• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Replacement in the Future

I agree. My Nexus 5 (still running KitKat, btw) is over 2 years old now and the battery, whilst quite adequate for the moment, seems not to last quite as long between charges. I suspect that I, too, will want to replace it before too long and would also be interested in hearing about reliable replacements.
I see no reason to buy a new phone just for the dubious pleasure of owning a nice, modern one although I know that many people do think this way!
Sad that we live in an age geared toward tossing old (6 months) electronics simply because of the latest craze. I also think that if someone wants to keep using older reliable products instead of newer ones that perhaps burn your car down (Samsung in the news!), that is their prerogative. Wouldn't it be great if a forum actually answered a query, rather than be a dumping ground for people to knock someone else's opinion. Hope you find your product without as much of a hassle as this poor gentleman.

Upvote 0
We're not all tossing gear away every six months, and I do change my phone every year, however I do listen to a 45 year old radio daily. User replaceable batteries readily available, anywhere
cfaafaffb819c0dcf08fb06eadf46c7a.jpg

Made In China :thumbsupdroid:

Last edited:
Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
Been a while since I've been by. Nice to see this thread resurrected. Still happily using my Nexus 5. Running the final official MM version of Dirty Unicorns, my battery still does pretty well and stays pretty cool. Runs like a champ. Will I get a new phone this year. Maybe. Hard to justify it so far. There will probably even be an unofficial Nougat DU ROM for the Nexus 5.

To answer the battery question, there are some available on Amazon (.com, but I assume .co.uk as well). Here are two of the best reviewed:

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-...t_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TN2M9842FNN1C6EGQF95

https://www.amazon.com/KULE-2300mAh...rd_wg=TUmkS&psc=1&refRID=GT99YF8AFDHHWV2WQ9CZ

The reviews on that second mention the batteries having a 2016 manufacturing date. That's a good thing to look for. Replacement batteries are sometimes a crap shoot if they've been sitting in a warehouse for a couple of years.

I love my Nexus 5. Probably my favorite handheld since my Palm TX, even though I'd really like more internal memory and a bigger screen. ;-)

Upvote 0
I fitted a new, genuine LG battery in my N5 this week, as the 2013 one it shipped with has been playing up a lot lately and the phone kept randomly shutting down, making it unusable.

The new battery life isn't great at the moment, but I've put that down to it needing some long charges.

I'm still running official KitKat on it, as it's my favourite Android to use as a phone. That said, the phone I used in its place had Marshmallow on it and apart from one thing, I quite liked it, so I've been tempted to finally accept that software update prompt on mine. What to do!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones