• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Free Music Downloader?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Bstax and welcome to Android Forums!

Correct me if I'm wrong: but I think what you're wanting to do is get free music downloaded. While there are plenty of streaming music apps, just getting stuff for "free" constitutes piracy and Android Forums does not endorse or condone it.

In fact, piracy is something that we seriously oppose, and posting a how-to here is a fast-track to warnings, infractions and possible banning. And we don't like doing any of that.

Funkylogic does suggest that there are YouTube rippers out there, but that's about as far as this conversation will go. If it progresses into links, apps or how-to's on downloading music, the thread will be cleaned up and closed.

Anyway, it's great to have you here and we hope you enjoy your stay :)

Upvote 0
I guess this thread is only for google play downloaders,i will never suggest anything else.

For some months i found magnificent the capacity of usound player (lowlevel media) to find any type of songs,i downloaded much of them.Last month they had many problems with their engine.Now they updated again and it works quite well,but we are far away from the previous level.I suggest nevertheless to try it,it has now a very good engine again and i hope they will improve it updating it again.

The app 4shared (another excellent downloader in the past) seems dead to me.I am trying now some more google play downloaders,if i find everything that deserves attention i will indicate it.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Hi Bstax and welcome to Android Forums!

Correct me if I'm wrong: but I think what you're wanting to do is get free music downloaded. While there are plenty of streaming music apps, just getting stuff for "free" constitutes piracy and Android Forums does not endorse or condone it.

In fact, piracy is something that we seriously oppose, and posting a how-to here is a fast-track to warnings, infractions and possible banning. And we don't like doing any of that.

Funkylogic does suggest that there are YouTube rippers out there, but that's about as far as this conversation will go. If it progresses into links, apps or how-to's on downloading music, the thread will be cleaned up and closed.

Anyway, it's great to have you here and we hope you enjoy your stay :)

There is plenty of music whose license allows free downloading. I suspect, in fact, that there is far more legal free music on the internet than pirated music, though the pirated music is certainly more popular. Perhaps there is an app that makes it convenient to access some of the legal free stuff and we could discuss that?

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
There is plenty of music whose license allows free downloading. I suspect, in fact, that there is far more legal free music on the internet than pirated music, though the pirated music is certainly more popular. Perhaps there is an app that makes it convenient to access some of the legal free stuff and we could discuss that?

That is ALWAYS allowed :)

Upvote 0
Some people think that google/youtube t&cs apply to this forum. I dont but i respect that opinion :beer:
I guess we might as well find out who thinks that on this thread...

Well I know that Google does not want you to do it. Thank goodness the law of the land does not state that I must do as Google says, after doing my own research here is what I have found.

If you are concerned with the legalities of ripping music from online streaming sites such as YouTube or Google's new music offering then read on. If not then you can skip to my answer to the OP at the end.

Is ripping streamed music illegal?

No absolutely not! The general consensus is that streaming web sites like YouTube and Google Play Music All Access (GPMAA) are legal to rip f:rom for personal use. Nobody has ever been tried in court for this matter. However here in the USA, the "Fair Use" provision of our Copyright law gives us the same rights here as they did when we were recording mix tapes from the radio or TV shows on VHS in the 90's. Even though BIG MEDIA did not want us consumers to be able to do these things (they spent tons of cash lobbying against it).

As you said this is against Google's T&Cs. But will I get banned from Google for ripping streamed music?

It is impossible for sites like YouTube & GPMAA to know that you are doing this, however ripping music does go against their terms of service. If you were to publicly announce that you were doing it in some way then they would have every right to ban you. But apart from this they could never know.

Can I pass the ripped songs on to my friends?

Legally, no you can not! This is a form of file sharing. You should only rip save or download for personal use.

to answer the OP I have added the word Legal to his/her original question and noted a paid unlimited downloads for a month to month cancel anytime and keep your music option in addition to the free option.

What Legal Software / Sites do I think are best for downloading music at no cost?

To answer the OP I have added the word Legal to his/her original question and noted a paid (GPMAA) unlimited downloads for a month to month cancel anytime and keep your ripped music option in addition to the free (YouTube) option.

YouTube:
best free online converter @ **mod removed link**

Google Play Music All Access:
A little stand alone program called **mod removed link** will allow you to rip/save higher quality music from GPMAA.
(this is way faster and you will end up with higher quality music than the YouTube ripping but it is not truly free)

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Please accept that while I am no longer staff, I DO know what I am talking about. Additionally, while I am NOT an attorney nor is this my forum, I DO know of and HAVE seen legal action taken against such behavior.

Let's start at the basics.

1) ANYONE can copy and paste what they found on a website. In fact, the majority of your post is plagiarized from another site. Please do not try to pass these words off as your own knowledge, research and words.

2) The site OWNER gets to decide what stays and goes. As you know from reading the Site Rules, the owner and Admin pretty much get to decide what stays and what goes. That is, they can allow whatever they want or don't want for whatever reason they want or don't want. The rules are all pretty clear on that....

Freedom of speech, another common argument soon follows this point, is not the case as it is a PRIVATELY owned and operated site. Just like I may allow you as a guest into my home, I may choose to tell you that you can't swear, put your feet up on my coffee table or kick my dog... my house, my rules. Likewise, HIS HOUSE, HIS RULES. Same concept. This isn't a "public" place where one can do as he likes.

3) Simply, the artist's music IS protected by copyright laws. This includes but is not limited to music, movies, books, etc. It is not public material, it is individually owned and said owner chose to share it with you. Just because they share it doesn't mean that it's yours to take. If they wanted you to download it, the artist would provide a link for you to get it for free. Copyright infringement is not taken lightly (example: LINK shows a massive lawsuit over TWENTY FOUR songs from an unknown source).

4) YES, you CAN copy music, movies, etc that you own (note that this doesn't mean that you own the RIGHTS to it). These copies are for personal use only and cannot legally be distributed (as you mentioned). You, in the case of youtube, have not "purchased" the rights to anything and have chosen to copy it from someone who was letting you listen to it. Simply put, it's theft.

This is all part of the reason that the site owner and admin have taken the stance that they have on these items. Are they personally going to save the world from those who want to DL items, no. Are they going to be able to stop it, no. However they CAN put their foot down and say that they will not allow it REGARDLESS of it's legal (or illegal) merits.

Such behavior has ALWAYS been shutdown on this forum. I'm sure that, would you like to discuss it openly, there are plenty of other sites on the internet that will gladly discuss it with you and allow you to do it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones