1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Root Benefits of Cyanogen Mod 6?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lisalover1, Sep 11, 2010.

1. lisalover1

lisalover1 Member

Jun 5, 2010
    I have a rooted HTC Evo with the stock 2.2 system, and I am considering installing Cyanogen Mod 6, but I'm not sure if it is worth the hassle. What benefits does CM6 have over the rooted version of Froyo on the Evo. I kind of like the Sense UI, so that keeps me from going ahead and installing it. I know that Bluetooth controllers actually work in emulators if you use CM6, so that is a major selling point for me. Is there anything else I should know?

Advertisement

2. The Evo All Things Root forums will probably get you more responses to your question, lisalover1, than the Android Lounge.. so I moved the thread for you. ;)

3. surfologist87

surfologist87 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    behind you
    With ROMS, the best way to find out is to flash it and try it out actually. I have tried a few today just to see :D
    Before you flash or change anything, make a NANDRIOD BACKUP!!
    Just in case you were wrong and need to go back. :)

And if anyone would like to comment and help her out, also, I tried flashing Cyanogen to my Evo, and got an error, and I dont know why? :(
    Any suggestions?

4. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!

Jul 7, 2010
    Cyanogen is an AOSP (Android open source project) ROM, which means it doesn't contain any proprietary software like HTC Sense. If you like Sense, this ROM might seem a bit lacking at first, since the stock Android apps can be weak and/or boring. You'll need to find replacement apps/widgets for a lot of things you take for granted when running Sense UI.

I think the main advantages this ROM has over others is that it comes with dropbear sshd, and there's a lot of work done to support HID (human interfaceable devices) bluetooth devices. You can pair keyboard and mouse to your evo and use it like a traditional PC. You can also use it as a Wii controller.

Like most custom ROMs, wifi tether is enabled, and you get a host of other modded kernel goodies, like the FPS uncap, improved finger tracking, 3 or 5 pt multitouch, CPU throttling, etc.

Unlike other custom ROMs, 4G, FM radio, and HDMI are not working yet.

Tags: