• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery problems, quirks and issues: Read first.

Battery was full charged last night via wall charger then the rest of the night on the USB. Took the phone off the charger around 12 pm. Played NFL live non stop for about 2 hours with bluetooth, GPS on, screen maximum brightness with no timeout. Then played ABC news on sprint TV for another hour non stop. Battery went down to 5% around 3:05. Played Pandora non stop till 3:30 the battery is now at 3% and still playing. Battery died at 3:45

Upvote 0
Ok, so I am not sure what I am doing wrong.. I have the same apps/widgets (with the exception of Battery Graph.. and I've removed Locale completely) that I had on my hero. I've tried draining the battery til it won't come on (which is annoying since below 15% OS seems to reboot if you try t do anything like browse the market or a webpage.. though oddly other things don't effect it at all).. I drained again and "topped off" with the USB and today I received pretty much no phone calls. According to spare parts my usage since about 5:50AM is:

Running 12.3%
ScreenOn 8.6%
Phone On 0.9%

Also, GPS is on but not being used by any app. WiFi was on when I was at home and BT has been off all day. I reset the phone this morning before unplugging so no apps used the previous day effected anything.

I've barely even used this thing over the past twelve hours.. but after 12 hours I'm at 15%! If this doesn't last me until 9:30 or 10ish like the hero did (although the hero would usually have 15-20% left.. I usually plugged it in for the night anyway) what are my options.. or what do you all recommend? Do I just need to try try again? Is there a technique I've missed?

This might be odd and I thought it was when i did it to mind but turn gps off. I did this and battery was alot better now this might not have been it but that was only thing i did different from one day to another.

Upvote 0
I thought I'd chime in with my own experiences. After performing 2 full discharge and fully-charge cycles (with the most recent charge being done USB-to-USB), I have a 70% charge left on my Moment, 9.5 hours after taking it off the charger. I've made 3-4 calls of 5 minutes or less, done a bunch of texting, IMed a bunch on Gtalk and surfed the web a few times for a couple of minutes each. My settings are as follows:

Low brightness
Bluetooth OFF
Wi-Fi ON for about 2 hours, OFF the remainder of the time
Data Roaming OFF
GPS Receiver OFF
Auto-sync OFF
Background Data OFF
Screen shutoff set to 30 seconds

It would be interesting to see if someone with identical settings gets similar battery life. I believe that the WiFi and GPS radios being turned off contributes significantly to the good battery life.

On a loosely related note, I have had no problems at all with my GPS when I'm in the open and there aren't trees or buildings blocking the path to the satellites. Sprint Navigation and all other location aware services work perfectly.

brandon..

Upvote 0
after two full discharge and recharge cycles with no luck, I decided to try out the topping off with usb method last night. i don't know how or why it worked but something happened. took off usb charge at 7 this morning and it actually held a 100% reading for 5 hours. went to 90% around 12 then at around 5 it dropped to 80%. all this was with 3 calls 5 minutes each, sent received 15 texts and used Pandora for ten minutes. much improved from before

Upvote 0
I was an Electronics Technician in the Navy and when we had to do our maintenance on the UPS(s) of the severs and switch gear it was required for us to kill the battery, service and then power up the equipment. I've seen a great improvement in battery life since conditioning my battery.

UPS systems typically use a Lead/Acid battery which has a completely different charge/discharge cycle than the Lithium-Ion battery in wireless phones.

Upvote 0
Is anyone else having an issue with their charger connecting?

It seems like I have to jiggle mine just right to get it to recognize the charger as plugged in. It never used to do it, but I think I may know what caused it.

I was worried when I originally bought the 'Sprint' car charger and tried it for the first time (WAAAY over priced, but I figured better safe than sorry :(). Compared to the included USB and a/c chargers, the Sprint car charger barely fit in the unit, I mean, it took effort to get it plugged in. I thought that was an intended feature, so that the phone didn't accidentally unplug if I picked up the phone while driving (like how the Razor charger used to fall out, if the phone was held sideways)

So I'm wondering if that charger might have messed up the contact points inside my phone? The USB charger seems to work every time, but the a/c and the car chargers both have to be plugged in 'just right' to charge.

Has anyone else bought the Sprint car charger? Or does anyone else generally have the same issue?

Upvote 0
Question for everyone.. after you condition the battery can you charge with the wall charger..or do you have to keep topping off w/ usb

I am doing wall charger then top off with USB

Is anyone else having an issue with their charger connecting?

It seems like I have to jiggle mine just right to get it to recognize the charger as plugged in. It never used to do it, but I think I may know what caused it.

I was worried when I originally bought the 'Sprint' car charger and tried it for the first time (WAAAY over priced, but I figured better safe than sorry :(). Compared to the included USB and a/c chargers, the Sprint car charger barely fit in the unit, I mean, it took effort to get it plugged in. I thought that was an intended feature, so that the phone didn't accidentally unplug if I picked up the phone while driving (like how the Razor charger used to fall out, if the phone was held sideways)

So I'm wondering if that charger might have messed up the contact points inside my phone? The USB charger seems to work every time, but the a/c and the car chargers both have to be plugged in 'just right' to charge.

Has anyone else bought the Sprint car charger? Or does anyone else generally have the same issue?

I am not having this issue, it sounds like you may have "stretched" the housing with a dongle that was to large for the port on the phone.

Upvote 0
My last car charger was from Sprint and I had issues just like you are talking about, only on a different phone, with 2 different chargers. I was stupid enough to buy a second one. No problems with any other charger I used, just the car charger. That said. I dont buy car chargers from Sprint anymore.

A good solution would be to buy a USB charger from best buy for 15 to 20 bucks and just use your data cable. I have a one with duel USB slots for both the phone, and the headset. Go jawbone!

Upvote 0
So this is now promising.. the battery has lasted 6 hours at 15%. Just went down to 5%. But it used to give the batt warning and remain at 15% but crash/reboot until power down. So the question is.. do I continue to condition the battery

update: ok.. so this might sound weird but after thinking about it the phone seemed much snappier today to everything.. even as the battery is on 5% its fast and using the web browser doesn't cause android to reboot. Anyone else notice the same?

update 2: ok so now its down to 3%.. everything is acting ok.. nothings crashing and phones running fast. I also noticed that although the battery is so low, the lock screen doesn't say "connect your charger" like it used to.

Upvote 0
So this is now promising.. the battery has lasted 6 hours at 15%. Just went down to 5%. But it used to give the batt warning and remain at 15% but crash/reboot until power down. So the question is.. do I continue to condition the battery

What were some of the applications that crashed when your battery was low? The reason I ask is that my BT occasionally shuts off when its in use when my battery is low but I wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one experiencing this. Also, when navigating the web with a low battery, I occasionally get random re-boots. But I just installed the Dolphin browser and I wasn't too sure if that was causing it. Again, I had low battery.

Upvote 0
What were some of the applications that crashed when your battery was low? The reason I ask is that my BT occasionally shuts off when its in use when my battery is low but I wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one experiencing this. Also, when navigating the web with a low battery, I occasionally get random re-boots. But I just installed the Dolphin browser and I wasn't too sure if that was causing it. Again, I had low battery.

Browser, facebook, market all caused crashing when less than 15% until last night.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure most of the battery issues with ANY Sprint phone stem from poor network coverage. When I'm in bigger cities (El Paso, Tucson, Phoenix) my battery will last forever...but when in smaller towns (Roswell, Sierra Vista, Artesia) my battery will drain in approximately 10-11 hours with moderate web, text and email use (very few calls). Just so you know, the signal meter will show the same number of bars whether in a big city or small city but the phone seems to get warmer in the smaller cities. That translates to me as the cellular radio working harder, right? I've done the "drain completely, charge & top-off" method a few times with varied results. I'm convinced network coverage is the culprit. I still love this phone.

FYI - I began noticing this when I got my Palm 800w some time ago, then with my Touch Pro, then with my Pre, and my Hero...and now my Moment.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure most of the battery issues with ANY Sprint phone stem from poor network coverage. When I'm in bigger cities (El Paso, Tucson, Phoenix) my battery will last forever...but when in smaller towns (Roswell, Sierra Vista, Artesia) my battery will drain in approximately 10-11 hours with moderate web, text and email use (very few calls). Just so you know, the signal meter will show the same number of bars whether in a big city or small city but the phone seems to get warmer in the smaller cities. That translates to me as the cellular radio working harder, right? I've done the "drain completely, charge & top-off" method a few times with varied results. I'm convinced network coverage is the culprit. I still love this phone.

FYI - I began noticing this when I got my Palm 800w some time ago, then with my Touch Pro, then with my Pre, and my Hero...and now my Moment.

Bingo! I think I posted this on the first page of this thread. Your meter also reflects the amount of usage to "expect" if the gain on the antenna remains at that setting.....just like an instantaneous reading on a trip computer on your car. If you floor the accelerator you will see readings of 5mpg or less. Obviously, if yuo keep it floored, you will realize that gas mileage. And obviously if you lift off of the throttle, then the instantaneous reading will improve. Our battery meter(and every other cellphone battery meter) works the same exact way. If you are in an area with very low signal, your phone will floor the accelerator to keep an adequate signal. The battery meter will reflect expected battery life at that "throttle setting". Some of us hang out in better signal areas than others. That is why we are getting inconsistent results.

BTW, the USB thing did not work for me although I do not have a gripe with battery life on this phone. It almost always lasts me all day and then some. I did get poor results while charging the phone on an airplane jack. But that was isolated.

Upvote 0
I've talked with a tech support from sprint and he told me something off the wall. He stated that the app that the droid OS uses pretty much puts the phone into over kill mode every time you use the app to text. He stated it would kick the processor into 100% usage when you sent a text that way. Of course higher processor strain equals more juice to suck. They suggest you use a 3rd party app in order to send and receive sms or mms. What do you guys think?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones