install RomManager and download BBv1 and NexTheme. I've been running on it since it came out, without any problems - no battery drain, no prompting, no nothing. Maybe it's luck, maybe it's NexBeast!

Good luck!

Upvote 0
H
Psycho: Sounds like you've had a lot of trouble and you have tried piecing it together. If I was you, I'd use RSDLite to restore back stock 2.01. I'd then root it (do not accept the update). Then I'd install RomManager and download BBv1 and NexTheme. I've been running on it since it came out, without any problems - no battery drain, no prompting, no nothing. Maybe it's luck, maybe it's NexBeast!

Good luck!

I've been using Simply Stunning and Adams LV kernal. Battery life has been terrible recently so I tried otafix without reading the thread fully and unrooted my phone. Fortuneately I had a recent nandroid back up. I am going to try a data wipe and try BB 1.0 to see if it is any better.

Upvote 0
I've been getting better battery life with the P3Droid kernal....

H

I've been using Simply Stunning and Adams LV kernal. Battery life has been terrible recently so I tried otafix without reading the thread fully and unrooted my phone. Fortuneately I had a recent nandroid back up. I am going to try a data wipe and try BB 1.0 to see if it is any better.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones