• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery Life

Tradman

Lurker
Jul 13, 2010
Hey all,
Thinking of making a jump from the HTC Desire to the Galaxy S. I have recommended the Galaxy S to my friends over the Desire as I am getting very poor battery life. Unplugged it this morning(8.30) and I'm at 54% now (1.00). Typically won't get 12 hours. I'm not a hugely heavy user either but I'd love to be able to make it through the day. So my question to you nice people is, how is the Galaxy S working out? I know on paper it's better than the Desire for Battery amongst other things but I'd like to hear your results?
Thanks in advance

I can get through a full day of browsing, watching vids, listening to music, etc. on a single charge. I had a Desire for a few weeks, but found the battery life made it useless for me if i spent a day out of the office. I tried a PAYG Galaxy Portal, which had pretty good battery life (with moderate use it lasted 2-3 days at a festival i went to last month) but was tempted by the SGS on a decent upgrade deal. Battery is better than the Desire's, but not as good as the Portal's. Froyo may make a difference, though.

Upvote 0
Mine barely lasts a day; a lot depends on your usage though. I take few calls then send and receive a fair bit of texts. My 3G connection is always active with gmail and gtalk running in the background. but I dont have lot of widgets, just one to keep an eye on data, and a simple sense UI like clock that has wether info. I rarely use Wi-Fi. Despite AMOLED being advertised as a very energy efficient screen, that happens to be the biggest battery consumer (next to , or sometimes even before calls). So, if you are a light user then you should be able to get at least a day.

Hi,
The answer is simply to buy a spare battery, (About

Upvote 0
I get a full day with reasonably heavy use. Email checks every 10 minutes and wifi and Bluetooth stay on. 10-20 calls a day about 1 to 2 minutes. Browse a lot and also check things like weather and currency plus the odd game. This will still have half a battery after 14 hours

JG8 software and rooted- but I doubt that makes any difference

Upvote 0
I had the Desire and the battery under heavy use would last 6-7 hours, under light use 12 hours and that was it.

Know i have the galaxy s and what a aphone, the battery can last me under light use 3 days and heavy use about 2 and half days. no missed call issues anymore.

I would recommend the galaxy well ove rthe HTC desire.

Upvote 0
Just a quick heads up about battery life and for those that are getting a day or less from it.
I went through some trouble shooting with my phone and my partners (both the same Samsung Galaxy S running similar apps) and she was getting 2-3 days with me getting a full day if I was lucky, the only difference was the look of the sim cards.
Went into the Optus shop and after forcing them give me a new one (the little ones that have the micro sim on them as well) I can now get 2 days out of my phone.
So that might be something to look at if you're getting low phone life. Maybe the other sims aren't totally compatible with these new phones? *shruggs*..
cheers

Upvote 0
Guys,

I am surprised to see some of the comments in this thread. 2 days with heavy use and 3 days with moderate use? What do you mean by heavy and moderate?

I bought this last week and to be honest since then I have not managed to get it to last for even a whole day (i.e. 24 hours). I am not a "heavy" user, i.e. not even 1 hour voice call, 1 hour video, 1 hour music playback, 1 hour browsing.

All that is running on it 24/7 is the background data synchronisation. My google mail account is configured and is sync'ing all the time.
Now I am curious to know if that is taking up all the power? If that is the case, I would rate this phone very poor, because with a smartphone like this I would expect email sync to be a standard function which should have had a powerful enough battery to support it.

I own a Blackberry Curve as well and I used that for most of the voice calls during the day. Man, you won't believe this. It lasts for at least 4 days without recharge and the email accounts are constantly in sync as well.

I have been thinking about returning it and getting an iPhone seriously. My initial excitement is slowly melting away. I must admit, when I had it in my hands for the first time, I was proud of my decision NOT to go with the iPhone crowd. But I do not know if this phone is mature enough for serious business.

I would appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks.

Upvote 0
andyfan_uk.
there are many many things that can affect the battery life.. Have a look through the various threads here and see if the things you are doing are affecting it...
with wifi,gps off, back light on lowest, synch on and WITH a brand new sim card (the little ones with the micro sim in it) I was able to move from just under a day to 2 days easy.. that would be with medium use. Facebook and twitter every two hours.. emails a couple an hour.. about 1hr of calls /day and about 30 texts...
remember.. this phone has a HUGE screen that takes up a large chunk of your battery.. a nice black wallpaper is going to make a huge difference to battery life.. using live wallpapers... will kill it in hours.
But really.. have a look through.. you can also check your battery settings page on the phone and it will tell you what is using the most power
Oh and use a task killer.. leaving apps running will also use more power than having them closed one you finish with them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones