• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
With the Maxx series I've had an easy time buying phones for years since battery trumps everything and until this year nothing's been close. Now there is the Samsung Note 4, the Turbo and the Nexus (along with the iPhone 6 +, but we don't need to go there).

So I'm going with the Turbo, which will be my family's 6th Maxx. I know I'll love it;

Or maybe I should go with the risky choice, even knowing that the Nexus battery or size might disappoint me.

Here's what I decided to do:

I don't need more than a day (and a few more hours) on a single charge. I sometimes end up with a dead Maxx because I'm out of the habit of charging every day. You know, I'm in bed, it's in my pocket, and, well, it'll be OK. Until tomorrow, when I find out it's the 2nd night in a row I used that logic:thinking:

But, will the Nexus last that critical full day of use? The stats say it should be close, but how will I know?

So it hit me: I'm getting the Nexus, I'll be able to live with the size, and test the battery for myself. I'm going to disable wi-fi and use it instead of my tablet to see how long it lasts in my own hands.

It'll be worth every penny of the $35 restock fee if I decide to send it back for the Turbo. If that's what happens, I will live with my Turbo knowing I don't have to see a Nexus, and wonder if I might have liked it more.....

Upvote 0
Turbo.JPG

Upvote 0
I held a iPhone 6+ in my hand yesterday. I realize the Nexus 6 is a bit bigger but not really noticeably bigger. I wanted to see how it fit in my hand. How it fit in my pocket. It was big, but nothing that I felt was "too big". Yeah I wish it were about 5.5" but the extra .4" isn't going to drive me away.

The one thing I know for sure. I'm not buying the Droid Turbo until I hold both and try both out.

Upvote 0
I'm seriously considering this phone, but I'm just not sold on the screen size. 5.2" just seems a little small to me. I'll have to wait til I have it in my hand to make a decision. For now, I'm leaning towards the nexus 6. It is a toss up between this and the Note 4 for number two. Of course, that could all change when I get my hands on one of these babies.

I do find it amusing that people are stating this is a better phone because of the camera and battery. The camera on the droid turbo and nexus have not been put through their paces yet, and megapixels means absolutely nothing in terms of picture quality.

Upvote 0
I went into Verizon today and played with the turbo for a couple minutes. Now I completely understand what's under the hood on this phone, but as far as the screen and overall look and feel I was pretty underwhelmed. Granted I'm on a droid maxx now, it didn't have that wow factor I was looking for. I will probably still end up with the turbo but not before I get to have some hands on time with the nexus.

Upvote 0
I went into Verizon today and played with the turbo for a couple minutes. Now I completely understand what's under the hood on this phone, but as far as the screen and overall look and feel I was pretty underwhelmed. Granted I'm on a droid maxx now, it didn't have that wow factor I was looking for. I will probably still end up with the turbo but not before I get to have some hands on time with the nexus.
I also was not overly impressed either,I want to see the N6

Upvote 0
I had the same dilemma. I also came from a Maxx. Ultimately I opted for for the turbo for the following factors :

* Battery is a bit more important to me than screen size
* I really like the Kevlar Back Material (I got the kevlar back 64 gig model)
* I held the Note 4 and I really don't need that big of a screen
* This was available now and I had the itch! :D

Both are really outstanding phones. I must say in my very limited use, the camera is miles ahead of my Maxx, especially in low light situations.

Upvote 0
Id go with Turbo. After using for a day I am a little underwhelmed by it all. It's better than my RMHD but not meet the hype. It's fast but not blazing. The pics are better (esp in low light) but not fantastic. The limited camera options are kinda weak. I'm happy with the Turbo but not as excited as I was before I got it. That being said, Id go with Turbo over the Nexus because of the battery alone. My phone came with 47% charge at 10am yesterday, used it down to 20%, charged it up to full at 5pm, and it is now at 52%...all in less than 24hrs. This tells me that 1) it wont last as long as my RMHD, and 2) the screen rez will eat up the batt!!! I still like the Turbo and I think it will outperform the Nexus in the long run. I don't really get the capacitive button issue. I like the fact that it doesn't take up screen space for the buttons on the Turbo!!

Upvote 0
Id go with Turbo. After using for a day I am a little underwhelmed by it all. It's better than my RMHD but not meet the hype. It's fast but not blazing. The pics are better (esp in low light) but not fantastic. The limited camera options are kinda weak. I'm happy with the Turbo but not as excited as I was before I got it.. That being said, Id go with Turbo over the Nexus because of the battery alone. My phone came with 47% charge at 10am yesterday, used it down to 20%, charged it up to full at 5pm, and it is now at 52%...all in less than 24hrsThis tells me that 1) it wont last as long as my RMHD, and 2) the screen rez will eat up the batt!!! I still like the Turbo and I think it will outperform the Nexus in the long run. I don't really get the capacitive button issue. I like the fact that it doesn't take up screen space for the buttons on the Turbo!!

I had a hard time following your comments on the battery. You would get it over the nexus even though it doesnt match battery longevity of your old phone? Or are you extrapolating that if the MDT will last "longer" than the Nexus 6 (forecast based on your small sample)?

Upvote 0
I had a hard time following your comments on the battery. You would get it over the nexus even though it doesnt match battery longevity of your old phone? Or are you extrapolating that if the MDT will last "longer" than the Nexus 6 (forecast based on your small sample)?

Extrapolation for sure. Yes, the N6 has bigger screen and assumedly more resource hog, and smaller battery...I would go with MDT if I were going to get a new phone and battery life were most important. Looks as if the MDT will last about as long on batt life in my RMHD, which is actually a reasonable trade off since the MDT is so much more powerful a phone. Hope that clarifies.

Reactions: Bearcats
Upvote 0
Extrapolation for sure. Yes, the N6 has bigger screen and assumedly more resource hog, and smaller battery...I would go with MDT if I were going to get a new phone and battery life were most important. Looks as if the MDT will last about as long on batt life in my RMHD, which is actually a reasonable trade off since the MDT is so much more powerful a phone. Hope that clarifies.

It does. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Id go with Turbo. After using for a day I am a little underwhelmed by it all. It's better than my RMHD but not meet the hype. It's fast but not blazing. The pics are better (esp in low light) but not fantastic. The limited camera options are kinda weak. I'm happy with the Turbo but not as excited as I was before I got it. That being said, Id go with Turbo over the Nexus because of the battery alone. My phone came with 47% charge at 10am yesterday, used it down to 20%, charged it up to full at 5pm, and it is now at 52%...all in less than 24hrs. This tells me that 1) it wont last as long as my RMHD, and 2) the screen rez will eat up the batt!!! I still like the Turbo and I think it will outperform the Nexus in the long run. I don't really get the capacitive button issue. I like the fact that it doesn't take up screen space for the buttons on the Turbo!!

In my experience it takes a few cycles to really tell where the battery will be. Let's see where you are at after a week of use.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones