• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Benefits of Cyanogen Mod 6?

lisalover1

Jun 5, 2010
I have a rooted HTC Evo with the stock 2.2 system, and I am considering installing Cyanogen Mod 6, but I'm not sure if it is worth the hassle. What benefits does CM6 have over the rooted version of Froyo on the Evo. I kind of like the Sense UI, so that keeps me from going ahead and installing it. I know that Bluetooth controllers actually work in emulators if you use CM6, so that is a major selling point for me. Is there anything else I should know?

I have a rooted HTC Evo with the stock 2.2 system, and I am considering installing Cyanogen Mod 6, but I'm not sure if it is worth the hassle. What benefits does CM6 have over the rooted version of Froyo on the Evo. I kind of like the Sense UI, so that keeps me from going ahead and installing it. I know that Bluetooth controllers actually work in emulators if you use CM6, so that is a major selling point for me. Is there anything else I should know?

With ROMS, the best way to find out is to flash it and try it out actually. I have tried a few today just to see :D
Before you flash or change anything, make a NANDRIOD BACKUP!!
Just in case you were wrong and need to go back. :)

And if anyone would like to comment and help her out, also, I tried flashing Cyanogen to my Evo, and got an error, and I dont know why? :(
Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

Cyanogen is an AOSP (Android open source project) ROM, which means it doesn't contain any proprietary software like HTC Sense. If you like Sense, this ROM might seem a bit lacking at first, since the stock Android apps can be weak and/or boring. You'll need to find replacement apps/widgets for a lot of things you take for granted when running Sense UI.

I think the main advantages this ROM has over others is that it comes with dropbear sshd, and there's a lot of work done to support HID (human interfaceable devices) bluetooth devices. You can pair keyboard and mouse to your evo and use it like a traditional PC. You can also use it as a Wii controller.

Like most custom ROMs, wifi tether is enabled, and you get a host of other modded kernel goodies, like the FPS uncap, improved finger tracking, 3 or 5 pt multitouch, CPU throttling, etc.

Unlike other custom ROMs, 4G, FM radio, and HDMI are not working yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones