• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Android Phones with Removable Battery (medium Priced)?

Hello

NOTE - please read my full list before posting - thank you
smile.gif

I'm looking for a list of the best Brand New (Definitely Not Secondhand) Android phones with Removable Batteries. BTW this is for Australia if that matters.
I really really would prefer Removable Batteries - but if that's almost impossible these days - feel free to include some NON Removable Battery options too but please label them clearly as such!

Price - I don't need it as an expensive status symbol! It's just a useful daily workhorse.

I'd like something affordable to Nice eg not dodgy but don't want to overspend for no reason. Value and functionality and some future proofing.
I had spent US $275 / AUD $385; 4.5 years ago to buy a Samsung Galaxy S5 on special.

I'm told you could get something equivalent or better now for maybe US $70-140 / AUD $100-200? Is that true?
If possible I'd prefer to spend the same as I did before or ideally much less if it's not necessary now?

So give me a cheaper and a middle/top priced option if you can.
I will only consider spending a bit more this time Only if there's a really good reason.

If you can suggest the cheapest you can get a specific model that would be cool.
Any suggestions on the best places to get it would be great too?

PLEASE list the CURRENCY for whatever prices you write down ok
smile.gif

I don't need it for games, I mainly do heavy browsing (a lot of tabs/windows), streaming TV/Chromecast to 4KTV etc, take photos/video, listen to podcasts/audiobooks.

It would be nice if it got pretty loud/sounded pretty good for listening to audiobooks on speaker sometimes in my pocket while around the house?

I listen to music so must have headphone plug or other way to do so eg USB-C (not sure about that?)
BTW I have a Windows PC with USB 3 only - but suppose I can get a hub for USB-C if it came up?
I'm not an Apple person ok.

Will not be ROOTING it - so need a phone that can function properly even with all the Bloatware (uninstall/rRoll back as much as I can).
If you can list the actual internal storage excluding Bloatware that would be cool?

Would prefer a lot of optional storage on SD card etc to install apps and store loads of music/audiobooks/photos etc.

Must be Android 6 or higher I assume? What minimum would you suggest for that?

I like the size of the S5 - ideally prefer a new phone that's a similar size - really don't want to get much bigger/thicker than that "if I can help it"?
But I know I might be right out of luck there from what I've hear? Especially if I add a case which I've never done.

I use a prepaid SIM, so prefer unlocked phone. Dual SIM's would be nice but not essential.
Prefer 1080p, rear camera at least as good as S5. NFC and other funky tech?
I Plan on buying and using the hell out of Tasker etc (eg maybe with NFC)?

So basically I'd like something at least as good as the S5 specs wise - but doesn't necessarily have to be that much better if at all.

BTW what are the new technologies/formats I should get in a new phone like this?
Eg back then it was NFC, and what's the minimum Bluetooth you should get?

I'm out of the loop for the last 4.5 years of Android advancements (actually way before that) so please fill me in on the goodies and toys I might want
smile.gif

Oh and what's the best options for Wireless Charging for a new phone in this price range?
QI? if not QI - what tech standards are they now?

Never tried it wireless charging - but want to!
Last I heard - you put a Price Tag looking piece of paper looking thin charging pad in the back of the phone over the battery and use that to charge if the phone didn't come natively with wireless charging capacity.
Is that the best option still - others too?

Is Quick Charging still a bad idea/damage battery?

Any recommendations on Wireless Docks vs Pads etc for above?
And car accessories too for Charging Wireless or otherwise?

What storage type do they use now?
What's a good price for what size?

Suggestions for Protective Cases and toughened glass/porcelain or whatever screen protectors?
Again - affordable but quality? Prefer not too thick/heavy, not mess up touch sensitivity.

Best websites to look up phone info and places to buy online/bricks and mortar? Any to avoid?

Anything I've missed? Any interesting, good or bad things to think about or things/scams to avoid?

Thanks for your help - I appreciate your time!

Dylan Beckett

As far as removeable batteries, you will most likely be talking about a cheap phone.

No judgments here, as I am in that same boat.

Motorola has some nice cheap ones, the Moto e6 and the Moto e.

Now the crappy thing is that the Straight Talk locked version of the Moto e6 is $40 USD, and the Straight Talk locked version of the Moto e is $50 USD.
Unlocked, the Moto e6 is $150 USD, while the unlocked Moto e is $120 USD.
I don't understand the pricing either.

Anyway, I recently purchased all three.
And for some reason, the unlocked Moto e has a non-replaceable battery.
The locked version has a removeable battery.

The unlocked one is supposed to be splash resistant, so perhaps the seal is what makes the battery not replaceable.

Upvote 0
The Samsung Galaxy Xcover Pro appears to be one of the very, very few phones to have all or most of what you want. Around $400, and it's a rugged smartphone.

If you are OK going down to a 720p screen the Samsung Galaxy Xcover 5 is cheaper, around $300.

For under $140? Probably the Moto E6 puppykickr mentioned.

Upvote 0
Hello

You can still find new LG V20's on E-bay. You can find new batteries, too. Best phone for audio, too, with a quad-dac headphone jack.
Phone is a few years old, but was a flagship model when it was released.

Good Luck,
Frank

NOTE - please read my full list before posting - thank you
smile.gif

I'm looking for a list of the best Brand New (Definitely Not Secondhand) Android phones with Removable Batteries. BTW this is for Australia if that matters.
I really really would prefer Removable Batteries - but if that's almost impossible these days - feel free to include some NON Removable Battery options too but please label them clearly as such!

Price - I don't need it as an expensive status symbol! It's just a useful daily workhorse.

I'd like something affordable to Nice eg not dodgy but don't want to overspend for no reason. Value and functionality and some future proofing.
I had spent US $275 / AUD $385; 4.5 years ago to buy a Samsung Galaxy S5 on special.

I'm told you could get something equivalent or better now for maybe US $70-140 / AUD $100-200? Is that true?
If possible I'd prefer to spend the same as I did before or ideally much less if it's not necessary now?

So give me a cheaper and a middle/top priced option if you can.
I will only consider spending a bit more this time Only if there's a really good reason.

If you can suggest the cheapest you can get a specific model that would be cool.
Any suggestions on the best places to get it would be great too?

PLEASE list the CURRENCY for whatever prices you write down ok
smile.gif

I don't need it for games, I mainly do heavy browsing (a lot of tabs/windows), streaming TV/Chromecast to 4KTV etc, take photos/video, listen to podcasts/audiobooks.

It would be nice if it got pretty loud/sounded pretty good for listening to audiobooks on speaker sometimes in my pocket while around the house?

I listen to music so must have headphone plug or other way to do so eg USB-C (not sure about that?)
BTW I have a Windows PC with USB 3 only - but suppose I can get a hub for USB-C if it came up?
I'm not an Apple person ok.

Will not be ROOTING it - so need a phone that can function properly even with all the Bloatware (uninstall/rRoll back as much as I can).
If you can list the actual internal storage excluding Bloatware that would be cool?

Would prefer a lot of optional storage on SD card etc to install apps and store loads of music/audiobooks/photos etc.

Must be Android 6 or higher I assume? What minimum would you suggest for that?

I like the size of the S5 - ideally prefer a new phone that's a similar size - really don't want to get much bigger/thicker than that "if I can help it"?
But I know I might be right out of luck there from what I've hear? Especially if I add a case which I've never done.

I use a prepaid SIM, so prefer unlocked phone. Dual SIM's would be nice but not essential.
Prefer 1080p, rear camera at least as good as S5. NFC and other funky tech?
I Plan on buying and using the hell out of Tasker etc (eg maybe with NFC)?

So basically I'd like something at least as good as the S5 specs wise - but doesn't necessarily have to be that much better if at all.

BTW what are the new technologies/formats I should get in a new phone like this?
Eg back then it was NFC, and what's the minimum Bluetooth you should get?

I'm out of the loop for the last 4.5 years of Android advancements (actually way before that) so please fill me in on the goodies and toys I might want
smile.gif

Oh and what's the best options for Wireless Charging for a new phone in this price range?
QI? if not QI - what tech standards are they now?

Never tried it wireless charging - but want to!
Last I heard - you put a Price Tag looking piece of paper looking thin charging pad in the back of the phone over the battery and use that to charge if the phone didn't come natively with wireless charging capacity.
Is that the best option still - others too?

Is Quick Charging still a bad idea/damage battery?

Any recommendations on Wireless Docks vs Pads etc for above?
And car accessories too for Charging Wireless or otherwise?

What storage type do they use now?
What's a good price for what size?

Suggestions for Protective Cases and toughened glass/porcelain or whatever screen protectors?
Again - affordable but quality? Prefer not too thick/heavy, not mess up touch sensitivity.

Best websites to look up phone info and places to buy online/bricks and mortar? Any to avoid?

Anything I've missed? Any interesting, good or bad things to think about or things/scams to avoid?

Thanks for your help - I appreciate your time!

Dylan Beckett

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones