• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

battery suddenly not lasting long

malkybck

Lurker
Sep 17, 2017
Hi everyone :)

had an S8 for just under 2 months now and love it, but this past week the battery life has been plummeting so quick and i just wondered if anyone would know what could be causing this as im not doing anything different with it?

when i optimise i still get 100/100 but i notice in the battery usage its the screen thats using most of the battery even though i always lock it when not using the phone so its very rarely sitting with the screen open idle. so for example at the moment, i charged it 7 hours ago and have only have 10% battery left, it says over 4 hours of this has been used on 'screen' at 35%, also 'android system' has used 11%, android os 5%, device idle 5%, then 5% on facebook and 10% on pokemon go. (i know pokemon go uses a lot of battery but i havent played it any more than usual).

the same thing happens during the night it can lose about 20-30% during the night, surely this isnt normal?

any help would be hugely appreciated,

thanks,

Malky

when i optimise i still get 100/100

What exactly are you doing to "optimize"? You shouldn't have to do that ... EVER.

First go to settings>battery and see what your top power users are. If the phone is getting hot, then it's definitely got a power hungry process. Sometimes an app or a process used by an app with get "stuck" running and just keep going, sucking power and draining your battery. Most of the times simply restarting your phone will fix that.

If a restart doesn't help you might consider booting into recovery and wiping the system cache.

The only other thing it might be is a bad battery. If the phone isn't getting hot but you see a rapid drop in power with nothing showing up is the battery stats, it could be the battery itself.

Upvote 0
I have a Moto X 2nd Gen running Android 6.0. Seemingly out of nowhere, I had a problem with the battery that was causing it to drain rapidly, but worse than that, when it would get below 60%, it would shut off. Got to a point where I had to charge it anytime I was home, in my car, at my desk or really anytime I was near an outlet. I recently bought a new phone so I did a factory reset on the Moto X. In this virgin state, it now holds a charge for 3 days and the battery goes all the way down to 0% before it shut off. So I have to assume that there was at least one app installed that was killing the battery and messing with the battery percentage reporting to the OS. So I'm going to suggest to you that it may be an app that is causing your trouble. You may want to try removing some apps, or doing a factory reset and bringing apps back one at time until you can figure out which is the culprit.

Upvote 0
What exactly are you doing to "optimize"? You shouldn't have to do that ... EVER.

First go to settings>battery and see what your top power users are. If the phone is getting hot, then it's definitely got a power hungry process. Sometimes an app or a process used by an app with get "stuck" running and just keep going, sucking power and draining your battery. Most of the times simply restarting your phone will fix that.

If a restart doesn't help you might consider booting into recovery and wiping the system cache.

The only other thing it might be is a bad battery. If the phone isn't getting hot but you see a rapid drop in power with nothing showing up is the battery stats, it could be the battery itself.

Maybe ive used the wrong word sorry, but when i click settings then battery it automatically starts doing that thing and always says 100/100 before i can then see the ussge etc.

Phone isnt getting hot and i couldnt see anything on the power usage bit using more than anything else. It was all low percentages. Ive put them all to sleep anyway to see what happens.

It couldnt be something silly like trying to find wifi all the time? As i do have that bt hotspot app.

If it is the battery itself will samsung likely replace that for me considering the phone is only two months old?

Thanks

Upvote 0
I have a Moto X 2nd Gen running Android 6.0. Seemingly out of nowhere, I had a problem with the battery that was causing it to drain rapidly, but worse than that, when it would get below 60%, it would shut off. Got to a point where I had to charge it anytime I was home, in my car, at my desk or really anytime I was near an outlet. I recently bought a new phone so I did a factory reset on the Moto X. In this virgin state, it now holds a charge for 3 days and the battery goes all the way down to 0% before it shut off. So I have to assume that there was at least one app installed that was killing the battery and messing with the battery percentage reporting to the OS. So I'm going to suggest to you that it may be an app that is causing your trouble. You may want to try removing some apps, or doing a factory reset and bringing apps back one at time until you can figure out which is the culprit.

Thanks for the reply will try removing some but cant think of any i recently downloaded that coincided with the problem :(

Upvote 0
You ask as to the battery life - it depends on what apps are running. Switch off Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, location, sync and also as to how you use the S8. I have a black screen as a background and have all of the aforementioned switched off and do not download films etc. and get up to four days (with a following wind).

You will receive lots of advice with regard to battery life.

Upvote 0
You ask as to the battery life - it depends on what apps are running. Switch off Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, location, sync and also as to how you use the S8. I have a black screen as a background and have all of the aforementioned switched off and do not download films etc. and get up to four days (with a following wind).

You will receive lots of advice with regard to battery life.

Thats the thing the phone does nothing for 8 hours during the night yet it drops 30%. Cant work out whats causing it. Will try turning off wifi though cheers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones