• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best local chromecast streaming option?

Sammael

Jul 11, 2011
So we finally have local streaming, but I've yet to try each of the 3 we have so far.

-plex
-avia
-realplayer cloud

So far I have only tried realplayer cloud and it works fine for video, with one MAJOR issue. It can't locally stream 1080p video... if you try it says the bitrate is too high and asks to upload it to the cloud for better streaming...

It's been so long since I streamed with allcast pre google bricking of the chromecast via allcast, but I do NOT remember 1080p being restricted from local streaming (such an obvious feature since most modern smartphones can record in 1080p).

Do the other apps have such restrictions? Can avia locally stream 1080p video? Can plex?

I'd like to know before I pay money. None of this "we need to upload it to the cloud," now wait 10 minutes for that to happen.

I've been using Plex since the day they added chromecast support. It has been working very well for us. It is awesome to be able to call up any video in our kids library of shows to the TV from our phones. It is incredibly convenient!

Right now, it's limited to plexpass customers, but I have a plexpass subscription in order to stream to our mobile devices when we are away from home.

I have noticed one issue, and I'm not sure if it is a plex problem or a chromecast problem. My anamorphic videos don't display with quite the right aspect ratio. Either Plex needs to pass some additional information to the chromecast regarding the video's properties, or the chromecast needs to be better about detecting the aspect and resolution of videos automatically.

I've been streaming everything on my local library from my plexserver. I haven't tried using my device as the plexserver since I don't keep videos on my phone. It is supposed to work, but I can't speak to how well at this time.

-SF

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
I have a computer running the free plex media center, then I use avia to cast to the chromecast. I've only used it for DVDs ripped to .m4v using handbrake. It works, but it is a bit annoying because of:

1. wrong aspect ratio: I'm not an expert on this, but the aspect ratio of all my .m4v files looks fine on everything except the chromecast. The only way I've found to fix it is to use the handbrake settings: anamorphic off and check the 'keep aspect ratio' button. Then it looks fine on the chromecast (to my untrained eye).

2. refresh issues: avia seems to have trouble with the plex server. Half the time the video list is empty until some combination of refreshing, waiting, and force closing convinces it to list videos correctly.

3. slow: takes a bit too long to start a movie or to jump around in movie. I don't know whether this is a problem with avia, plex, or the computer running plex...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones