• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery swappin'

publicanimal

Android Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
I like the idea...I just bought a charger and one battery...Will be great for those going out nights when I forget to charge my phone at work...

With that said, I ordered the charger from another vendor on Amazon and used OFFEROO5 to get 5% off...They had a more expensive price for the charger, but a cheaper shipping fee that made it the same price overall before the discount. Saved me $.70 on the charger.

Upvote 0
I just bought two new Droid batteries (Amazon.com: Motorola DROID and DROID II 1300mah Standard Battery: Cell Phones & Service) on and a standalone Motorola battery charger (Amazon.com: Motorola OEM P323 Spare Battery Charger Only with MicroUSB and MiniUSB Connectors for Different Battery Families: Cell Phones & Service) on Amazon for a grand total of $28.51. I'm looking forward to no longer being concerned with battery life. Any daily battery swappers here?

I have two batteries and a stand alone battery charger. Works great. I always have a fully battery waiting for me.

Upvote 0
Bought exactly the items you did (great minds think alike... then again, so do morons :). Actually, bought two of the batteries since they were so cheap. Half expected them to be duds at that price, but it all works just fine.
Last thing I do every morning before leaving for work is swap the batteries. Doesn't take much longer than plugging in with the wall charger, gives the handset an instant full charge, & a daily reboot.
Definitely consider it money well spent.

Upvote 0
When my spare battery (don't ask how I got it) went through the washer and dryer the other day (that's what you get for always having it in my pocket) I was worried that I would have to pay a fortune for a new one, however the battery survived and is working great! But with the prices listed at amazon.com I think I will buy another one (or two) just for the heck of it.

Upvote 0
How can the batteries sold on Amazon for under $5 with free shipping (from China) be truly OEM, even though the ad states OEM? I've bought a couple for my Droid and one for a VX8700, with the external chargers. They all work, but the batteries don't seem to have the capacity of the original. However, it will get me through the day if I find that the battery in the phone is running low. So I charge my phone with the original battery inside with a cord, overnight, but when inconvenient to tether the phone to a charger, I'll swap batteries.

Upvote 0
The markup in electronics is insane. If you import a container of anything you are moving decimal places in cost - bottom line, the ones I got from Amazon look identical to the OEM battery that came with the phone and I have no doubt they are genuine.

The only thing I did notice is that the battery dates are a little further out vs what I saw in the verizon store. But at 1/5 or so the price - worth a gamble.

I got two batches and I have marked all of them to see if I can tell the difference over time and record which one fails first.

As of now, a few months in, there is no discernible difference. Not a scientific test, but for the money - worth it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones