• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery Life???

When you say vibrate features, which ones specifically? Haptic feedback, keyboard vibration? What else? Both of these? One or the other? Any more I missed?

I'm talking everything. I've got vibrate turned off for each app, texting, phone calls, haptic feedback, etc. The only vibration I left active is for my unlock screen.

I was only lucky enough that one day though. My battery life has seemed to settle around 10.5 hours.

Upvote 0
So I got this phone at launch. Started out getting 8 hours, yesterday I got 10.5.

Today I got a quite excellent 16.5 hours.

1. I Set Facebook to never update data- I'll open the app when I want to see what's happening. No need for data to constantly be pushed!

2. I set Twitter to never update data- Same reasoning as above

3. I set my phone to CDMA(3G) only. No 4G in my area so I guess it might be searching for it when it's in auto mode.

4. I set my weather/clock widget to update only every 12 hours.

5. I turned WiFi and GPS off when not in use.

6. My screen is still on auto brightness and I do have data enabled so that I know when emails come in. I have also turned off much of the vibrate features.

Tomorrow I will try turning LTE/CDMA auto back on to see how much worse it is while keeping the rest the same.

Geez have I made a big mistake with this phone? With the above settings and teh 1850 battery on the DX I would get a couple of days anyway

On another note the toggle is nice but I have 4g and want to use 4g so I will not be switching back and forth even if it means rebooting the phone (not the best solution I have seen)

Upvote 0
Geez have I made a big mistake with this phone? With the above settings and teh 1850 battery on the DX I would get a couple of days anyway

A couple days!!?? Wow. I am putting my X on the charger every afternoon most times. If I could get 10.5 out of my phone I would cry (joy). I don't expect to get a couple days out of a smart phone. No one should IMHO. I am willing to sacrifice putting it on a charger to use some of the features you are supposed to enjoy with haptic and display and what not. I really do buy in to certain market apps not being optimized to "protect" the battery and processing because they are poorly written and Lord only knows what apps one might have vs another on his/her phone, thus making battery comparison apples to oranges. Anyway, off my soap box. Sorry. To each his own. Giddyup.

Upvote 0
Ok something is wrong with my Revo then. I took it off the charger last night around 7pm at 100%. I went to sleep and woke up at 4am the phone was unused the entire time and it's now at 36%. I also noticed when i was tethering it to my ipad while it was plugged in the battery wasn't charging it was still draining very slowly though. So i'm not sure if it's the phone, the battery or an app that's causing this?

I'm using juice defender and I'm getting very prolong battary use. For example, I forgot to charge my revolution last night and woke up with 80% juice.

Upvote 0
1st of all tethering is using a whole lot of phone power. It may sound odd but your phone is basically using the power as it's getting it, leaving very little left to store.

2nd, USB charging connected to a computer always takes longer than if you are plugged directly into the wall.

I might try WiFi hotspotting while plugged into the wall and see how that works. It used to work well on my Droid.

I have the revolution (1st one sold out of my local store). Anyway, while battery life is better than the Thunderbolt that I returned, not by much. And also, tethering sucks the battery dry. I go to unplug the tether, and boom, battery dead. Really. Then I called LG few minutes ago and got Peggy overseas. "She" wants me to reset phone (of course), and unplug battery. First, I told her (him) that I can't because there's not battery left and I don't have a 2nd phone. I just told him to log the call. Had to repeat the spelling of my name 10x and gave up.

I can understand the wall charger giving out a full 1A charge, but USB is just barely powering the tether to internet. But taht means having to buy a 2nd battery for when I unplug it. And it literally takes about 8 hours to charge with OEM charger.

Even the thunderbolt fully charged in a couple of hours--and used it back up in two hours. LOL. I don't bother with tweaking display, etc. I want to use the phone the way I want to and deal with recharges more than usual, but they should find a way to double battery capacitiy and keep in 1400/1500mah size pack. It's crazy that phones come so far, yet the same battery has been used for years. I don't want an extended battery to add to the bulk. Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there that I am running into similar issue with tether depleting the battery.

Oh, one more thing on tethering / hotspot. Tethering works perfectly, but connecting via hotspot results in an average of a disconnect every hour or so.

Upvote 0
I don't bother with tweaking display, etc. I want to use the phone the way I want to and deal with recharges more than usual, but they should find a way to double battery capacitiy and keep in 1400/1500mah size pack. It's crazy that phones come so far, yet the same battery has been used for years. I don't want an extended battery to add to the bulk. Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there that I am running into similar issue with tether depleting the battery.

Doubling the battery capacity while keeping the same physical volume is extremely difficult technically. Increasing the density of battery material will likely cause fire or explosion like what happened with Sony batteries in laptops some years ago.

We can't simply expect 3G phone like battery drain rate in 4G phones because the radio chip, processor is working harder to communicate, processer more data per second. It can't go against simple physics. The improved battery life in 4G phone will come by advances in application processor, radio chips more interated, getting smaller and hence consuming less power.

Upvote 0
I run CrunchyRoll and Pandora all day along with other games and web and I get about 6 hrs before I turn yellow. I have a full 4G signal. When GPS and WiFi are turned on I get about 4 hrs. I can go all day and still be 3/4 if I am idle. I love this phone. I wish we would get the 2.3 update so we could use video chat with google.

Upvote 0
I had the battery dock/spare battery for LG Revo, had to get it through FEDEX. It was 39.99 and VZW knocked off 25% (29.99 + tax) because the battery life on the TB and LG Revo was so bad. Heck they offered me 50% off of the extended battery if I purchased the TB. In the end I took the dock/spare battery back to VZW to apply toward the Droid Charge dock/spare battery they had in stock at the store, they knocked 25% off because I said they did it for the others, why not this one too. The battery life on the Droid Charge is about twice that of the LG Revo, in my observations, there are others getting better life than I did.

Upvote 0
When I changed a bunch of settings to get battery life of 16 hours I had switched to CDMA only. My daily battery life settled around 12 hours. Today I switched back to CDMA/LTE and I got 12.5 hours like the day prior with CDMA only selected. To me it seems like the other little things that I did is what actually got my phone to get better life out of the battery. I still do not have 4G in my city by the way.

I installed Google goggles the other day and I noticed that just by installing it, not even using it, it was responsible for 35% of my battery usage!!! WTF over?? I opened the app once and closed it! After unistalling Goggles Android system is still the biggest battery hog with occasional Google Maps taking a percentage and cell standby as well.

I've also had the desktop dock with extra battery for about 5 days. It's pretty nice but can only charge one thing at a time. I'd almost rather have a separate charger for my additional battery. There is an LED that indicates the external battery is charging (red) or that it is fully charged (green). There is also an LG icon on the front that glows lightly on the appropriate color. When the phone is plugged in the LG icon is to bright for bedside. It's a bright white light. I want to find some clear colored tape to dim the light. I don't like the Desk Home interface, so I installed "Alarm Clock Plus." It is almost identical to the Original Droid dock app. Love having my backup battery. I usually just use the dock to charge my extra battery and plug my phone in separately to ensure they both charge up without having to wait for eachother. The phone takes precedence.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone - I'm a total newbie to smart phones, but I am hoping that someone here can give me some guidance with my new Revolution. I knew that the battery life on a smart phone would be less than a "regular" phone, but I'm thinking that there is something wrong with mine. I'll try to list what all I've done to lower battery usage - please let me know if there is something else that I should be doing!

I'll start with the information on the battery drain. It was fully charged (via wall charger) this morning at 8:30, and at 10:30 after 15 minutes of talking on the phone it's down to 78%. The rest of the time, the phone was just sitting on my desk! I've turned down the screen brightness as much as I can; I turned off background data; turned off wi-fi and blue tooth; removed all emails I had set up (hotmail/yahoo) and only left my "work" email, which is a pop acct. I've changed the network to CDMA only, instead of LTE/CDMA. I haven't downloaded a bunch of apps; however I did install text free, and I'm not sure how frequently that tries to "check" for new messages. When I check the settings to see what is sucking my battery, it says android system is 74%, dialer is 22% and standby, voice calls and phone idle are all 2%. (And that doesn't even add up to 100% - not sure what's up with that!)

So anyway, I'm really lost on this, and I'm not sure if there is something else I can do to make it last longer, or if this battery is just crap. I called Verizon to try to get tech support, and the only thing they wanted to do was send me an extra life battery at no charge to replace this one. They weren't even interested in troubleshooting with me, or answering questions. So any help you can give to me would be greatly appreciated! And hopefully I've given you enough information - please just let me know if I've omitted something. This is my very first smart phone. :)

Upvote 0
Ive been using Data Switch for a couple of days now. I work in a building with a lot of interference and depending where I am at in the building I have anywhere from full 4G coverage to no signal whatsoever. Yesterday I used no power management at all to see just how bad the building affects my 2900mah extended battery

Hey Chris, seems like that extended battery has done some good work for you. I have been interested in getting it myself however the extra bulk is something I'm not a fan of. Do you mind uploading a couple pictures showing what it looks like? I can't find any good pictures online. I appreciate it.

Upvote 0
Here's a listing for one on eBay that shows what the battery and back look like.
NEW OEM Revolution Extended Battery with Battery Cover | eBay

I bought one of these and it makes a big difference in the useful life of a daily charge. I've tried all the power management tricks and apps and there were drawbacks or side effects to everything, and I just wanted the phone to work as I'd been used to on previous devices. With this battery it lasts easily all day and doesn't give me any grief.

The back looks ungainly, but the extra girth actually makes the phone easier to hold onto. I don't use any elaborate cases or mounts, so it's not much of an issue for me. My usual routine involves powering the phone off at night and letting it charge, then powering back up in the morning. It's generally on from 5:00am to 10:00pm. - MarkC

Upvote 0
So 4G came to my area about a month ago and ever since then my regular battery would die after 6 hours. I tried the extended battery yesterday for the first time and I got 18 hrs and 40 mins with 9% battery left. I don't mind the added hump on the back to accommodate the larger battery size.

The desktop dock and car mount is fully compatible with the extended battery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones