• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Best method to delete apps when using Darktremor a2sd

kgee15

Jan 12, 2011
For those of you using Darktremor a2sd, what method do you go about deleting/uninstalling apps? I've used a few methods: Titanium backup, froyo manage applications, app 2 sd application, etc.

The one thing I've noticed is that sometimes the app isn't totally deleted. For instance, if I delete with app 2 sd (which uses froyo apps2sd I believe), I can still see the app icon in All Apps, but it won't open (error OSD is thrown). Is there a better way to do this? Perhaps through the terminal or something?

I'm having some other problems as well that have got me stumped which I highlighted in another thread (http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...havior-after-setting-up-a2sd.html#post2412196). The ROM seems to crash when I try to update apps or install new apps with around 260mb left in my a2sd partition.

Thanks for the reply Mr. Ed. It was recommended to me to keep apps 2 sd or something like it because there are times when apps are still installed on internal memory even with a2sd installed. I've seen this with a few apps especially games. With apps 2 sd, I can move it back to the phone. Are you able to do this with TB?

Upvote 0
i did 1002mb and the default swap size whatever that was.

occasionally I will open up terminal emulator and run the reinstall command just to make sure everything is on the partition

I don't see how anything can possibly end up on internal storage while you're using a2sd, or at least not without noticing some major problems. The directories where your apps are stored are replaced with links to the location on the card. If something got messed up, you would likely just not see any of your apps anymore. Of course, just rerunning reinstall shouldn't hurt.

Upvote 0
So instead of running apps 2 sd when I see an app or two in the SD card area, I can just run an a2sd reinstall?

I'm still seeing some weird behavior, but things seem to be working again for now. I was seeing issues with ROM crashing when reaching around 260mb of a2sd space. I proceeded to uninstall a couple apps which should have only taken up around 20mb at most. After uninstalling them via TB, my available space jumped to 340mb! I have no idea why. Needless to say, I'll just have to see when I reach 260mb again. I may just have to reformat the card and create a new partition again; maybe increasing it.

@Mr. Ed: wow, did I read right? 6 evos?

Upvote 0
I ran A2SD zipalign and it grabbed all of my apps no matter where they were if they were compatible, everything i install automatically goes in there now...

From Danthony over at xda in KU R3 thread here for the rest of it:
8. when your phone starts back up go back into terminal emulator and start with su again. Then type a2sd zipalign. let it run through and exit terminal.

9. You're Finished! all of your apps that are compatible (which will be damn near all of them with this a2sd) will be on the ext partition, and everything you install from here on out will automatically move to the ext partition for you. Unlike stock froyo a2sd, even when your apps are all installed on the ext, the widgets are fully functional and everything works completely. Hope you all love this as much as i do, i have around 140 apps installed plus all the apps from the rom that came stock, and i still have 340mb internal space free

Upvote 0
evomattnc, I did the zipalign command and it is set. I guess I should just leave everything as is. I may just do everything over again (reformat my SD card, etc) and start from scratch. It may be that these other app moving apps are causing my problems.

Is there anyway I can preserve the apps I already have in the a2sd partition? In other words, before I reformat the SD card, can I copy over the contents of the a2sd partition to another source and then copy it back over again to keep my apps intact? I probably should start from scratch but just curious.

Upvote 0
evomattnc, I did the zipalign command and it is set. I guess I should just leave everything as is. I may just do everything over again (reformat my SD card, etc) and start from scratch. It may be that these other app moving apps are causing my problems.

Is there anyway I can preserve the apps I already have in the a2sd partition? In other words, before I reformat the SD card, can I copy over the contents of the a2sd partition to another source and then copy it back over again to keep my apps intact? I probably should start from scratch but just curious.

Your best bet is to make sure you have all your apps (and data where applicable) backed up with titanium backup. You *could* just make a nandroid backup that includes only sd-ext, then restore just that partition later, but that kind of defeats the purpose, and might cause more problems that it would solve.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones